Beginner Senior(55) looking for training help

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Beginner Senior(55) looking for training help

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi
New to the forum. I am 55 and have just started a running program. Have not done any real exercising for years. Basically sedentary lifestyle. I am 6 feet, 175 lbs. Reasonalbly good shape considering.
I have been run/walking for 5-6 weeks now. had a hip flexor 3 weeks ago, saw physio, fine now.
I am up to 5min walk/5min run now times 3 with cool down. I do stretches and some lower and core strength exercises daily.
My question is is it better to increase my run and less walk gradually or to increase the number of reps I do, like 4 times instead of 3.
Also these are muscles i haven't used in a long time ; how much healing time is necessary, Most info I have seen says at least one full day off. Any help would be appreciated.
Slowbutsure

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 pm

I just wanted to be the 1st to say Hello! & welcome to RunningMania! :D
How did you find us?

I'll let those who are more knowledgable asnwer the question with reagrds to injury healing time.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Here is the program I followed. I found it to be a bit more gentle than some others and I also like that it gives lots of explanation. I've referred several friends to it and they've all liked it too. It has 3 runs/week. You would be starting probably around week 4.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/beginner_5km.html

And welcome to RM!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Welcome to RM!!
I started to run at age 50 after being not too active for about 2 decades :oops:
Six years later...I'm still running and loving it.

Welcome to RM...we're a lovely bunch a people with a "running problem" :wink:
Well...some of us (not me) have a Tri problem :roll:

How did you find us??
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

Welcome Slowbutsure; and have fun running! Get a running problem and quit having a life. The Canadian members are lovely. I am just a hanger on pain in the AXX Kansan. I don't have any training advice for you.

Is being addicted to running a problem? I guess so: I have hit bottom and the only life I know is the running one.

I don't have that tri problem. I'm too scared of cars and chlorine!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Thanks thanks thanks

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi and Thanks Thanks Thanks for the warm welcome. Found you the usual way...Google.
Not sure if I am repllying to all 4 responses but try to answer all in one.
I will check out the program that was mentioned and again thanks.
I must admit there are very powerful feelings when running. I felt really bad when I had to rehab for a week due to the hip flexor, really missed it, bot I listened to the physio and got better in a week. Would love to just go but need to stick to a gradual plan given my situation.
Not really sure why i started, but maybe inspired by my co-worker who finished 25th and 19th in the Manitoba Marathon(3:07 and 3:15) and ran the Boston.(2000th?)
I am shooting for 5k, 10k. and by next year maybe half-marathon.
Thanks again and probably talk again.
slowbutsure :D

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Welcome Slowbutsure; and have fun running! Get a running problem and quit having a life. The Canadian members are lovely. I am just a hanger on pain in the AXX Kansan. I don't have any training advice for you.

Is being addicted to running a problem? I guess so: I have hit bottom and the only life I know is the running one.

Okay Spirit Flower - Now that I have decided to try the "Marathon in Fifty Staes" ( And ten Canadian Provinces as well ) I must get out to Kansas and run a marathon in your neck of the woods.

Re: Beginning - I started running at age 60 ( with a somewhat active sports life - hockey ) and ran my first Marathon a little over a year later. I am up to 12 Marathons completed, lots of half marathons, 4 - 30 km races and a couple 25 km ones too. I started slowly and increased my distances in increments as outlined in the RR Clinics. First the half-marathon clinic and then a marathon clinic.

Good luck!

Ken ( the persistent tortoise )

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks tortoiise, great to hear about other "mature individuals" and how well they have done.
slowbutsure

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi and welcome here!

My Dad just started running a year ago when he was 56. I build him a learn to run program, mixing running and walking.

From 30 sec run: 2 mins walk to 10 mins run: 1 min walk in 12 weeks. He now runs about 5K -3 times a week. He also does lots of walking on the days he's not running. We run all the time together now =)

If you want to increase your running time then do it gradually. You said you were at 5 mins run: 5 min walk. Then you can start doing 6 min run: 5 min walk, then next week 6 min run: 4 min walk. Or smth like that.

