T.G.I. Boxing Day

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Marg
Site Admin

T.G.I. Boxing Day

Postby Marg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:47 am

Wow, where did this week go??
Can anyone move after last night feasting? :lol: I woke up feeling full but jolly.

I will go to the gym for strength and core, maybe some bike.

Enjoy the racing for the 10 milers and happy shopping if that's your thing!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:59 am

I woke up sounding like a turkey lol. Calculated that I will need to run for 3 days to burn off all the food! Was good though. Happy Boxing Day shopping to those going. I'm heading out of country this summer for 3 years so when I come to Ottawa in February I'll be looking for a M&G to say farewell for awhile. On the other hand I will be able to do marathons in neat places and have a place for other maniacs that may be doing the same.

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:01 am

I haven't even HAD my turkey yet - that's today's tasty task. Haven't decided if I'm running or biking today - but something will DEFINITELY be done to offset the damage that dinner will do.

Happy boxing day!
Next?
:)

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 am

Today is yet another travel day for us. We finally head home today and its been one he!! of a week for us.

We started out to Nova Scotia on the 20th, making it as far as Q and the Hfx Christmas party...then over to COTR's to bed down for the night. The next morning we made our way to Hantsport to see Scotty's parents, then on the 22nd we traveled further on down the Valley to my parents' house. All the while Scotty wasn't feeling well, and the kids were just recovering from their sicknesses. On Christmas Eve, I put my foot down with Scotty and took him to the outpatient department in Annapolis where he was diagnosed with a lung infection, ear infection and a perforated ear drum.

Merry F'n Christmas!

Yesterday we opened gifts with my parents, then immediately headed back up the Valley (1 hr drive) to Scotty's parents to open more gifts....Scotty was happily drugged and starting to feel better.

Today we head home. It will be nice to sleep in our own bed....

...but believe it or not, it was a really, really good Christmas...It was nice to be home, it was great to see both my sisters and their families all under my Mum and Dad's roof. The only one missing was my brother's brood. There were 16 of us...and it wasn't chaos. It was good.

But I am really looking forward to snuggling down with my cats and a book tonight.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 am

First up here and the house is quiet. Must be the first time in 3 days :shock:
We're going to head out later and do some showing of Nova Scotia for the visitors. That is, if they get up before noon :!:
I'll be out for a run soon. It's sunny and -11 here - nice for running.

Safe travels home CAW. And glad to hear Scotty's been taken care of.
Safe travels, safe shopping everyone :!:

Boxing Day best :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:02 am

I am also SO full from last night- our Christmas dinner went very well, but OMG that was a ton of food! Who knew 8 people could eat almost all of an 18lb turkey... :?
I am heading out for a long run soon. On Friday? Why you ask? Well, because in about 7 hours I will be ready to say A-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-evoir cold weather, rain, slush and snow! We're going to Mexico! Can you tell I'm excited??? 8) I can't wait to run outside in the hot sun!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:11 am

QuickChick wrote:I am also SO full from last night- our Christmas dinner went very well, but OMG that was a ton of food! Who knew 8 people could eat almost all of an 18lb turkey... :?
I am heading out for a long run soon. On Friday? Why you ask? Well, because in about 7 hours I will be ready to say A-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-evoir cold weather, rain, slush and snow! We're going to Mexico! Can you tell I'm excited??? 8) I can't wait to run outside in the hot sun!

W00T! Have a great time you guys!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:31 am

What I don't understand is how I can eat only one meal on Christmas Day and a few bites of snacks that night and feel SO full!

We had a great Christmas. The best part was having a day off with my family.

Everything is closed in NB on the 26th. I looked on Empire Theatre's website and it looks like they are open so I am taking my guys to a movie. Not that we don't have a million new Blue Ray movies to watch here at home... :wink:

Have a terrific day! May all the joy in the world fill your hearts and make your holidays smiley and bright.
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:53 am

Today is Turkey Day for us as well. We did however, indulge in lobster, filet mignon and crab stuffed mushrooms! I slept like crap last night. My system doesn't take well to that kind of indulgence! I will climb up onto my trainer and see if I can last an hour! I now have a nice TV and DVD to help! (Thanks Santa!)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:53 am

Very quiet day here. Eldest is off working, middle one is sleeping and the youngest has to be driven back to his apartment this afternoon as he works tonight. Soccer on TV in a few minutes and then a 7K easy run is in the schedule. Will definitely try to do that one outside.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:55 am

CdnArtyWife wrote:...Scotty ....was diagnosed with a lung infection, ear infection and a perforated ear drum.

OK, so how did he get the perforated ear drum....was he not doing what he was told???
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:59 am

Kara - glad you are headed home - safe travels!

Easy 5km on the treadmill this morning to burn off some of the food from the last two days! I actually didn't do *too* badly yesterday in the eating department, but a lot of treats seem to have followed us home!

