What was your first .... Hump Wednesday ....

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 am

A red vette. CHEvette that is... lol. Can't remember the year but I vaguely recall dodging dinosaurs in it... :roll:

10km done in 56minutes and change. I needed that.
Strength and stretching also done and now I'm waiting patiently for a big cup of coffee to arrive.

Have a good one!

Oh La... you torment me so. :drool: Red Velvet... my absolute fave.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:11 am

A 1967 Dodge Polara

bought it in 1972 for $1200 with 45,000 miles on it (mine was a red 2 door).

It had a "Craig Powerplay" under dash mounted 8 track stereo and a big V8 and got about 10-15 miles to the gallon but that was alright because gas was 50-60 cents a gallon or about 11-13 cents a litre.

Wrecked it with in a year and replaced it with a 1967 Merc Cougar with the sequential signal lights that I bought with 50,000 miles on it for $900

I would love to have that car back...... sigh

Anyway no run yesterday as i did errands after work but will get a 5 k in tonight
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 am

1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon - had been my family's car and I bought it from my mother around 2000. I *loved* that car, and drove it until it was 14 years old - and had a rusted out floor, and no clutch. I still see a few of them on the roads every once in a while.

8 km easy run this morning in the beautiful weather. Tonight I coach - might try and go early to spin myself as well.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:38 am

Nick wrote:First car was a white late-1960-something Ford Anglia bought in '71 or '72. Had a lot of fun with that little car over in England.....

Soccer tonight.

I remember those. They had wings on the back :lol:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:47 am

First (and only, maybe ever) car was a 1992 Honda Civic, bought in 1999. Sold it for very little in 2001, after it died.... I was totally screwed on that one... the odometer had been rolled back 100,000KM!! :evil:

This morning, I ran 6.7km, 5:13 pace. OK with that. :)

No soccer today!! Going to see Azar Nafisi (author of Reading Lolita in Tehran) speak after work, hosted by Jian Gomeshi.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:50 am

1962 Corvair Monza.... ah.....

Next up:

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am

198something Toyota Corolla hatchback in an ugly beigy-brown. I got it from my mother's parents for high school graduation. I never did drive it since I wasn't allowed to drive with epilepsy. My aunt and uncle got it since they needed a commuter car.

I feel better today and am going to try and run 4K later on. I'm still coughing a lot, but at least things are moving around and I have my breath back. 8)

Hope everyone has a great day! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Jason G
Johnny Miles

Postby Jason G » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 am

85 Chev pickup (what can I say, I grew up in Saskatchewan)

Just 6k easy today.
Jason

upcoming races:
Lethbridge Moonlight 10K - March 14 - 43:01
Airdrie Half-marathon - April 19 - 1:31:33
Calgary Full-marathon - May 31, 2009
?

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 am

dgrant1 wrote:1962 Corvair Monza.... ah.....

Wow you're old Denis!

My first was a '67 Ford Econoline van. Engine in the middle, you could sit on it or open the cover while driving. I lived in it one summer. Even had an upper deck!
Yikes, I'm wearing a knee brace even 30 years ago, man I'm old!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 am

love the pic Doonst!

my first car (in 1990) was handed down from my sister - a 1975 Chev Malibu. Huge mother of a car with a tonne of power. And you could fit 28 kids in it (we did that once at summer camp). And it had horrible gas mileage. But that didn't matter - my gas came from the magical land of Dad's bulk farm gas tanks - which I just thought had an unlimited supply. sigh. :wink:

Last night - one mother of a f'ng speed session as perscribed by my coach on the treadmill (missed my actual class as I was able to hook it up with RGR for dinner!).

Then, got up and did a spin this morning doing the first video of the IMC course. My legs were feeling it, but now I'm done my workouts in Canada and my next one will be in the Domincan - we leave tomorrow! (and yes, we've got workouts to do during our vacation - even a beach bootcamp style workout which I'm totally pumped for!)
Race Hard. Race Happy.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the fun part of my run this morning: I met a skunk! Close enough to make eye contact. :shock:
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:50 am

Doonst wrote:My first was a '67 Ford Econoline van. Engine in the middle, you could sit on it or open the cover while driving. I lived in it one summer. Even had an upper deck!