Good luck and have fun!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:08 pm

slowbutsure wrote:Thanks tortoiise, great to hear about other "mature individuals" and how well they have done.
slowbutsure

mature?! didn't he just say he plans to do a marathon in every state and province. you're only young once, but you can be immature your whole life. :wink:

welcome slowbutsure. i would be working on gradually increasing running and decreasing walking working up to run 9 minutes/walk 1 minute. from there, you can decide if you want to keep the 9&1 or keep increasing until you don't need a walk break. lots of folks have opinions on either approach.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks to both of you and thanks for the mature correction. you are absolutely right. Thanks for the suggestions. And again good to hear again about fellow young at hearts doing so well. I am not alone out there that's for sure.
Thanks again for the very warm welconing
slowbutsure

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:11 pm

mature?! didn't he just say he plans to do a marathon in every state and province. you're only young once, but you can be immature your whole life.

That does it seuss - when I get to run in B.C. I will have to get you to run with me!!! :lol:

Besides I already have seven states and two provinces :twisted:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:12 pm

tortoise wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Okay Spirit Flower - Now that I have decided to try the "Marathon in Fifty Staes" ( And ten Canadian Provinces as well ) I must get out to Kansas and run a marathon in your neck of the woods.

Re: Beginning - I started running at age 60 ( with a somewhat active sports life - hockey ) and ran my first Marathon a little over a year later. I am up to 12 Marathons completed, lots of half marathons, 4 - 30 km races and a couple 25 km ones too. I started slowly and increased my distances in increments as outlined in the RR Clinics. First the half-marathon clinic and then a marathon clinic.

Good luck!

Ken ( the persistent tortoise )

Ken, um, not mature, but there are lots of people who di the 50 state thing or run marathons every week.

I can help with both Missouri and Kansas. It would be great to meet a maniac in person.

I know...I should come to Canada. Well, we'll have to wait and see! Maybe I'd rather come to Canada than waste $400 a night on Boston hotels!!!! Now that I think about...maybe!

Sorry (not really) about the hijack!

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks
slowbutsure

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Who the heck would start running in their 50's??
That's just silly ... you'll wreck your knees.

:wink: Just kidding... that's what I was told three years ago when I started running at the age of 54. The doubters were wrong.

You have an exciting road ahead. Enjoy the journey... and welcome. :D

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Postby slowbutsure » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and yes I have already started to experience some of the excitement...Who would of thought?
slowbutsure

clocker
Bill Crothers

slowbutsure

Postby clocker » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Welcome to the mania. It's not that manic for me, but some of the meet and greets have hurt my cheeks from laughter. :D

I learnt to run from these folks. This is year six for me and I turned fifty this spring. In the beginning I was cautious about increasing any part of my running and I'm still like that. I spent 14 weeks going from walking to running and I'm still running pain free after a few thousand miles.

These guys used to tell me to listen to my body and it drove me nuts because I couldn't hear very well. Now I kind of get it. Hopefully you'll learn faster than I did that the signals are key to gaining strength and avoiding injury. I'm not who I thought I was, but by listening, I've become more like myself. Cryptic, maybe, but whatever the case, patience has allowed me to continue to reach goals I never thought possible and all without hurting myself, so far.

When I ran my first few races I was amazed that afterward some friends would ask if I won. I always respond with a big HE|| Ya I DID! There are many ways to win obviously. Running has been a wonderful introduction to very personal victories. I sure hope you get to experience some of them through running too.

My genetic make up is such that I'll never be a "fast" runner, nor maybe even qualify as a "Real" runner, but I sure have come to love the vigour that has come with a vastly improved fitness as well as a deep love of simply running.