In a few minutes we'll be heading out to the in-laws' annual boxing day brunch and family road hockey show down! I've got my game face on.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:08 am

Nick wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:...Scotty ....was diagnosed with a lung infection, ear infection and a perforated ear drum.

OK, so how did he get the perforated ear drum....was he not doing what he was told???

Nick, you've been to a Halfax M&G. Did you have to ask?

1.5 hrs. on the exercise bike done in 3 minutes!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:10 am

Nick wrote:

Most likely a result of the ear infection.

DS used to get ear infections all the time when he was little - so often that he wouldn't notice until his ear drum perforated and his ear 'leaked', so that I could see it (he never complained of pain and didn't really get fevers). He got 't-tubes' when he was five and that solved the problem (chronic fluid behind his ear drums that got infected on a regular basis).

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:07 am

I love boxing day. So laid back, and lots of leftovers in the fridge, so no cooking. Kids are watching new movies, DH is on the treadmill, I've been playing on the computer, and I'll get my turn on the treadmill tonight.

No shopping planned for me, I just can't face the stores, and there isn't really anything special that I want, so it would be aimless shopping anyway.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am

All is quiet here too. We had an awesome Christmas spent at my sister's (and family). My Mom was missing though as she wasn't feeling up to joining in on the festivities. I guess she played too hard Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. :cry: A care package was prepared and brought to her so she could have a chance to enjoy the great food prepared by my sister though and we are heading there shortly to bring her her gifts that she didn't get to open yesterday.

I've dropped dd at the mall (at 9 am! with her g/f!!!) to spend the many $ in g/c received. (this seem most appropriate these days). She enjoys the hub bub and will not only have a blast but no doubt come home with a s/l of loot too! She's a great bargain shopper!

Waiting for s/o to return from his folks (he spent yesterday with his family) and perhaps we will head to the gym (if it's open) or take in a movie. Or, just hang out here.... who knows!

We also have 2 birthdays to celebrate today, my b-i-l and his son, both born on the same day. Hoping no one made any birthday cake though - can't imagine any more sweets could be consumed!

Happy Boxing Day all!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:24 am

5km in 30min on the treadmill followed by a light workout.... getting ready for some college football games on tv!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:44 am

I'm still in my jammies. :) Been loading updates on my re-built computer for the last two days. I did a short 4K run yesterday, but doubtful that I will do anything today.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:45 am

I ran 6km this morning. It was a good run - no wind and the roads are clear - but I was a bit nervous, esp on the last half, because I worried I'd run out of steam. It seemed by legs were moving too fast (for me) - they might trip over themselves :shock:
6.36/k
6.20/k
6.11/k
5.53/k
5.44/k
5.19/k

Maybe it was the turkey, or the red wine, or the chocolate, or the late nights but whatever it was that last 3k is fast for me :? Now if only I could keep it up for another 15k :D

Our plans of yesterday - to get out and see a bit of NS - don't seem to be happening ...... goodness knows what time they all went to bed last night but there is no sign of life :!:
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Nice run Jac! :D

Lily let us sleep in until 745 :shock: . So I got up for a little bit and went back to sleep :lol: . I heart boxing day.

Ran 8k on the TM yesterday and planning to run again today...still hoping to meet my mileage goal for Dec :)

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Got up early (for me) and did 10 miles, cause I needed it to feel better and to get some calories burned off. I stepped on scale am before Christmas and then again before I went to bed on Christmas night and the difference was 5 pounds. Must be fluids, I can't possibly eat that much ....can I? ...Well maybe, tummy was hurting a bit and it was stretched tight.....so out on the road with some so-so footing and icy parts.

But the good news is I lost 3 pounds on the run. Now don't anyone break the news that it might, just might be water that I lost and not those thousands and thosands of calories from turkey and goodies...after all it was just water that gave me that 5 pound gain.

Have to go not, I thnk it time for another meal....light wieght airy food I hope :)

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Just had lunch at work, now it's back to the grindstone. Have an appeal due on Monday, so at least a working draft has to be finished before I leave today. :shock: Maybe I should change my screenname to procrastinator. Brought elliptical gear, so I'll head to the gym for 6-7 miles after I finish here, then it's home to study. Bar is in less than 2 months! :shock: :shock: :shock:
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:20 pm

6K easy on the dreadmill in 32 mins.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:40 pm

moof324 wrote:Bar is in less than 2 months! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Awesome--what an accomplishment!!
Louise

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Christmas was nice but I am really liking Boxing Day...slept in until almost 10! No more craziness trying to get things done for Christmas.

It's snowing AGAIN...DH is out with the snow-clearing crews and I am not sure when he'll be home. I'll be heading down to the treadmill this afternoon for 6k. Feels like I haven't run in weeks but it's only been 5 days.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Return to “General Running Discussion”