The Ankle Express ... anyone?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

The Ankle Express ... anyone?

Postby The Joggler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Does anyone else here run to commute to or from work?

For three years I ran to and from work almost every day, for a total of 26km of running per day. It was my secret to high-mileage marathon training on a tight schedule.

Nowadays, I only run home and take the subway there, but I still love it. I'm surprised more people don't use commuting as part of their training. It's a huge time-saver – I can actually run home in the same time it takes me on the subway.

The running commute does lead to some awkward situations, though. Now that I'm only running home, I can't wear a big winter coat to work because there's no way I can fit it into my backpack, so I always end up wearing a thin running jacket.

Then there's the issue of shoes. I'm constantly shuttling work shoes and running shoes back and forth, and often end up wearing running shoes with nice clothes in the morning as I take the subway, because I didn't want to carry my work shoes home in the backpack.

I'd love to hear some stories from others who take the Ankle Express.

http://thejoggler.blogspot.com
The Joggler

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

I've only done it in the summer and only commuted home. For me, that's about 9K (50 minutes or so, the last 2K being uphill). It only takes me slightly longer than the TTC (but not as fast as the GO). I also commute by bike, which is the fastest method (25 minutes there, 30 minutes home).

BJH is a big run commuter, but she's away on vacation in New Mexico right now (:violin:). I'm sure she'd have some good experiences to share.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:47 pm

In September and October I was doing it during my 'off season'... but my commute only totals about 7km round trip. But I was doing it every day. The frequency definitely paid off. Now that my Ironman training has picked up again it is just too much... I need some recovery time or else I start sacrificing workouts.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:01 pm

I wish I could. I've tried a number of different things - but, I live 25 km from work. (which is perfect on bike!).....

From sweetpea's fall commuting, I actually started running 2 miles after work as often as possible - as SOON as I got home - which made the time commitment seem less.....(and the dog loves me for it!)
Last edited by Irongirl on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Ever since I got home dispatch my commute is the walk from my back door to my parking pad. But I do get that 30' in every day :)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:08 pm

For my first marathon in 2004 I was running to work once a week or so for a few weeks while building and peaking in the summer months ... 25K from home to work ... and bus it home ... then I stopped to avoid training....

And, the following summer, I would ride once or twice to work and back, but with the lack of secured parking for bikes in downtown Ottawa, it just wasn't worth the hastle .... and, I also found it more efficient and better to bus it home in stead of biking 25K each way, and do a long 50-90K bike ride in the country side then fighting traffic on the roads and bike paths in rush hour ....

But, if secured biking facilities were available, I would definitely reconsider ... but, til then .... no way ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:12 pm

In the spring, summer and fall, I pick one night a week to run home, usually Tuesday, and do it as a comfortably hard run. Distance varies from 9 to 14 km, depending on the route I choose.
BG

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:14 pm

prior to my job change it wasn't an option because I had to have my car for work (driving clients around, etc.). Now it's not an option because work is 50k away, lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:19 pm

I've bike-commuted and run-commuted and had all the issues you describe shuttling clothing back and forth, having the wrong clothes in the wrong place, not having a belt, that sort of thing.

One thing that works for me is instead of always running in the same direction, switch it up i.e. run home from work on Tuesday and run into work on Wednesday. Its hard to explain but it seems to make it easier to get the right stuff in the right place.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:31 pm

klewlis wrote:prior to my job change it wasn't an option because I had to have my car for work (driving clients around, etc.). Now it's not an option because work is 50k away, lol.

hmmm, seems like you have a good way to train for a 100 miler now!!!!

Leadville 100??!!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm

All year / season bike commuter!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:40 pm

I commuted on my bike for four years but got fed up with the logistics.

I have always liked the expressions "travel by shanks' mare" and "travel by shanks' pony" to describe getting around by foot. This is the first time I hear/read "ankle express."
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:04 pm

ultrarune wrote:
klewlis wrote:prior to my job change it wasn't an option because I had to have my car for work (driving clients around, etc.). Now it's not an option because work is 50k away, lol.

hmmm, seems like you have a good way to train for a 100 miler now!!!!

Leadville 100??!!

dream on!

I would never finish a 100 miles before the cutoff, on any race!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

I starting commuting home from work in the fall, before the snow hit. The first half of my run was quite undesirable, so I started taking one bus to downtown, and then running home from there (instead of getting on a second bus). It was about 8-12K depending on the route.

