A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Too Young To Run? Children Marathoners

Postby drghfx » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:46 am

From today's Globe and Mail. (Nov. 9)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... eMain/home

Too young to run?

With more children and teens taking up the marathon challenge, some doctors warn that running the full 42 kilometres can permanently injure growing bodies

HAYLEY MICK

From Friday's Globe and Mail

November 9, 2007 at 9:06 AM EST

There was something different about the lanky, fresh-faced racer who completed the Cape Breton Fiddlers Run marathon in three hours, 28 minutes and six seconds two weeks ago.

Maybe it was that he embraced his mother at the finish. Maybe it was the Eminem on his iPod.

For Nicholas Burke, completing his second marathon proved he could "pretty much accomplish anything" - especially considering he's only a teenager.

But others say his young age means he shouldn't be running marathons at all.

Enlarge Image
Kids in the Niagara Falls Schools Marathon Challenge run most of the 42.2 km over six weeks before race day. (Tibor Kolly/The Globe and Mail)

Mr. Burke, 17, is among a small but growing number of Canadian youth - some as young as 9 - that race officials report are completing marathons and 21-kilometre half marathons at major races.

Their participation highlights one of the most controversial questions in the running world: How young is too young to run 42.2 kilometres?

Marathons can permanently injure growing bodies, say some sports doctors, who warn that the road race may be the newest sports arena where children's bodies are being pushed too hard.

"As more and more children are running longer and longer and harder and harder, we're seeing ever-increasing numbers of injuries from overuse," said Stephen Rice, a pediatric sports doctor from New Jersey who has researched the sport's health

impacts.

Concerned by the number of young entrants, race officials are now adding parental consent forms to their registration policies to protect themselves from liability. Some running enthusiasts also warn that young athletes are being pushed to dangerous extremes by zealous adults, and are

advocating a ban on racers younger than 18.

The controversy comes at a time when children's running programs are being promoted more than ever before. Fuelled by anxiety over childhood obesity and sedentary lifestyles, kids' races have been added to marathon events in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and dozens of U.S. cities in the past five years, attracting thousands of children and school groups

annually.

About 400 children crossed the finish line at the Niagara Falls International Marathon on Oct. 28. The kids' marathon program, which mirrors others across the country, requires elementary school children to run 40 kilometres, broken into smaller distances, over a six-week period. Then, on race day, they run the final 2.2 kilometres and cross the same finish line as world-class athletes.

"It feels really good," said

10-year-old Alexander Foster McCullough, a Grade 5 student who completed the program for the third year.

Programs such as the Niagara Falls Schools Marathon Challenge are almost universally praised because they encourage children to become active and will, it is hoped, instill a lifelong love of running.

"They get the real marathon experience with all the timing chips," said teacher Christina Jackson, who coached Alexander and 16 other students from St. Ann elementary school in Fenwick, Ont. "They get really jazzed up about it."

But when a youngster is inspired to run 42.2 kilometres all at once, many draw a different line. Running enthusiasts spar over the question in online forums, magazines and medical journals, as more children want to run longer distances and adults wonder whether they should.

The issue hit the international stage last year when India's so-called marathon boy tried to run about 70 kilometres before doctors stopped him near the 65-km mark. His coach was charged with torture in August after his mother reported signs of abuse. China had its own 8-year-old marathon girl, who reportedly ran 3,500 kilometres this summer at the urging of her father, sparking protests from children's rights activists.

Much of the controversy comes from the confusion over whether running a marathon helps or harms growing bodies.

In its 2007 guide for clinicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics said there was no compelling evidence suggesting that children should be banned from marathons, as long as they train properly and aren't being forced to take part.

But other medical bodies - including the one advising the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) - recommend that runners under 18 should be banned. Their arguments are based on anecdotal evidence and studies looking at youth competing in other endurance sports, such as triathlons.

Dr. Rice authored a position statement that was published in the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine in 2003 on behalf of AIMS.

