Remember when....

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Remember when....

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 am

Remember when you got the T-shirt at the end of the race? My first marathon was Avenue of the Giants in California. They had two aid stations stocked with water and oranges. They gave you your T-shirt at the finish: no finisher medal.

Remember when the Nike LDV with the waffle souls were the only long distance shoe? Well, NB came out with the 980 pretty quick. I used NB 420s. I had to put shoo goo on the heels to get them to last for any length of time. One night, drunk, I put the shoo goo on the wrong side of the heel and never noticed until the famous runner Peanut Harms laughed at me for being so stupid.

Remember when it was thought women couldn't run marathons? Who was that incredible eastern eurpoean woman, Greta Weitz? Or Joan Benoit breezing into the finish of an Olympic marathon when others were bent over from energy usage?

Remember when the Western States was only for horses?

Anybody else nostalgic?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 am

I've only been running for the past six years and I I never paid much attention to "runners" in the past....except...one vivid memory from 1985 when I was living in Ottawa. My friend May decided she was going to run the Ottawa National Capital Marathon. Not only did I think she was crazy I thought this was a very unwise thing to do. But I promised her I would go and cheer for her on the race course. I remember exactly where I stood...right near Pretoria Bridge and I clearly remember watching her approach where I was standing and thinking..."wow...she's looking good" She stopped for a quick hug and sailed on to the Finish. She felt fine after the race but I still thought she was crazy.
Little did I know that 25 years later, I'd be a runner and one who had run a couple marathons :roll: :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:03 am

I only started running 6 years ago, and similar to Jo Jo I didn't follow running much before that time. However, I do remember as a kid watching one of the Olympic games when a finisher was collapsing over the finish line. I couldn't comprehend running that far and I thought they must have accomplished something beyond mere mortal capabilities :shock:
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

s rasmussen
Johnny Miles

Postby s rasmussen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am

I grew up in what is now Zimbabwe, in Africa, my Dad was a professor at the university.

About 1960-1962 the English runner Gordon Pirie came over to compete in a mile race at the university cinder track, against local runners. I remember dad drove me down to watch the race, and explained that he sometimes did training runs in army boots, the extra weight of the boots apparently making his legs stronger.

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Remember when running shorts were "shorts". Cleaning up the basement I came to some shorts I had in '92-'93 from Boston.

Today the common inseam is what like 6-8 inches...back then you could see the lining from the split in the side. Same goes for all other sports--every now an then an old basketball game clip---Kareen, Bird, Johnston etc and they have "shorts", so do the tenniss players---today baskeball shorts go down below the knees

Today track runners have spandex formitting eveything.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Re: Remember when....

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:Remember when you got the T-shirt at the end of the race? My first marathon was Avenue of the Giants in California. They had two aid stations stocked with water and oranges. They gave you your T-shirt at the finish: no finisher medal.

The Manitoba Marathon still doesn't give t-shirts to full marathoners until they finish...so yes...I remember... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But every other marathon I've run I've received my t-shirt with my bib and race package...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:40 pm

First Marathon Boom: I ran between 1979--1984. Jerome Drayton--where is he now, Jacqueline Gareau. Mike Dyon. Brian Maxwell. No gatorade, no gels--flat coke, water and oranges. No one ran half marathons and there weren't many 5ks. I wore NB 660's. Nike Peagusus, and Adidas Boston--I think. Saw Terry Fox run through Woodstock, Ontario. Was at the start line of a 10k race in Cambridge, when they announced he had died. There was a long moment of silence...and tears. The Glen Tay race in Perth is organized in a retro sort of way that reminds me of the old days. Hand done timing. A mile split. Pennant for finishers.

Nice thread.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:44 pm

It's so neat to read recollections from Maniacs who have been running a long time. :D

Who is Peanut Harms???
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Who is Peanut Harms???

A California speedster; although I don't think beyond there or then. I belonged to the Aggie Running Club; also famous in that part of the world, but I'm sure not too far beyond there. They were the first to do centipedes in the Bay to Breakers (San Francisco) and when we got to the turn around in any race, we did Lenichi turns! Those were the days!

[now I am sounding like a grandmother!]

get-go
Johnny Miles

Postby get-go » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:57 pm

I remember watching a olympic woman's speed walking marathon (76?) and one competitor was disqualified just as she was entering the stadium. I really felt for her as she argued with the official. I still think of the pain and frustration she must of felt.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:58 pm

ummm.what are centipedes...and Lenichi turns :roll: :roll:

get-go
Johnny Miles

Postby get-go » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:59 pm

I remember watching a olympic woman's speed walking marathon (76?) and one competitor was disqualified just as she was entering the stadium. I really felt for her as she argued with the official. I still think of the pain and frustration she must of felt.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:ummm.what are centipedes...and Lenichi turns :roll: :roll:

Centipedes: bunches of runners all wearing one continuous costume, like a long dragon or something.

