Why does running make me want to &h!t so much????

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:46 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
Jwolf wrote:All kidding aside... since this is a new problem that only came up with a vengance after Western States, I wonder if you somehow knocked out some of your good intenstinal flora and they might not have grown back yet. That race put a huge strain on your body, you got severly dehydrated, and it might have some lasting affect on your system. Have you tried yogurt or something with "probioitics".

I'm thinking the same thing.

I was thinking that too.

I hope it fixes itself soon as I have now gotten into the habit of dreading a run as I have the same issues -good luck in solving it

(although i do agree with the possible Sh!t disturber)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 am

runJrun wrote: My routine is always the same - food, coffee and then guaranteed boom-boom :D

As in "Out go the lights, boom boom"?
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 am

Let me just add, those of us that run in more secluded areas, down by the river, in the provincial park, its way less stressful.

Off the trail, into a tree, back on the trail. I can't imagine how I would deal with a rolling brownout in my neighbourhood or somewhere where I can't hide.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 am

Oh my, this topic made me laugh sitting at my desk =) I don't have much advice on how to stop it, never came to mind that it was abnormal.... there is always a washroom nearby where I run!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 am

I love running where I run this time of the year. Cornfields are plentiful! :wink: :D :lol:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:05 am

upon further reflection and reading this thread - I think trail running is where it is at for people like me - that or move to somewhere there are cornfields

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:40 am

Nick wrote:
runJrun wrote: My routine is always the same - food, coffee and then guaranteed boom-boom :D

As in "Out go the lights, boom boom"?

I've thought of it a couple ways,
boom goes the stomach then boom goes the bottom
and
boom down goes the shorts boom goes the bottom
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:42 am

The major benefits of running on a treadmill. My bathroom is 10feet away :D
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:43 am

OK, for today Rune and Carla are the funniest people in my world!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: "Run in the off-leash park", she says!!! :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Now that I have stopped laughing at my desk, I confess I have been having the same problem for about the past two months. Basically it started near the end of my training for the Ottawa marathon. Some days it is OK, some days it is not so good.

I have talked to my dietitian, my doctor, and have tried some things on my own. Metamucil was a waste of $ for me. Less fibre hasn't really worked. The only thing that seems to be making a difference is Activia yogurt 1x/day. I really think it is helping. Also, I have adjusted my dietary intake a little so as to take in more white grains rather than whole wheat grains (like bagels and bread). They have the same carbs for the most part but less fibre. Fruit fibre (cherries, bananas, watermelon, berries, etc.) doesn't seem to bother me much, so I haven't had to adjust there a whole lot.

The last advice my doctor gave me was I might just have to deal with it through the rest of the season. Back off really long distances in the winter, and it may settle down for next year. :shock: :evil:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 am

waynerdog wrote:The only thing that seems to be making a difference is Activia yogurt 1x/day. I really think it is helping. Also, I have adjusted my dietary intake a little so as to take in more white grains rather than whole wheat grains (like bagels and bread). They have the same carbs for the most part but less fibre.
If the Activia yogurt is helping, I'd try to cut out the white carbs again. I hate to see people making (and doctors and nutritionists suggestiing) poor nutritional options for this reason.. There are other benefits of eating whole grains. Switching to a low-fibre diet can also have a negative affect on intestional issues, making the "cure" worse than the problem itself.

It doesn't necessarily have to be that brand of yogurt, but anything with "active cultures" should help.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:55 am

Ryne, when you're winning a race and a spectator yells "Number 2 is right on your tail!" you don't have to take it so literally. :roll:

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:18 am

ooops - edit for double post!
Last edited by a-slow-5 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:19 am

:shock: Have I mentioned lately how much I love you guys????? :shock: Stand up comedy isn't as funny as RM at the best of times! (laughing with you, of course!)

No advice here either, sorry. Any chance it's a food allergy or a viral intestinal infection that randomly appeared after the stress of Western States? Does it just happen when you run or do you experience it on "off" days too?

