The beauty of truly elite running

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

The beauty of truly elite running

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Throughout July here in Kingston, they have all-comers track nights at the Queens track. I decided to watch the 5000 metre event tonight, as I'm too big of a chicken to step onto the track. Usually, the finish times for this race range from mid-16's on past 20 minutes.
Tonight, 2 very elite runners decided to come out, and it was a thing of beauty to watch them circle the track. Steve Boyd and Rejean Chiasson made the spectators and other racers dizzy as they circled the track at a ridiculous speed. Chiasson, the younger of the 2, finished in a track record 14:58, while Boyd, who is in his mid forties may I add, finished in 15:03.
Its amazing to watch the truly gifted run. They seem to just glide along at a speed that would be a sprint for us mortals. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch Haile Gebresalassie (sp) in real life.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:11 pm

As an official, I often get to see some great performances. I'm off to Regina for the Canadian Masters Track and Field Championships. These are for athletes who are 35 and over. They run hurdles, steeplechase, racewalk, as well as field events like Weight throw,Javelin,High/Trip;le?long jump, Pole valut. You get the idea. All events. The meet is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There is a women from BC who is 89 years young.I've noticed a couple men who are 80. It should be a fun weekend.
The all comers are just that, and you should try one. Our last one for the summer is tomorrow night.
Good Luck.
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks for the report! Have you ever come up to watch the elites at the NCM weekend 10km? Simply amazing.

Rejean was actually a subject in my husband's thesis study last year. I've been blown past by him in a couple of local races (for example, when he's running the 10km and I'm in the 5)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:38 am

I don't know Rejean but I know Steve and yep ...it's a beauty to watch him. One day a couple years ago I was driving home from work as he was running along Front Rd. I pulled off the road...got out of my car so I could watch him as he sailed by. Poetry in Motion :D

Hmm...must get out to watch some of these track events...are they always on Tuesday?
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:56 am

They are, but they are officially done for the summer. Perhaps next year...
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:03 am

That would be very cool to watch. I love watching the elite in any field to do what they do best.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 am

Steve holds the Canadian Master's record for the half-marathon, 1:05:xx I believe, which he set at the age of 42. You could always approach him about coaching you as he trains a bunch of runners. The group workouts are usually Tuesdays & Fridays, after work.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:50 am

That's amazing speed, I can't understand how someone can run that fast....

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:35 pm

jgore wrote:Steve holds the Canadian Master's record for the half-marathon, 1:05:xx I believe, which he set at the age of 42. You could always approach him about coaching you as he trains a bunch of runners. The group workouts are usually Tuesdays & Fridays, after work.

I think you're right.
I believe one of the racers he coaches now holds the Master's record for 5km(women's). Paula too is Poetry in Motion :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:38 am

Seeing how fast 15 mins looks for 5km, it's mind boggling to imagine that they would be lapped more than twice by the world record holder!?!

Yes, between Steve, Paula and Marilyn (Arsenault), they are some pretty amazing masters runners.

Steve has competed at a high level since he was in high school, and is now beating most of the top masters in North America. It's interesting to see that he has slowed down at a much slower rate than what most runners do after they turn 40; especially in the distances that he races at. Almost makes you wonder whether he is overacheiving as a master or if he could have even been better as an open runner?

With Paula and Marilyn, they come to it from a different angle. They both didn't start serious training until their early to mid 30's, and are now both setting pb's (not just masters pb's, but all time pb's) into their 40's.

Kind of neat that the three top masters runners in Canada all have a Kingston connection. Steve and Paula live here (though Paula might be back in Brockville now), and Marilyn grew up here.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I love watching middle distance track running (800 metres to 10,000 metres).

At the KSLO Canada Day 5K, I had an opportunity to see this kind of speed first hand, but only briefly. In most 5 K races the elite runners have finished long before I struggle in, but this race was a straight out and back course. As I was busting a gut on my way to a PB for me, I was getting near the turn around and looked up to see the elite runners coming towards me. Wow. They blew by me like creatures from another planet! They seemed to float over the ground with huge long strides. They didn't even seem to be breathing hard.

Andrew Smith won in a time of 14:42. Chris Bedley finished second in 14:57 and Tara Quinn-Smith won the women's race in 16:31.

I'll never be able to run like that but I can certainly appreciate the beauty, skill and effort of that kind of running.

Return to “General Running Discussion”