Lenichi turn: named after Doug (?) Lenichi. Instead of just going around the cone, you sort of pirouette around it. Very fun! best done at a 20 mile turn around so you can hit the wall immediately thereafter.

Someone mentioned short shorts: I ran in dark blue running briefs (eek!)

They hadn't invented compeed yet, so I guess we couldn't exactly have too many ultra runners.

No fuel belts (love my two) or camelbaks (love my one); another limitation. I planned my routes to go by gas stations. I don't think us common folk had access to Gu, but maybe Gu was already invented.

Heck....we didn't even have fleece! But, well, in California, no one needed fleece! Cotton sweatshirts were good enough. I was terribly proud of the one issued by the college: a hundred years old, but still had to be turned in after the season, faded navy blue with UC DAVIS on the front.

murmer, slobber...zzzzz

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:46 pm

SF, I like your stories... Did you know you have a gentle southern lilt to your voice... ? :wink:
Louise

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I saw Terry Fox running along Lakeshore Rd. in Burlington.

I met Bill Rodgers and watched him run in the ATB - he was my running idol and is a very nice guy.

I met George Sheehan, running's philosopher from the 70's and also a very nice person.

I bought and used Shoo Goo too!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:58 pm

ratherBrunning wrote:SF, I like your stories... Did you know you have a gentle southern lilt to your voice... ? :wink:

She does indeed...I've heard her in "real voice"...lucky me :D :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm

5km wrote:I saw Terry Fox running along Lakeshore Rd. in Burlington.

I met Bill Rodgers and watched him run in the ATB - he was my running idol and is a very nice guy.

I met George Sheehan, running's philosopher from the 70's and also a very nice person.

I bought and used Shoo Goo too!

WOW. Really cool that you met these two legends...

Remembering back...I did not see Terry Fox running down Spark's Street in Ottawa...but I did see the "aftermath" of his run down that street...I just missed him...but I saw businessmen with tears in their eyes...moved by his spirit and courage.

Flashing forward...I suspect when I'm an old lady I'll remember my chat with Ryan Hall at the Boston Expo in 2008...a nice guy too.

Hmmm...what was Shoo Goo all about... :roll: :roll:

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Hmmm...what was Shoo Goo all about... :roll: :roll:

The heels on running shoes were not as durable in the 70's and 80's as they are today. You could often wear out the heel and be down into the foam rubber before the shoe was completely worn out.

So Shoo Goo was just that, a gooey adhesive in a tube that you applied to the worn area to make your shoe "just like new". Well, not exactly, the goo was a bit hard when it dried and it didn't last too long but it was worth a shot. Shoes were relatively expensive then and not so easy to find!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:29 pm

My dad was working at the Commonwealth Games ,1954, Vancouver and he was in Empire Stadium and watched Bannister and Landy race The Miracle Mile. He loved to tell me that story and I always loved to hear it.
So while not my own Remember When.... it is one of my faves from my Dad.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I remember running in the same marathon as Mike Dyon (Ottawa '83). Never met Dr. Sheehan but read many of his stories in that great running mag The Runner. Before RW bought it up and canned it. I remember when Brooks came out with the revolutionary Varus Wedge...a 3 degree wedge in the midsole to combat over-pronation. Running in Tiger shoes..not Asics as they are now called. Tiger Jayhawk was a great racing shoe. Nike waffles...the LDV and then the Internationalist.

Short shorts...playing soccer in the Adidas Mexico shorts with an inseam of about 1 inch. Some guys ran in jockstraps and shorts with no lining.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Great memories reading about Shoo Goo. I still use it on my sandals today! AND....how about those narrow terry cloth head/sweat bands!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't remember the 60's. Ahhh....good times, I think!

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:02 pm

drghfx wrote:I don't remember the 60's. Ahhh....good times, I think!

I (fortunately or unfortunately) am with you !
"You're in over your head Donny..."

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:07 pm

I remember when running shoes only came in men's sizes.
I remember the first xcountry ski outfit I bought - the boots, the knickers, the socks (knee highs :shock: ) were all mens.
I remember being different.... :?
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

scottp
Bruce Kidd

Postby scottp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Cotton shorts, Tshirts and grey sweats...all biodegradable after a few months.

The K-way jacket, like running inside a tent.

Yup...good times...

Return to “General Running Discussion”