I think that's the same van my dad had when I was a kid. Did yours have mirrors on the ceiling and a bed in the back? Yeah, dad's did :roll: :sick:

Anyway... my first car was a '72 Ford Maverick. It was the same age as me. My opa give it to me and my mom just about when I got my drivers licence. Baby sh*t brown, 4-doors, no heat, no air, the rear window had this plastic oval film on the interior to keep it from frosting except the seal had broken. I drove that car into the ditch, literally. When I drove friends in the winter we would try to fit as many of us in the front as possible to try to keep warm. I got, if I remember correctly, approx. 15 kids into that car on one particularly good party night.

Rest day today. My lower back is still sore. Not sure why but it's not killing me and I can walk normal so I'll just continue to ignore it for now.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:51 am

bruyère wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the fun part of my run this morning: I met a skunk! Close enough to make eye contact. :shock:

Awww. Skunks are cute (except from the back end :lol:)
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:58 am

abhainn wrote:
bruyère wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the fun part of my run this morning: I met a skunk! Close enough to make eye contact. :shock:

Awww. Skunks are cute (except from the back end :lol:)

Did you get to pet it ? or, Bring it home ... Nice, kitty .... :P :wink:

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 am

In 1979 I bought a black 1972 Mustang fastback with a high output 351 Cleaveland... and worn steering that caused it to randomly want to pull hard left or right (it varied). Looked cool, I thought.

14.5 km this morning, probably 12k tonight. Cold today, but it is 30c in Havana and I'll be there Friday. :D

Michael

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:03 am

Marg wrote:A red vette. CHEvette that is... lol. Can't remember the year but I vaguely recall dodging dinosaurs in it... :roll:

10km done in 56minutes and change. I needed that.
Strength and stretching also done and now I'm waiting patiently for a big cup of coffee to arrive.

Have a good one!

Oh La... you torment me so. :drool: Red Velvet... my absolute fave.

Another proud VETTE owner here too. A burgundy chevette that I lovingly named Juliette Tango Whiskey :lol:
The colour is wrong but this is what she looked like. I loved that car, even it did break down weekly, thank goodness I had BCAA membership.

Rest day today.

On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 am

+1 for the ubersexy chevette owners! lol

Mine was a blue 1980 chevette that my dad gave me when I turned 16.

A year later I lost it to a deer (the first of two cars that I lost to deer). I'm now on car #6!

Today I took the day off of work, which means that I can get a mid-length run in today. So I am planning for 10 miles.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 am

K I'm really excited. I have a real authentic, pretty cool looking Emmy Award in my office.

Just need to say that. :)

Here is the story behind it. I just lucked into holding onto it for a little while... :shifty:

OTTAWA, January 7, 2009 — The Communications Research Centre (CRC) Canada received a second Emmy Award at a ceremony taking place today at the Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards Gala.
The Canadian government's primary laboratory for research and development (R&D) in advanced telecommunications won for their contribution to the standard for digital TV.

“I congratulate the CRC and applaud their contribution which has garnered the organization such deserving attention,” said Minister of State Goodyear. “This second Emmy Award demonstrates the high standard of the government's performance in S&T.”

CRC is among four organizations being recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for their efforts in standardizing the ATSC Digital Television System to replace the analog NTSC television system. The transition will take place in Canada by August 31, 2011. CRC's Advanced Television Evaluation Laboratory conducted all subjective evaluation tests of picture quality and assessed the effects of transmission impairments. These results enabled the selection of the best HDTV format and digital transmission system that is defining a new era of digital television broadcasting to home viewers.

“I also salute the partnership developed by the CRC to undertake this work, in particular with Industry Canada, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Telesat Canada,” said Minister of State Goodyear.

CRC won its first Emmy in 1987 with NASA for their joint role in developing Ku band satellite technology through the Hermes program.

