Why does running make me want to &h!t so much????

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

joanned74
Tom Longboat

Postby joanned74 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 pm

Running itself has never caused me any "poop" issues, but last week I caught a virus and then ran a race on Sunday while still suffering the "runs". It was easily the worst run of my life and if my DH hadn't been running with me I would have just layed down in a ditch and waited for rescue. I cannot even imagine how brutal it would be to suffer like that on all or even a few of my runs!! I don't have any advice but I would like to commend those of you who are suffering from this and are perservering - I'm pretty sure I would quit running if it were me!! Good luck in your quest to end the "runny" runs!!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 pm

campbellskid wrote:I will take immodium the morning of a long run or race and make sure I drink more during and also take pepto the morning of a shorter run

I know this is a fun thread and silly but it literally does affect some people

however I think I will give up running before I hit the pet store for gerbils :wink:

I hear you....last summer when I was training for the FullM I was having digestive problems...I thinking living in the basement for two months with no kitchen did not agree with me...and Mike suggested I consider taking immodium ...I did a couple of times...and fortunately did not need to pre race.

You're absolutely right CK...this digestive stuff is not fun for many people...I used to have an iron stomach...until 1990 when I went through a terrible time...and it seems that since then anytime I'm under great stress I have digestive woes :roll:

Even though this thread has had its silly moments...it's been a great one because I now know I'm not the only one out there who has to manage these issues! :roll: :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Why does running make me want to &h!t so much????

Postby dgrant » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm

After nearly six dormant years, this thread needs a bump. It's RM's alltime #2 thread.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:26 pm

2007, also known as the good ol'days!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby runJrun » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm

rune160 wrote:some good advice has been given on this board. to clarify a little my diet hasn't changed since WS100. It is still a cup of java, 20 ounce coke and 10 pitted dried prunes prior to each run.

I don't know what prompted me to take this person's advice (who will remain nameless due to legal case now pending) but they said that I should "cork it" while running and let 'er rip upon getting back to a restroom with the necessary accessories like &h!t tickets, baby wipes, baby powder etc. What I didn't understand was the "cork it" was a metaphor which I took literally and for breakfast added a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Syrah (2002) and then put the cork from the bottle in my hind end. So about 6 miles into my 11 miler this morning I am in the zoo section of the pathway and I feel the coke and brownies making a comeback. I don't really worry as I have this wine bottle cork for protection and figure I can let out an air biscuit or whatever and this is what the cork is for. Anyways, one of my best farts to date must of occurred cause next thing I know the cork is shot like a rocket out my hind end, through my Patagonia Ultra Shorts (www.patagonia.com) and like a Russian biathlete it hits the baby grizzly bear in the temple and renders her unconscious.

Back to the drawing board......

Had to bring this up to date in case others don't read the entire thread :)
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:13 am

Picture the scene: a young admin assistant clicks on the link to an older thread, thinking that she's had that problem too, and might find some commiseration. But the link is a bit old, so maybe she'll start with the last post (not remembering that it's usually at the end of these lists that the really wild suggestions start to come out).

She starts reading about coffee... then coke... then pitted prunes, and her brow crinkles in bemusement. Surely prunes can't help the situation, can they?

Then the story about the cork begins, and her jaw drops open. She flushes, her eyes widen; she nervously starts to click around, trying to see what led to this point. By the time the bear enters the story, the assistant gets the joke and she has to control her bursts of laughter for fear that her coworkers will come to check on her.

Thank you for the laugh. :)
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm

JoaniB wrote:Picture the scene: a young admin assistant clicks on the link to an older thread, thinking that she's had that problem too, and might find some commiseration. But the link is a bit old, so maybe she'll start with the last post (not remembering that it's usually at the end of these lists that the really wild suggestions start to come out).

She starts reading about coffee... then coke... then pitted prunes, and her brow crinkles in bemusement. Surely prunes can't help the situation, can they?

Then the story about the cork begins, and her jaw drops open. She flushes, her eyes widen; she nervously starts to click around, trying to see what led to this point. By the time the bear enters the story, the assistant gets the joke and she has to control her bursts of laughter for fear that her coworkers will come to check on her.

Thank you for the laugh. :)

So I click on a thread "Question for the guys" yesterday and I bump the thread. Now look what pops up from the archives.
This is too funny from what I read, I'll need more time to read this gem, say over a beer tonight.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:23 pm

That was awesome...thanks! needed that today :)

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:02 pm

An update, as of last night. Our poopy friend has found some measure of relief thanks to his return to sea level. He blames Calgary for his HAFE. (But I'd say he's still full of hot air! :P )
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:42 pm

:lol: :lol: If someone was going to bump this thread, it was going to be you.
I'm too lazy to check, but I'm sure I must have posted in this thread. I did many a fertilizer runs... Now I do longer runs so I can jump in the bushes more often. Win-win. ;)
I wonder is ryne has found the answer... :think:
Ultrarunner again

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 pm

bruyere wrote:An update, as of last night. Our poopy friend has found some measure of relief thanks to his return to sea level. He blames Calgary for his HAFE. (But I'd say he's still full of hot air! :P )

Oh, good to know. Thanks for the update.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “General Running Discussion”