He cited a long list of health risks, including stress fractures, reduction in bone mass, decreased flexibility, adult-onset arthritis and other degenerative conditions. Children are also more likely than adults to overheat during exercise, he wrote, because they heat up faster and are less able to get rid of heat through sweat.

"Running is wonderful," Dr. Rice says. "But 26 miles? Is it really necessary to run that far?"

Yes, Mr. Burke says.

He was inspired to run the marathon at 10, when he flipped the television channel and saw runners pouring over the finish line at the Boston Marathon. By 12, he was running two kilometres a night after dinner. At 15, he completed his first five-kilometre competitive race.

"I got the bug from there," Mr. Burke said.

Six months after that race, he finished the Blue Nose International Marathon in Halifax in a respectable three hours and 50 minutes. He was the third male under 19 across the finish line.

Mr. Burke couldn't find a running coach in Victoria Mines, N.S., the village of 1,000 people where he lives with his parents and 10-year-old brother. So he followed a six-month marathon training program he found online. He checked regularly with Internet forums, seeking advice and encouragement from other runners. He also got a green light from his doctor.

"He's always been so active and so healthy that I don't see it as a problem," said his mother, Sandra Burke, whose concerns were alleviated by the medical checkup.

Race organizers can't ensure anyone has trained properly. But while many say they don't want teenagers competing in their races, they put the onus on parents to stop them.

"If a parent comes along and really wants their 17-year-old to run the marathon, we're not going to tell them that they can't," said Laurie Davison, spokeswoman for the Ottawa Marathon. "But they have to sign the waiver."

Parental consent is also required by the Toronto Marathon and Vancouver Marathon, which gets about 50 runners under age 19 in the full and

half marathon races each

year. Smaller races, such as the

Calgary Marathon and Cape Breton Fiddlers Run, don't have official policies for young

entrants.

Mr. Burke knows that many people don't support his passion. He's debated with those who have the "gall" to challenge what he's doing.

His goal is to qualify for the race that first inspired him: the Boston Marathon. When he attempts to make the three-hour, 10-minute qualifying time in Halifax in May, he'll be able to meet Boston's 18-year old age requirement.

"I feel like nobody can stop me," he said. "I get this feeling that comes over me [when I run]. That it's my own time and everything, just for me."
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:01 am

The real question is, why isn't this kid on RM? ;-)
BG

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 am

Don't all the reputable races already ban runners under 16(half) or 18(full)? As I always say the Marathon is becoming one big ego trip. Mix a desire to prove something (to yourself & others) and a willingness to ignore all the possible consequences and you have a perfect magnet to attract the foolhardy. If most large races didn't take this seriously already, I'm sure that it could be a problem.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 am

Portentous wrote:Don't all the reputable races already ban runners under 16(half) or 18(full)?
No, definitely not all.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:29 am

Not too many of those kids persist with running in later years. There were a few kids in the '70's who ran marathons close to three hours at about 10 years of age. None of them seem to have suffered any damage. They just didn't persevere or improve. The assumption is always that they could be so good at the event if they waited, but no evidence supports this. Sometimes the body is best suited for the event at a young age.
Judging by the huge amount of injured runners on here who didn't do any running during their early years and are now suffering injuries that are close to stopping them from running, it is clear there is no "right" age.
It should be pointed out that the present WR holder ran a marathon in his bare feet when he was 12 and he seems to be doing OK twenty plus years later.
Paula was also a world junior cross country champion in '92 and she would have had little trouble with a marathon back then. She has been doing what would easily classify as marathon training for half her life.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am

Portentous wrote:Don't all the reputable races already ban runners under 16(half) or 18(full)?

And some people will bend the rules...
BG

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:38 am

I agree with Pat. :shock: How did that happen? :wink:

I'm wondering how *they* determine how much is too much?

What about young gymnasts or swimmers? They go through some heavy training at a very young age as well... is that not abuse too?

Is this "coddling" of our children lending to the high child obesity rates? If a kid wants to run, why in the world would we prevent them from doing so?

