Getting Old sucks

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Getting Old sucks

Postby Dstew » Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 am

2015 - compression fracture in my low back due to hill repeats as I was going to do some "fun" half marathon trail races. When I finally recovered from that injury, I decide to not do anything. Gained a ton of weight and was told given everything, I had about a 25% chance of having a heart attack or stroke in the next five years. So to lose that weight and gain health, I walked. A lot. I then started to run. Hurt my back again but did manage to run a odd 29 K race up to the peak of a mountain and back down in 2016. Decided running was too hard on my body so bought a road bike in July 2016. Did my first 100 K "event" in September. Did a 10 K race in 2017 and ran well above my expectations. Problem is, the wear and tear was no longer worth it and that is likely the last "race" I will ever do. I never want to say never but fast forward in 2019, anytime I run even several hundred meters, my left calf acts up and so I no longer run. Did several rides in 2017 and finished with a 100 mile ride. It was oddly unsatisfying and seemed to be more self torture than a glorious achievement. I had bought a mountain bike earlier in the year as there were a few events I figured I could quickly get in shape to ride. But I lack the basic skills and as it turned out, any real desire to become a shredder. I was happy exploring here and there for an hour or so.

The winter of 2017, I bought a fat bike. I rode it a lot. Both on snow and later in the summer to conquer some hills I had trouble with my mountain bike. In the process, I tore my rotator cuff. So this winter, I cut back on the riding but still managed to mess up my knee when I bailed into what I thought was a snow bank but was actually a pile of rocks with a thin layer of snow.

Recovered from the knee injury, the rotator cuff injury and even a back injury during the last big snow fall. The calf was sore but what can you do. I was ahead of schedule, feeling good so went on a 93 K ride. I was not pushing hard as my longest ride this year was around 60 K. It was a hilly ride and around 30 K, not really pushing it, I felt a twinge in the back. The next day, I would barely move. Rested two days, went for a hard 60 K ride and again, could not move the next day. Felt better but a 25 K ride and again, could not move. Over did the stretching to rush my recovery and back to physio. The first treatment was good. So tried to swing a golf club as I had nine holes booked. Got in about 10 swings before you guessed it, I could not move.

I never really appreciated what one of my dad's friends told me about 10 years ago until now. He said if anyone tells you that these are the golden years and he was talking about 60 something, tell them that they are a f*cking liar. I have abused and misused my body to achieve arbitrary and right now seems like meaningless goals so I may have a much finer line between healthy and injured. But this does not mean getting older and having the line become finer and finer is any less acceptable.

Given all of this, I will figure a way to patch my body together and do a 159 K ride in July and a 100 K ride in September. Today was the Calgary marathon. I am going to say Stubborn, my wife stupid, but I believe that if I devote next year to actually allowing my body to rest and recover, in 5 years when the Calgary marathon will turn 60 as will I, I can jog that marathon with a very lofty goal of doing so in around 5 hours or so. The so being more than 5 hours.

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Re: Getting Old sucks

Postby wantmeback » Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi! Nice to see you!

Yes, getting old certainly sucks at times. I just got back into running again last year and it's amazing how much a few years does to a body. I wish I had some good advice but since I'm a work in progress as well, all I can say is hang in there and don't be afraid to adjust your efforts to what your body can handle. Pushing it doesn't have to mean exceeding what you have done before. It might just mean doing something active (walk, easy ride) the day after a hard workout rather than trying another, slightly less hard, workout. More than I did 15 years ago I am putting emphasis on what a rest day is for. :)
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Getting Old sucks

Postby Dstew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 pm

I did a 153 K Fondo last September. It is actually quite fun and rewarding for about 132 K of that ride or so. I had been part of a 4 - 6 man ad hoc team and a couple of these guys who passed on my a last huge and 2 K long climb stuck around to thank me for doing most of the work - I had been feeling good for most of ride and would get impatient when the pace slowed too much for my liking so I had ended up doing more than my fair share of the lead. So that lead me to register for a 159 K Fondo this July. The other side of the coin was the training was miserable and I faded badly in the last few kilometers and I was stiff and sore for weeks following the event. Thus I figured my body had one more long ride in it and this time, I would "train" hard but not to a point where I would over do it. A winter of fat biking had my legs strong and I was far ahead of schedule so took on a long ride of 95 with a ton of climbing - strained my back on that ride. No problem, a couple of days rest and I felt good on my 65 K ride until I got off the back and had aggravated the strain. Then got too aggressive stretching to deal with strain and muscle spasms and reignited an old SI injury from a self inflicted compression fracture. A short ride would cure that or so I thought but it aggravated that. So off the physio and finally was making some good progress. Had a business trip and what could be safer than swimming - problem is it really put my SI and hip out of place and now the back pain was radiating down into my foot. The odd thing is no pain on the bike but off, I can barely walk. No regrets signing up for the fondo and I continue to train but if this is not my body telling me I am too old, have too many hard miles, then I am not sure what sign I need to see. The funny thing is I was doing a long ride and had finished the hard climbing and thought to myself, if it were not for the Fondo in about a month, I would have turned around and rode back home with one hell of a good workout. But instead I continued on. At the 50 K mark I stopped at TIms - my back had seized up and so there I am in a small patch of grass doing my physio exercises. The back loosened up enough to finish the ride very strong and the severe pain and stiffness only lasted a day but again, 50 K is not a short or terrible ride and something I start to need to restrict myself to once July had passed.

Return to “General Running Discussion”