Danny Kassap Fund

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:24 pm

The Joggler wrote:I take that back -- I don't know if Danny had insurance or not, only that a portion of his bill was paid off by other parties, including OHIP.

My understanding was that he didn't have extended health insurance--- OHIP and other provincial plans covers you when you are out of Canada, but you need extended medical (travel insurance/Out of Provice medical) to cover the rest.

I don't doubt he's a great guy, but... it still bothers me. I also don't doubt he'll raise the money he needs.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:
The Joggler wrote:I take that back -- I don't know if Danny had insurance or not, only that a portion of his bill was paid off by other parties, including OHIP.

My understanding was that he didn't have extended health insurance--- OHIP and other provincial plans covers you when you are out of Canada, but you need extended medical (travel insurance/Out of Provice medical) to cover the rest.

I don't doubt he's a great guy, but... it still bothers me. I also don't doubt he'll raise the money he needs.

I don't see this appeal for money to help out any differently than some of the appeals that have gone on here to help people with their pets, the unexpected money that was sent to me to send to Spencer, or the help that others have received through the generosity of many people on this site.

Give if you want...don't if you don't feel called to do so.

Maybe I'm simplifying things but that's how I see it.

I will add that I would be a bit surprised and yes alarmed if his coach or track club did not give him advice re getting additional insurance.

At the end of the day I hope Danny's medical bills get dealt with, that his health is restored and that he gets back to racing at the level he wants to race at.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Well said, Jo-Jo ....

Imagine how Danny Kassap is feeling right now ... Just a few months ago, he was celebrating to be finally a Canadian Citizen, in the prime of his life at becoming a world class / elite marathoner ... and, in a matter of seconds, almost losing his life and now, in financial debt and not certain if and when he will ever run agin, at least at that level that he was reaching for ....

"It's a tragic situation for a guy so young," Ristuccia said. "It's not like he was on the tail end of his running career, he was just about to be really good."

The doctors determined that he suffered a ventricular fibrillation - a contraction of the cardiac muscle - brought on by inflammation of the heart, which was caused by a cold virus.

Kassap won't be able to run for at least the next three months, and his future as a competitive runner remains unclear.

And, trust me, if he is, indeed an Assistant Manager at the Toronto Running Room ... he is not making much ... :? :? :?

Imagine if he was a Sponsored athlete like Haile Gebrselassie, who is probably making $millions$ in sponsorships, etc., this would be a moot point ... as he would be financially well off, regardless ...

There was nothing indicating that he had health issues/concerns, going into Berlin Marathon ... and, yet, the main focus on this topic on this forum and many others is ... that he should have known better than to get extended health care/coverage .... :? :roll:

Hind sight is 50:50 and now others will be wondering if and what they are covered by the next time they travel to a foreign country for a race/event ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:49 pm

[Oops, issues with double posting]
Last edited by Plods on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

TheBman wrote:This is not the place for THIS debate....but I would like to believe that his sponsors and his employer (given the business that he is in) would be helping out with this somewhat.

I guess hindsight is 20, and you can't put the horse back in the barn, etc but I would like to think that his sponsors, employer, agent, coach or somebody would have looked after him and made sure that he was adequately insured.

I read the comments above re travel insurance not responding to race situations. My own policy says the following:

"No benefit will be payable in connection with treatment, services or expenses related to or resulting from participation in professional sports or any organized racing or speed contests."

Three comments. First off, putting my lawyers' cap on (it's real, don't worry), from what I have read the doctors seem to think that the chain of events which resulted in the heart attack started with a virus -- and I think a very good argument could be made that a virus-caused heart attack was not "related to or resulting from" the race. If he had travel medical I hope somebody is going back to the insurer pretty hard.

Second, this guy has such a bright future, it is crazy he was not insured. Even if regular travel medical is not available, there are insurance products for athletes -- 30 seconds of googling turned up a bunch, like this one: http://www.armstrongmccready.ca/CAIPFrameset.htm.