Over the last 40 years, many CRC scientific and engineering milestones have been achieved, contributing to Canada's position as a world leader in wireless and satellite communications and broadcast technologies.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:22 am

Are you bringing it to the M&G next week? :pray:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:38 am

My first car was a 1977 Mustang which was actually a wreck I purchased with my "grad" money and my dad fixed and painted (amazing awesome paint job btw) as a grad gift. Brings back good memories.... except for the fact that I totalled it. :roll:

Today... working from home again as DD is STILL sick. :? I didn't get my run done yesterday, was busy doing cupcakes & valentines until almost midnight. :? Nice that DD's teacher told them yesterday that they were celebrating valentines today instead of Thursday. :evil:

Anyways... since DD is sick and I have no childcare, I've had to cancel my PT session scheduled for today (originally scheduled for Monday). Just as well as I really need to get a run in, will likley do ~ 8k on the TM tonight.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:45 am

Marg wrote:K I'm really excited. I have a real authentic, pretty cool looking Emmy Award in my office.

Just need to say that. :)

Here is the story behind it. I just lucked into holding onto it for a little while... :shifty:

OTTAWA, January 7, 2009 — The Communications Research Centre (CRC) Canada received a second Emmy Award at a ceremony taking place today at the Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards Gala.
The Canadian government's primary laboratory for research and development (R&D) in advanced telecommunications won for their contribution to the standard for digital TV.

“I congratulate the CRC and applaud their contribution which has garnered the organization such deserving attention,” said Minister of State Goodyear. “This second Emmy Award demonstrates the high standard of the government's performance in S&T.”

CRC is among four organizations being recognized by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for their efforts in standardizing the ATSC Digital Television System to replace the analog NTSC television system. The transition will take place in Canada by August 31, 2011. CRC's Advanced Television Evaluation Laboratory conducted all subjective evaluation tests of picture quality and assessed the effects of transmission impairments. These results enabled the selection of the best HDTV format and digital transmission system that is defining a new era of digital television broadcasting to home viewers.

“I also salute the partnership developed by the CRC to undertake this work, in particular with Industry Canada, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Telesat Canada,” said Minister of State Goodyear.

CRC won its first Emmy in 1987 with NASA for their joint role in developing Ku band satellite technology through the Hermes program.

Over the last 40 years, many CRC scientific and engineering milestones have been achieved, contributing to Canada's position as a world leader in wireless and satellite communications and broadcast technologies.

SPEECH!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:03 pm

my grampa's 1980 Toyota Tercel. she was the colour of butterscotch pudding so her name was Butterscotch. bought her for $3000 in 1988 with 19,000 KM on her. had to install a radio. she was wonderful but my father-in-law didn't think that she was suitable for driving his future granddaughter around in so he bought a new car and gave me his 1987 BMW 528e with over 300,000 KM on it in 1999.

have a brick on the schedule today - trainer ride followed by a treadmill walk.

and Valentine's with the Things. they want to make them on the computer.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 pm

1989 VW Jetta. Red. Kept it for two years, moved to North Ontario, got it stuck more times than I could count in snow, traded to a Jeep.

Treadmill at lunch today, unless it unexpectedly warms up (I don't have my outside stuff with me today).
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:10 pm

My first car was a 1980 Ford LTD. It was white and a family car that had been retired in 88 when my parents bought a mini van. I put 500 into it to put it back on the road in 91. That vehicle got us out to many great concerts in Toronto, Buffalo and Guelph. I got rid of it in 94 when I was living in Toronto.

Nice run at the Y this morning. Some variety: A warm up run, stretching, a few miles with core work in between and some race pace broken up with a light jog.
What time is LOVE?

ABXF
Tom Longboat

Postby ABXF » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 pm

1992 Honda Accord EX-R bought in 2002. Still driving it, but not since 2 weeks ago since it has a problem. Before that, shared the GF's 1990 and 1992 Mazda Proteges.

Lack of a vehicle and the forecast rain makes getting in an xc ski workout in iffy, so plan is to get in a longish workout at the gym on elliptical, rower, treadmill etc.

Return to “General Running Discussion”