I did find the clothing issues to be difficult, so I stopped in the winter (too much to carry around - difficult to wear my coat in the morning, and then leave it at work, and then have no coat the next day etc). When it gets warm again, I will probably start back up, 1-2 days/wk.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Once the spring weather arrives, I plan to "run commute" a couple times per week. For me it'll be difficult because I live 35K from work, so I'll have to run part way and take TTC the rest of the way (and there's no direct route). So what now takes me 40 minutes by car will take about 2hrs by foot/TTC. Still, I'm really looking forward to it! 8)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:07 pm

dgrant wrote:Once the spring weather arrives, I plan to "run commute" a couple times per week. For me it'll be difficult because I live 35K from work, so I'll have to run part way and take TTC the rest of the way (and there's no direct route). So what now takes me 40 minutes by car will take about 2hrs by foot/TTC. Still, I'm really looking forward to it! 8)

really? then 2 hours EACH WAY?? how often will you do that??

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:10 pm

dgrant wrote:Once the spring weather arrives, I plan to "run commute" a couple times per week. For me it'll be difficult because I live 35K from work, so I'll have to run part way and take TTC the rest of the way (and there's no direct route). So what now takes me 40 minutes by car will take about 2hrs by foot/TTC. Still, I'm really looking forward to it! 8)

Good for you Dave, I think you'll find it a relatively easy way to pack the huge amount of running I know you're planning into a crowded life.

Holly, when the sidewalks are better I regularly run in from my house (and you know where I live) to downtown .
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:10 pm

It'll happen this summer. I swear. I'm 4k from work. But 4k of lovely, lovely hills. I was thinking once or twice a week. And adding on a longer run in the morning.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:12 pm

klewlis wrote:

really? then 2 hours EACH WAY?? how often will you do that??

I don't know... we'll see how it goes. The running part will be a breeze (about 11K, net downhill, so maybe an hour), but the TTC part is two subway lines and a SLOOOOW streetcar. But at least once I'm home that's it for the night, as opposed to taking 40 minutes to get home, then going out for an hour run.

If I remember correctly from old press clippings, I think Michal the Joggler lives in my neighbourhood, so maybe I can run part way and he can piggyback me the rest. :lol: :lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 pm

Not to mention the added stress of having to be on the TTC, eh Dave? :wink:

I used to work up in Markham (Warden/Dennison). It was 21K each way. I always thought about riding my bike, but I was nervous about riding on Warden since most drivers in that area aren't used to seeing cyclists on the main roads. And like Dave said, it wasn't a direct route by public transit (which is why I always drove).

I'm not sure where in Richmond Hill/Markham you are, but I'd likely run the sections that required to most awkward commute by public transit. For me, that would have been from Warden/St.Clair to Kingston/Woodbine.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:51 pm

mike runs wrote:Holly, when the sidewalks are better I regularly run in from my house (and you know where I live) to downtown .

how far is it?

The other day I did my long run on the streets... went all the way from heritage to goldbar and back, for 20 miles. It was a long run but it took me much further than I expected! I could have gotten downtown in a much shorter time... hm... something to consider. I still think about running to school and back... the problem then is carrying books, etc... and being all sweaty when I get there! Logistically, it's such a pain!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Will start biking again soon - the DH is moving office buildings, so as such, I lose my secure bike parking stall :cry: , but it was a good day today as I was able to get secure bike parking through the Calgary Parking Authority for $10 a month! :)

won't leave my bike outside of my work building.....

during the winter and training, I would often bring my running gear and just add distance to my run home and then I didn't have to go out again....each way is about 3.5-4k....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:20 pm

klewlis wrote:
mike runs wrote:Holly, when the sidewalks are better I regularly run in from my house (and you know where I live) to downtown .

how far is it?

The other day I did my long run on the streets... went all the way from heritage to goldbar and back, for 20 miles. It was a long run but it took me much further than I expected! I could have gotten downtown in a much shorter time... hm... something to consider. I still think about running to school and back... the problem then is carrying books, etc... and being all sweaty when I get there! Logistically, it's such a pain!

16k on city streets, about 22 on river pathways.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:28 pm

mike runs wrote:
klewlis wrote:

how far is it?

16k on city streets, about 22 on river pathways.

so, a good 10+ miles. Nice!

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:12 pm

Good to see I'm not alone.

I too have forgotten various articles of clothing – usually socks or a belt, but once I ran to work and realized to my utter dismay when I arrived that I had forgotten my pants! I had to work in running shorts for the start of my 6 a.m. shift, then go out and buy a pair of pants when the stores opened.

http://thejoggler.blogspot.com
Michal

Return to “General Running Discussion”