Third, none of this changes that Kassap needs help -- from what I have seen around the net, the running community is responding very generously, as it should.

rundmc
Bruce Kidd

Postby rundmc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't doubt he's a great guy, but... it still bothers me. I also don't doubt he'll raise the money he needs.
Exactly what part of poor people's medical bills being paid off bothers you?
"He could eat a candy bar and run 63 seconds."

- commentator on Hicham El Guerrouj

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:29 am

I guess it just bothers me that he has to resort to this to pay his bills. You know I don't have issues with paying for a public health insurance to protect those that need it.

It's true that the mistake he made is in the past and it's truly saddening that he might not be able to run again.

I'm glad he'll get the help he needs and I'm rethinking my reluctance to donate.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 am

Jwolf wrote:I guess it just bothers me that he has to resort to this to pay his bills. You know I don't have issues with paying for a public health insurance to protect those that need it.

It's true that the mistake he made is in the past and it's truly saddening that he might not be able to run again.

I'm glad he'll get the help he needs and I'm rethinking my reluctance to donate.

I'm not sure that it was he who initiated this campaign .... From what I've read, it's his friends and training partners, in Toronto, doing it on his behalf ... As when they raised funds for his legal expenses in his bid to stay in Canada and become a Canadian Citizen .... And, all his Family are still somewhere in Congo, if I recall from reading the article, that he has not spoken to since he made the diplomatic request to stay in Canada, all these years ....

The Guy almost died, for Heaven's Sake ... the last thing on his mind when he was in a coma for a week or so was ... "If I survive this, how will I pay my medical bills ??? "

On a different note ... Does anyone know if he had any Sponsors and Sponsorship deals, out of curiousity ?? :roll: :roll:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

RyanConroy
Percy Williams

Possibly Nike?

Postby RyanConroy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:07 am

HCiD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I guess it just bothers me that he has to resort to this to pay his bills. You know I don't have issues with paying for a public health insurance to protect those that need it.

I'm not sure that it was he who initiated this campaign .... From what I've read, it's his friends and training partners, in Toronto, doing it on his behalf ... As when they raised funds for his legal expenses in his bid to stay in Canada and become a Canadian Citizen .... And, all his Family are still somewhere in Congo, if I recall from reading the article, that he has not spoken to since he made the diplomatic request to stay in Canada, all these years ....

The Guy almost died, for Heaven's Sake ... the last thing on his mind when he was in a coma for a week or so was ... "If I survive this, how will I pay my medical bills ??? "

On a different note ... Does anyone know if he had any Sponsors and Sponsorship deals, out of curiousity ?? :roll: :roll:

I am just guessing, but I think he may have had something with Nike.

I met him when he came to Vancouver for the Nike Human Race, and it seemed him and Simon Bairu were brought in by Nike. He made a point of congratulating me and shaking my hand after I finished and seemed like a great guy as everyone says.

Anyway not sure he has a sponsorship with them but some friends of mine were in the National 10k's and in their pictures Bairu is all decked out in Nike, and there was no prize I know of for the Nike race here so not sure why else he would come all the way to Vancouver for it.
Join Club Fat Ass for some great fun on the trails.

Don't see an event in your area? Contact me or the club through the website and find out how we can help you get one started.

http://www.clubfatass.com

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:35 am

I guess hindsight is 20, and you can't put the horse back in the barn, etc but I would like to think that his sponsors, employer, agent, coach or somebody would have looked after him and made sure that he was adequately insured.

Somebody on his team really dropped the ball here.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

~waves~
Johnny Miles

Postby ~waves~ » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:49 am

Jwolf wrote:I guess it just bothers me that he has to resort to this to pay his bills.

:shock: Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but, wow, that seems really cold.

Joggler, thanks for posting the story and link. I can't afford much, but happy to help out a fellow runner who is obviously struggling so much.

ETA - Fundraising goal achieved, rant removed, happy to step off soap box now. :wink:
Last edited by ~waves~ on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next up:
Fix my knees

Races:
2008 Royal Victoria Half - 1:39:47 (my first race!!!)

