Edmonton: First annual Run Until You Drop

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Edmonton: First annual Run Until You Drop

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 pm

so, I was out for my run tonight and was thinking up ways to break the mental barrier that I seem to have had for a year. I thought about the so-called self-transendence runs, and wondered if something like that would do the trick. I then thought about the 2.5k loop that is near where I live. It's perfect: exactly 2.5k, with no traffic lights or stops. A person could run around it all day and never have to stop for traffic, and because of the loops you could put supplies in one spot and be good to go for hours!

I think I will plan a day to just run around and around until I either break the mental barrier, or can't run anymore.

Then I thought of Size5 and dwayne's famous quote: Friends don't let friends do stupid things. Alone.

So I was wondering if anyone would like to join me. ;)

Here's the plan:

We start at 7am and hope for a nice cool day. I'll park my car beside the road and it will serve as the aid station--I'll just leave it unlocked and whatever we need can go in there. My house will also be close enough to use the bathroom, etc. If you don't want to start at 7, no worries--start whenever you want. We'll all be looping each other anyway. Want to take a 10 minute break between laps? no problem! Do whatever you like. Run 2 loops or 20, fast or slow, doesn't matter.

Then when we're all done we retire to my place and order in some pizza (or go out, grub and all).

I'm looking at August 31 since I know a bunch of you are racing the next couple of weekends.

And if I'm out there all by myself.... that's ok too. All the better for my mental focus. :)

Let me know if anyone is interested!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:09 am

Ooh, I love running laps senselessly, having done in the last year:
(1) 211 laps around the 200m running track at a nearby hockey rink
(2) 20 laps (through a foot of snow) around the 2.1K trail encircling a nearby lake
(3) 106 laps around the high-school track

Unfortunately, August 31 is exactly one week before this year's goal race (QCM) and I don't know if I have enough discipline to stick to a taper with the temptation of senseless lap-running. Keep us posted...

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 am

I'll be in BC :) Have fun!

My only suggestion would be reverse the order of laps, unless it is not all one-way turns. I had issues due to that with my crazy 20K on the track this past winter...of course, it was a much smaller loop!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:54 am

FishPants wrote:I'll be in BC :) Have fun!

My only suggestion would be reverse the order of laps, unless it is not all one-way turns. I had issues due to that with my crazy 20K on the track this past winter...of course, it was a much smaller loop!

2.5k is big enough that this won't be an issue.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 am

good luck :D
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:58 am

If only I didn't have a 32k to group lead that morning/afternoon!! :evil: :roll: :lol:

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 am

I'll be at home sleeping and recovering.

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:00 am

sounds like something that Melcher geezer would do :wink:
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 am

waynerdog wrote:If only I didn't have a 32k to group lead that morning/afternoon!! :evil: :roll: :lol:

bring them! ;)

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:39 am

I really want to try a 30k run. Really badly. Maybe even just over 30 (32.5?). haha. I'm going to say yes for joining you but I'm not sure if we'll be back from our camping vacation by then.

7 am start works really well for me though.
Just call me the thread killa

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am

Banane wrote:I really want to try a 30k run. Really badly. Maybe even just over 30 (32.5?). haha. I'm going to say yes for joining you but I'm not sure if we'll be back from our camping vacation by then.

good, I'll put you down as a maybe! Let me know how your camping plans turn out.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 am

klewlis wrote:
Banane wrote:I really want to try a 30k run. Really badly. Maybe even just over 30 (32.5?). haha. I'm going to say yes for joining you but I'm not sure if we'll be back from our camping vacation by then.

good, I'll put you down as a maybe! Let me know how your camping plans turn out.

Can I recruit non-RMers too?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:45 am

Banane wrote:
klewlis wrote:

of course! as long as they aren't stalkers since they will then know where I live, lol!

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:48 am

klewlis wrote:
Banane wrote:
klewlis wrote:

of course! as long as they aren't stalkers since they will then know where I live, lol!

No stalkers allowed :)

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:54 am

klewlis wrote:
Banane wrote:
klewlis wrote:

But the RM stalkers are OK?
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am

bruyère wrote:
klewlis wrote:
Banane wrote:
klewlis wrote:

But the RM stalkers are OK?

yep because I can stalk them back if necessary.

amesy
Bruce Kidd

Postby amesy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:50 pm

COOL BEANS!

When did you want to do this? I thought I saw an Aug 31. Since I live in the neighbourhood, I really don't have an excuse, do I? :wink:
I haven't ran in ages, but I'm game ( depending on when it is)

Which 2.5k are you talking about? I must have ran a million times before, but I don't where you're talking about.
Breath... it's what you do best.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm

amesy wrote:COOL BEANS!

When did you want to do this? I thought I saw an Aug 31. Since I live in the neighbourhood, I really don't have an excuse, do I? :wink:
I haven't ran in ages, but I'm game ( depending on when it is)

Which 2.5k are you talking about? I must have ran a million times before, but I don't where you're talking about.

Yeah I think Aug 31 will work.

It's the 23rd ave/105 st/28ave/109 st loop.

markB
Bruce Kidd

Postby markB » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:01 pm

If I'm not in Banff that weekend, and if I'm not totally dead from my race the week before, I'm in.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 pm

If I were there, I'd join you. Not till I drop ;) but I'd do my 30K or so that I have to do for marathon training.

I actually do long runs like this often-- there's a 2.7K trail loop near my house, and I do laps around it. I don't think I've done longer than about 18K there, though.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ShinSplints
Bill Crothers

Postby ShinSplints » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Sounds like fun and great idea!

I might try the Ottawa 24 Hours Self Transcendence run on September 13th. It goes around a track. I just need a designated driver to get me home afterwards. :-)
Don't Limit Your Challenges.....Challenge Your Limits
Next races:
Just running around the neighborhood playground...

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 am

I love this idea!! I always am in need of someone to get me going (been slack this summer). But carp, I am away that weekend and the next. If the date changes let me know...or if it goes well and you feel like doing it again - I am so in !
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:09 am

I would do it if I was closer. I have been thinking of doing something similar out here but a long 75K course which would start at 6am and end whenever I crawled back home. This would include a lot of walking of course. (the course is on my WWW link)

amesy
Bruce Kidd

Postby amesy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Rats. I can't make it. I'll be on the way home from B.C. on the 31st.
Breath... it's what you do best.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:01 am

If only we decided to go to calgary this summer... (maybe next summer...)

Return to “General Running Discussion”