Thinking out loud.... anything is possible!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott

Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling

Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:34 am

some good advice has been given on this board. to clarify a little my diet hasn't changed since WS100. It is still a cup of java, 20 ounce coke and 10 pitted dried prunes prior to each run.

I don't know what prompted me to take this person's advice (who will remain nameless due to legal case now pending) but they said that I should "cork it" while running and let 'er rip upon getting back to a restroom with the necessary accessories like &h!t tickets, baby wipes, baby powder etc. What I didn't understand was the "cork it" was a metaphor which I took literally and for breakfast added a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Syrah (2002) and then put the cork from the bottle in my hind end. So about 6 miles into my 11 miler this morning I am in the zoo section of the pathway and I feel the coke and brownies making a comeback. I don't really worry as I have this wine bottle cork for protection and figure I can let out an air biscuit or whatever and this is what the cork is for. Anyways, one of my best farts to date must of occurred cause next thing I know the cork is shot like a rocket out my hind end, through my Patagonia Ultra Shorts (www.patagonia.com) and like a Russian biathlete it hits the baby grizzly bear in the temple and renders her unconscious.

Back to the drawing board......

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am

ultrarune wrote:some good advice has been given on this board. to clarify a little my diet hasn't changed since WS100. It is still a cup of java, 20 ounce coke and 10 pitted dried prunes prior to each run.

I don't know what prompted me to take this person's advice (who will remain nameless due to legal case now pending) but they said that I should "cork it" while running and let 'er rip upon getting back to a restroom with the necessary accessories like &h!t tickets, baby wipes, baby powder etc. What I didn't understand was the "cork it" was a metaphor which I took literally and for breakfast added a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Syrah (2002) and then put the cork from the bottle in my hind end. So about 6 miles into my 11 miler this morning I am in the zoo section of the pathway and I feel the coke and brownies making a comeback. I don't really worry as I have this wine bottle cork for protection and figure I can let out an air biscuit or whatever and this is what the cork is for. Anyways, one of my best farts to date must of occurred cause next thing I know the cork is shot like a rocket out my hind end, through my Patagonia Ultra Shorts (www.patagonia.com) and like a Russian biathlete it hits the baby grizzly bear in the temple and renders her unconscious.

OK, in my humble opinion this now tops Trixiee's rubbing beer on her boobs post as the BEST POST EVER on RM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joanned74
Tom Longboat

Postby joanned74 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38 am

LMAO!!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:42 am

dgrant wrote:Ryne, when you're winning a race and a spectator yells "Number 2 is right on your tail!" you don't have to take it so literally. :roll:
:lol:
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:43 am

waynerdog wrote:
ultrarune wrote:some good advice has been given on this board. to clarify a little my diet hasn't changed since WS100. It is still a cup of java, 20 ounce coke and 10 pitted dried prunes prior to each run.

OK, in my humble opinion this now tops Trixiee's rubbing beer on her boobs post as the BEST POST EVER on RM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I second Waynerdog! LMAO!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am

Great! I get to be topped by sh!t!! :shock: :roll: :P

~ Dr. Suess~

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 pm

trixiee wrote:Great! I get to be topped by sh!t!! :shock: :roll: :P

Don't worry Trix, your beer boobs issue is still in the lead for me.
Ryne's problem is in the rear.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:11 pm

dgrant wrote:

Trying desperately not to snort out loud at work here people... :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

rune163
Bill Crothers

Postby rune163 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:15 pm

dgrant wrote:

Even if it were Dave's boobs I would still vote for it!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:19 pm

ultrarune wrote:
dgrant wrote:

Even if it were Dave's boobs I would still vote for it!

whew! i was feeling "minimalized" there for a moment! :wink:

~ Dr. Suess~

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm

MINI-T wrote:
dgrant wrote:

Trying desperately not to snort out loud at work here people... :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol:

ahh glad I am home alone - too much laughing!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm

trixiee wrote:whew! i was feeling "minimalized" there for a moment! :wink:

better apply more beer then.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”