Reports:
Royal Victoria (1/2) Marathon - This is my story (my first race report!)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 am

I don't think *he* should have known better, but a coach/manager should have... that's their job.

I'm really glad to see the running community supporting him, and I hope he makes a full recovery.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

~waves~
Johnny Miles

Postby ~waves~ » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 am

klewlis wrote:I don't think *he* should have known better, but a coach/manager should have... that's their job.

Perhaps. But maybe it was discussed. And decided he couldn't afford it. He was young, an elite athlete and the risk considered low.

Personally I thought the running community response would be more directed towards supporting one of their own, versus trying to assign blame and responsibility. To him and others.

klewlis wrote:I'm really glad to see the running community supporting him, and I hope he makes a full recovery.

100% agreed! :D
Next up:

Fix my knees

Races:

2008 Royal Victoria Half - 1:39:47 (my first race!!!)

Reports:

Royal Victoria (1/2) Marathon - This is my story (my first race report!)

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Agreed. The focus should be really on helping Danny out.

Heard a discussion on this on the Running Show, radio show, in Ottawa. Sounds like after a week, the fund has received over $8,000 in on-line support (doesn't include the cheques in the mail.) There may also be some runs organized to raise money. My sense is the bill will be covered. Very nice.

And we have all had a nice eduation about insurance. :)
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm happy to see that the money is coming in to help Danny out.

Obviously lots of people besides runners are hearing his story. This morning my friend Val who comes over to my house to help with housework said as she walked in the door...'I was thinking about you when I was listening to the radio...it was about this young runner from Congo who is now a Canadian and needs help......"
I said..."yep...Danny Kassap".

And canalrunner is right...we've all had a little insurance education.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Some good news on the donation front. Here's what the the site says now:

IMPORTANT UPDATE

The response to this campaign has far, far exceeded our hopes. We've received donations from Newfoundland to British Columbia, and even from the United States - the generosity of the running community has been truly humbling. We've also received more potential good news: It appears Danny may be eligible for a significantly higher payment from OHIP than initially thought; and a charity in Ottawa may be willing to fund one specific part of Danny's treatment (a portable defibrillator vest which he was required to wear before being allowed to fly), which cost just over $3,000 to rent. Neither of these possible sources of funding are confirmed, and it may take several months before we find out if they will actually happen. However, if we add that tentative funding to the money we've received so far, along with other pledges we've received and cheques that we expect will continue arriving next week, we're starting to get close to the minimum goal of $18,000 (a little over 12,000 euros). While it's almost certain that we'll need to raise a little more money later, we're going to TURN OFF THE ONLINE DONATION FEATURE TEMPORARILY, just to make sure we don't run into the "problem" of raising more than we need.

Needless to say, Danny has been overwhelmed by the response, and by the messages of support he has received. If you have any questions, please let us know at dannykassapfund@gmail.com.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Awesome! I'm very happy things are looking good on the $$ side for him :D Hope he is well on his way to recovery.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:00 am

Wow, that is a very heart-warming thing to read. Thank you for the update Michal.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:41 am

Fantastic! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 pm

I got a nice personally-written thank you card & note from Danny and an invitation to run with him some time.....anyone have a pair of Heelys I could borrow?
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Nick wrote:I got a nice personally-written thank you card & note from Danny and an invitation to run with him some time.....anyone have a pair of Heelys I could borrow?

:shock: Are you kidding us? He'll have a pretty busy running schedule for the next little while...

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Nick wrote:I got a nice personally-written thank you card & note from Danny and an invitation to run with him some time.....anyone have a pair of Heelys I could borrow?

Awesome.

Very cool.

No Heeleys... sorry! :) (But I did see an adult-sized pair on Grey's Anatomy last week!)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:56 pm

I got one too, and it totally made my day :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Very very cool..thanks for sharing this :D

Return to “General Running Discussion”