However, I do think that 70K is likely too much for most runners...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Just because 14 year olds do gymnastics, doesn't mean its right and should automatically mean that a 14 year old can do any sport. (The small town high school I attended in the 80's cancelled the football program in the 1970's due to the number of adults in the community that suffered chronic injuries due to high school football.)

To a previous point, the marathon can be an ego trip for some. Regardless of a persons age, I have always felt that every marathon should implement a rule saying you can not run a marathon until you have completed at least a 1/2 marathon. Many adults under estimate the physical toll on your body, but if they they are injured during the race, they usually recover over time and don't develop a life long injury. Most 16 or 17 yr olds are still developing, so a muscle or knee injury may become a chronic injury.

To the person that says we are coddling our youth. No one says you can not run 5 or 10 km races. If you want to be good, your weekly milage can be quite high in training.

If I had a child, I would like to see them active in sports, but not get injured as a teen and then have to give up sports as an adult due to a chronic injury. Just my 2 cents...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:29 pm

What a horribly written article.

They're mashing together at least three concepts:

- shouldn't we be happy children are exercising?
- some races have marathon challenges (run 26.2 over a number of runs)
- some children run full and half marathons

I think its great that children are exercising and I think the marathon challenges are great. For the kids I know that do the one in Calgary its really the highlight of their year.

On the third point, I politely defer. I'm sure each of us can come up with examples of kids that ran marathons and weren't harmed (there's a couple in this thread already) but I'm sure there's lots of examples the other way as well. Frankly that's not much different that adult marathoning. I'd want to see some scientific studies rather than just stories.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

narr
Tom Longboat

Postby narr » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 pm

BaldGuy wrote:The real question is, why isn't this kid on RM? ;-)

He's n_burke on the RR forum.

You could invite him. :wink:

Greg.
narr = not a real runner

Running is a privilege.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm

narr wrote:
BaldGuy wrote:The real question is, why isn't this kid on RM? ;-)

He's n_burke on the RR forum.

You could invite him. :wink:

Greg.

I would never poach members from that forum. Only because I never posted there (although I am a member).

I'm always surprised that new people find us, but I'm glad they do. :)
BG

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:10 pm

trixiee wrote:I agree with Pat. :shock: How did that happen? :wink:

I'm wondering how *they* determine how much is too much?

What about young gymnasts or swimmers? They go through some heavy training at a very young age as well... is that not abuse too?

This was my first thought too when I read the article. Both my boys take recreational gymnastics at a local gym that produces quite a few nationally/internationally ranked competitive gymnasts. Some of them go on to get scholarships to colleges in the US and several are contenders for the Olympic team. Most girls are done competing at the age of about 22 (the guys last a bit longer). The competitve program at this gym starts at age 4 for those who are found in the recreational program to be talented. In speaking to one mother a few weeks back whose daughter was in the competitive program, she told me that she trains 25 hours a week - at age 12. Another mother I spoke to whose daughter was also in the program had in addition, 2 teenage children who participated in competitive swimming. At 16 her daughter was in the pool 2x a day for several hours both before and after school.

My point is not that I necessarily agree with this, but that it seems relatively accepted. I know that alot of pre-teen/teenage boys spend a multitude of hours on the ice playing hockey. Competitive figure skaters also spend alot of hours training and competing at a young age. No one seems to think this is not ok because of the chances for Olympic berths or professional careers.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Interesting comments vis-a-vis other sports. And as someone mentioned privately some parents might lie on the entrance form and claim their child is old enough to race. My opinion is that as long as the races discourage young runners, they've been responsible. Unfortunately, it's hard to protect kids from stupid parents. Since running isn't a high glamour sport, I can't imagine too many parents pushing kids to run a full marathon. Looking at other parents of gymnasts and tennis players who have a career mapped out for them before reaching the age of 10!

Martina Hingis mother named her after Martina Navratilova (who ironically retired the same year as Hingis!!!). Andre Agassi had a Tennis ball hanging off of a mobile in his crib. And then his _________ (inventive/abusive?) father TAPED a ping pong racket to his hand so he could practice hitting the ball. And lets not even think about the goonery of Hockey dads...

