Vancouver Stanley Park Seawall

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Vancouver Stanley Park Seawall

Postby Ironmike » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Re-Opening Friday November 16th at 11 a.m.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/n ... eopens.htm

November 7, 2007 (No. 21) - The media is invited to the reopening of the Stanley Park Seawall next week. It has been 11 months since a major windstorm devastated the park knocking down over 10,000 trees and closing the popular seaside walk. The official opening will take place on:

Friday, November 16, 2007
11:00 am
Stanley Park Seawall
Enter Near the North Foot of Pipeline Road at Park Drive
(angled parking is available along Park Drive)

This is a temporary opening. Seawall users are urged to use caution and watch for broken asphalt and rough surfaces. Cyclists and rollerbladers are reminded to go in a counter-clockwise direction only when using the Seawall and always yield to pedestrians.

The major cliff scaling and clearing of fallen trees and debris has been completed on the escarpment above the Seawall and it is expected that the final clean up efforts, asphalt patching and temporary curbing will be finished by the end of next week. Further improvements will take place this spring and early summer when the lower daytime tides allow for better work access to the Seawall.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks Mike...
Warning Hijack!
I'm heading up a 3K group run from the Pan Pacific Hotel on Wednesday morning. I'm thinking from the Hotel to the Park Entrance and back is ~ 3K? Can we run along the water, right up past the Westin and turn around at the entrace to the park?

Hoping to get a longer run in by myself Tuesday and Friday morning... and suggestions?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:43 pm

You can't access the seawall at the Pan Pacific right now. They are building the new convention centre there. You have to go about half a kilometer along cordova street, and take a right at the upside down church to get onto the seawall.

To the park entrance and back is about 4km from the hotel.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks Mike... uh, that Church wasn't there a year and a half ago, was it?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:55 pm

trixiee wrote:Thanks Mike... uh, that Church wasn't there a year and a half ago, was it?

It went up about 2 years ago. Its a sculpture called "Device to Root out Evil"
http://www.culturekiosque.com/art/news/ ... _evil.html

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:22 pm

I saw on the news that it is re-opening... my initial reaction was "hey I should go for a run there and celebrate" but then I realized that thousands of others are probably thinking the same thing. :roll:

Maybe I'll get there after christmas... glad it's open though!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:52 pm

YAY for seawall opening - this is the reason why I took up running. Made it up to being able to run 5 k (the seawall is 9) - just when the storm hit! Can't wait to run it for the first time!!! :)

Pan Pacific to Stanley park and back is probably closer to 4k. I do the running groups from the running room at Denman and Georgia, and when we run to the end of the Pan Pacific and back, it's 5K.

You actually can run the entire way - you just have to cut in to the ocean side of the new blue building (telus? Hydro? Shaw? One of those - with the blue lights up the side) - They have built stairs and ramps down to the seawall from there. If you have a chance, stop off on the way back at the Nike Running Lounge for free gatorade and to check it out - they have cool programmes offered there!

Have fun! See you on the Seawall sometime!!!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:05 am

Oh, as a B.C.-born person now living in Toronto I am so envious of you people who can run on the Stanley Park seawall on a regular basis again! Back in the 80s I used to live in the West End and walked it many times - am kicking myself for not taking up running back then.

DH and I will be in B.C. for Christmas but the closest place to Vancouver that we'll be staying is Port Coquitlam - not exactly convenient for a seawall run, sigh...
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Just to be clear, some of us have been running the seawall all along; it's just that we haven't been able to go all the way around to what I like to call "the dark side of the park". I never run over there alone anyway, so it actually hasn't been a huge loss for me. It will be nice that the First Half will get it's route back (too bad the Cunningham race missed it).

Mike- wanna go all the way around on Friday? It will be a bit longer than our usual runs that way, though, but just about 12K or so?

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:09 pm

I'll check it out next time I'm out there.

You have to admit it was fun going aroung the fence and climbing through those trees though...

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:Oh, as a B.C.-born person now living in Toronto I am so envious of you people who can run on the Stanley Park seawall on a regular basis again! Back in the 80s I used to live in the West End and walked it many times - am kicking myself for not taking up running back then.

DH and I will be in B.C. for Christmas but the closest place to Vancouver that we'll be staying is Port Coquitlam - not exactly convenient for a seawall run, sigh...

Hey... I am in Port Coquitlam. We have a trail too, not quite the seawall though. ;)

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:14 pm

lisaannr wrote:Hey... I am in Port Coquitlam. We have a trail too, not quite the seawall though. ;)

Back when I lived in Port Coquitlam, it was near Prairie and Oxford (Grant Avenue). That was (gulp!) over 20 years ago!

Are you talking about the trails along the dike? Those would be nice for running. However, we'll be staying up around Mary Hill. I foresee doing some good hill training if DH and I can manage to get some running in :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:55 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
lisaannr wrote:Hey... I am in Port Coquitlam. We have a trail too, not quite the seawall though. ;)

Back when I lived in Port Coquitlam, it was near Prairie and Oxford (Grant Avenue). That was (gulp!) over 20 years ago!

Are you talking about the trails along the dike? Those would be nice for running. However, we'll be staying up around Mary Hill. I foresee doing some good hill training if DH and I can manage to get some running in :)

Um.. I live up Citadel... there's a nice trail on the otherside of the Mary Hill Bypass (goes right by the pub) along the river.

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 pm

WooHooo. That's great news for all of the Vancouver Maniacs and visitors! Such a great place to run, and I totally credit it with giving me the confidence to do0 my 1st half-marathon. That was my first really long run in years, even if I took frequent and LONG walk breaks, I made it around and jogged back to the hotel and after that I knew that if I could train toi finish a half no problem.

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:42 pm

I didn't realize that storm had such devastating effects to warrant the closing of part of the seawall!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:40 am

postmark wrote:I didn't realize that storm had such devastating effects to warrant the closing of part of the seawall!

The effects on the forests within the park were actually much worse.

This one part of the seawall was very unprotected, and literally collapsed into the water.

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 pm

How was the run??!! I'm house-sitting in Surrey, so no seawall for me until December!!! Must live vicariously, so do tell!!!

RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 pm

randomgirl wrote:How was the run??!! I'm house-sitting in Surrey, so no seawall for me until December!!! Must live vicariously, so do tell!!!

RG

Mike and I didn't make it... his tattoo is still healing (the retouch job). So we had lunch instead and I ran on my own-- but not on the seawall.

Next week... we'll report back, for sure. :)

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:37 am

Oh, that's too bad! Weather wasn't that great today anyhow. Firday was nice though!

Will have to do it sometime before the new year!!!

RG

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Mike and I did the whole seawall today. It was glorious weather, and a great run overall. We even met at that upside down church. :)

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Jwolf wrote:Mike and I did the whole seawall today. It was glorious weather, and a great run overall. We even met at that upside down church. :)

Good to hear it's back! Amazing day for a run, I hope this weather sticks through the weekend.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Jwolf wrote:Mike and I did the whole seawall today. It was glorious weather, and a great run overall.

Wow, that sounds so nice - I am really envious!
Jacqueline
--------------

randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

Postby randomgirl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:23 am

MMM - I am jealous - yesterday was nice!!!

I just wish that we had light either earlier in the am or later in the pm so I could do the seawall before or after work. Hope the sun will stick through to the weekend!

RG

PS Are bikes allowed on the seawall yet? How was the condition of it?

Mary Pickford

Next up:

Return to “General Running Discussion”