Chicago Marathon

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Chicago Marathon

Postby dgrant » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 am

I ran this one in 2003...can't wait to do it again!

The Chicago Marathon is one of the 'megamarathons', with registration over 35,000. Despite the huge size, I found the whole organization - from the expo to the finish area - was extremely well organized and smooth. The volunteers were very friendly and seemed like they really enjoyed being part of the event.

The course is very flat and fast. Several of the world's 20 fastest times have been set here. However, because of the huge field, it is very possible to get bogged down behind slower runners if you don't seed yourself correctly at the start (there is no corral or wave start system). The course takes you on a nice tour of the city's neighbourhoods and starts and finishes in beautiful Grant Park downtown.

The most famous part of this marathon is the legendary crowd support. For the first 35 kms of the race, the sidewalks are lined 5-deep with people cheering their guts out. I don't know the backstory of why the city embraces the race so much, but it is unbelievable. People were hanging out of their apartment windows with stereos...I've never seen anything like it. If you think I'm exaggerating, check out marathonguide.com. People love this race.

The only downsides are that there is no associated 1/2 marathon this weekend, and some people just don't like crowds and noise. Unless you are turned off by these, you must run this race someday!!!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:30 pm

I second that emotion...
It's by far my slowest race due to the crowds. If you do walk breaks, don't start them until you're at your proper pace, or you'll get sucked in with a slower mob and not be able to get through.

However, it's been my favourite by far as well. When I do it again, I'll seed myself up with a crowd a bit faster than I plan to run, and start walk breaks at the second or third mile.
It's totally pancake flat, too.

Do this race!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Return to “General Running Discussion”