Realistically parents are a much bigger threat to their kids than a marathon, but hopefully no kid will have to deal with that BS one day.

For an interesting inspirational/scary look at a young runner visit http://jeffreyrunning.com/index.htm , he's been running sub 20min 5k's since he was 10 (he's 12 now). I found his site looking for a florida race calendar.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:21 pm

My point is not that I necessarily agree with this, but that it seems relatively accepted. I know that alot of pre-teen/teenage boys spend a multitude of hours on the ice playing hockey. Competitive figure skaters also spend alot of hours training and competing at a young age. No one seems to think this is not ok because of the chances for Olympic berths or professional careers.

Actually a great many people do think it's wrong. I can't speak about marathoning, but from my days in hockey - not as a player - so many parents push their kids to achive their dream (the parents' dream). I have seen many kids simply walk away from hcoeky, for example, because they had enough and were burned out by 14.
We see the John Taveras (16 yr old hockey phenom to be) but what about the many casualties along the way? What damage has been done physically and emotionally to all those young kids who don't make it?
I don't have the answer, somewhere there must be a balance.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Portentous wrote:
For an interesting inspirational/scary look at a young runner visit http://jeffreyrunning.com/index.htm , he's been running sub 20min 5k's since he was 10 (he's 12 now). I found his site looking for a florida race calendar.

Ugh... That was just days after he ran his first HalfM!
Jeffrey Tait, 10, of Miami, won the 10-12 age group and finished 26th overall in 20:19 just six days after finishing his first half marathon at the Toyota Prius Miami Tropical Half Marathon. The fourth-grader was scored with the 14 year olds last weekend since there were no younger age groups.

So... is this kid abused, or does he just love to run?

~ Dr. Suess~

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:27 pm

trixiee wrote:Ugh... That was just days after he ran his first HalfM!
Jeffrey Tait, 10, of Miami, won the 10-12 age group and finished 26th overall in 20:19 just six days after finishing his first half marathon at the Toyota Prius Miami Tropical Half Marathon. The fourth-grader was scored with the 14 year olds last weekend since there were no younger age groups.

of course there's no way to know from the article whether he does it because he wants to, or because he is pressured to.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 pm

klewlis wrote:
trixiee wrote:Ugh... That was just days after he ran his first HalfM!

of course there's no way to know from the article whether he does it because he wants to, or because he is pressured to.

There's no way to tell from the website either. Though my *feeling* is that he is the child of over-zealous parents. I really would like to know though!

~ Dr. Suess~

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:46 pm

DougG wrote:

Actually a great many people do think it's wrong. I can't speak about marathoning, but from my days in hockey - not as a player - so many parents push their kids to achive their dream (the parents' dream). I have seen many kids simply walk away from hcoeky, for example, because they had enough and were burned out by 14.
We see the John Taveras (16 yr old hockey phenom to be) but what about the many casualties along the way? What damage has been done physically and emotionally to all those young kids who don't make it?
I don't have the answer, somewhere there must be a balance.

Agree Doug. A lot of people think its not ok.

Parents get mesmerized by the idea of their kid being a star, and for every kid like Hingis or Agassi or Woods that turns into a star, 100,000 don't. Which is okay, not everyone can be a star, but if the faint shot at being a star comes at a huge health or development cost then that's not okay.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm

I think it's important that we adults don't project our own awe of the marathon into this debate. For a certain pecentage of the population, running a marathon is no big whoop. People do just show up and 100% wing it in marathons all the time.

Are the teenagers who are running marathons "self selecting" in a way? Are the ones running marathons doing so simply because they can and it's naturally easy for them... and they're maybe less inclined to be injured because they're just predisposed to long distance running?

I'm purely guessing, but I'd think that the teenagers running marathons aren't doing so to fundraise or

"get in shape", or
"fulfill a lifelong dream", or
"set an example for my kids"

or any of the other reasons that we Average Joe adults decide to tackle the marathon. We adults have these motivations that have nothing to do with our athletic suitability for the sport. X% of us just aren't natural long distance runners, so Y% of us are prone to injury.

When you look at adult marathoners you see many who are carrying 30+ extra pounds, or have cringe-inducing form. But they're out there battling through because they have some motivation to do so. Just from my own anecdotal observation at a ton of 15K+ races, most of the teens I see lined up are lean and have very good form. They're there because they're athletically inclined, and are probably less likely to court injury in the first place...

Maybe the average 15 year old shouldn't run a marathon, but I don't think the 15 year olds showing up at marathons are the average ones.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:20 pm

dgrant wrote:I think it's important that we adults don't project our own awe of the marathon into this debate.

It's also not like we're talking about a huge phenomenon in children, either.

The article talks about a few isolated cases of child marathon runners, but also seems to hype it up a bit more than it needs to be. Accompanying the article is a picture of children running the "marathon"-- these children were actually doing the Kids' "race" where they accumulate marathon distance for 6 weeks before the marathon.

There is some medical evidence that doing long distance running is not good for children whose bone plates haven't fully developed. But there's also evidence that extreme exposure to contact sports, gymnastics, etc. can cause problems in chidren's developing bodies. It pays to be cautious, but we also shouldn't overreact.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:51 pm

There is risk in every aspect of life. Not too many people start off life with their main goal to be a perfectly functioning older person with zero damage to their body. For every beat up old sports star there are two or three crippled lifetime couch potatoes.
Every other animal on earth has to almost hit the ground running, grow up quickly, and hang on as long as possible. We can learn something from that.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:There is risk in every aspect of life. Not too many people start off life with their main goal to be a perfectly functioning older person with zero damage to their body. For every beat up old sports star there are two or three crippled lifetime couch potatoes.

The difference here is that we're talking about children who aren't meant to be making these life decisions for themselves. If there is risk to children, adults are expected to protect them. Adults can make their own risk analysis and decisions.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:22 pm

dgrant wrote:
Are the teenagers who are running marathons "self selecting" in a way? Are the ones running marathons doing so simply because they can and it's naturally easy for them... and they're maybe less inclined to be injured because they're just predisposed to long distance running?

Maybe the average 15 year old shouldn't run a marathon, but I don't think the 15 year olds showing up at marathons are the average ones.

Great points - I very much agree.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm not talking of the kids who are being forced. If a kid between say 14 and 18 wants to run a marathon and has done the work, I don't see a problem. I am more concerned about the people doing them on those abbreviated programs and still terribly overweight. Far more potential for damage there.
If a stop was put to that, there would be an even greater outcry.

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:47 pm

[Port, I may not be a perfect parent, but I am not a stupid one.}

My son Arrow started running 5Ks at school when he was 11 years old.
We found that his talent in running was in longer distances like the 5K.

Arrow wanted to train more and try to get faster. I couldn't let him go out and run 5Ks by himself so I rode my bike beside him. I couldn't run 100 meters at the time. Soon Arrow was easily running 10Ks. I read as much as I could on running. I found RM while reading on RR. I never pressured Arrow to ever run. I actually started running beside him. My thought was that if he was going to do it I should know what he is going through.

Arrow trained carefully and with a sports Doctor's care. He slowly added kilometers to his/our LSDs. There were a few times that Arrow did not feel like running, I never pressured him. Arrow ran many 21Ks and a few 30Ks before running his marathons.

Yes, I lied - I wrote that Arrow was 18 on the race forms. My thoughts on this are that it is just for thier own protection. Kids get killed in school football, I knew that Arrow was physically/menatlly fit for this.
I ran every step of the way with him. We did not really race it. We came in together just under 5 hours.

It has been a year since those two marathons. We took a long break from running and Arrow is still on that break. I got back into it 3 months ago. I ask him each time before I leave for a run if he is coming ( I know the answer).

Kids go through stages or fads. Maybe running was just a phase for him. Maybe Arrow will 'catch' the run-bug again, his choice, I just want to be ready if he decides to get running.
M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Return to “General Running Discussion”