You can wreck your knees, but you don't have to. ;^) There are a lot of very fast and competitive folks here, but don't let that discourage you. They are very generous with their time and wisdom and the trickle down effect is in full swing.

I look forward to following your progress. Please keep us posted.
Cheers! Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

ananas
Johnny Miles

Postby ananas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 am

Hi there,

Welcome!

I teach a running clinic and most of my runners are at in their fifties and sixties.

We having them start off by running 5:1x4 (five run, one walk, four times)
They then progress to 7:1x3 and then to 10:1x2. After that we start working toward a third rep of 10 by adding on a few extra minutes each week.

The key "rules" I have for them are:
1) No more than 3, no less than 3, runs per week except in the case of rule #2
2) If it hurts, respect it... listen to your body. There is no shame in an extra walk break or an extra day off
3) RUN SLOW. If you can't carry on a conversation, you are running too fast.
4) Warm up with a walk. Cool down with a walk. YOU MUST STRETCH afterward.
5) Get fitted at a reputable store (ie. not Wal-mart) for good shoes

Except for my rule breakers/overachievers :roll: :twisted:, this works really well for them.

slowbutsure
Percy Williams

Re: slowbutsure

Postby slowbutsure » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:20 am

clocker wrote:Welcome to the mania. It's not that manic for me, but some of the meet and greets have hurt my cheeks from laughter. :D

I learnt to run from these folks. This is year six for me and I turned fifty this spring. In the beginning I was cautious about increasing any part of my running and I'm still like that. I spent 14 weeks going from walking to running and I'm still running pain free after a few thousand miles.

These guys used to tell me to listen to my body and it drove me nuts because I couldn't hear very well. Now I kind of get it. Hopefully you'll learn faster than I did that the signals are key to gaining strength and avoiding injury. I'm not who I thought I was, but by listening, I've become more like myself. Cryptic, maybe, but whatever the case, patience has allowed me to continue to reach goals I never thought possible and all without hurting myself, so far.

When I ran my first few races I was amazed that afterward some friends would ask if I won. I always respond with a big HE|| Ya I DID! There are many ways to win obviously. Running has been a wonderful introduction to very personal victories. I sure hope you get to experience some of them through running too.

My genetic make up is such that I'll never be a "fast" runner, nor maybe even qualify as a "Real" runner, but I sure have come to love the vigour that has come with a vastly improved fitness as well as a deep love of simply running.

You can wreck your knees, but you don't have to. ;^) There are a lot of very fast and competitive folks here, but don't let that discourage you. They are very generous with their time and wisdom and the trickle down effect is in full swing.

Cheers! Ian

Here I am aat 6am sucking on a Powerade trying to get ready for work.
Thanks for the support. I was on my run day today so I thought I would go before work at 5am. I NEVER do anything before work AT 5AM? But I did and great, no traffilc no noxious fumes sun coming up AND I went 5/5 (walk/run0 listened to my body STILL HAD GAS went 5/6, STILL had gas went 5/7 still gas but did a 3/3 to cool down.I CAN'T SPEAK!!!
This is all before work. Have been listening to my body days off, stretches etc doing it gradual and thanks ANANAS . 6weeks ago if I ran aminute I would of collapsed then taken 5 minutes to get up. After my last seven my breathing wasn't even too bad.. Sorry about the rambling but had to let someone know and I really need to get ready for work so I can keep my job so I can get those new ASICS when I get to 20 min continuous run.Thanks much Clocker and everyone .. Will talk to you later.
PS The sun is so beautiful at 5am

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:03 am

-
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaTyBrown
Bruce Kidd

Postby KaTyBrown » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 am

Welcome from one of the walkers on RM! Like all the above say - listen to your body, rest it when it hurts and you will be doing marathons in no time flat!! :D

I am back on the road again after 4 months of not walking due to heel spurs and now feel so good to be out there in the early morning.

Take care - run healthy and run easy!

KaTy (or Karen, whichever you are in the mood to call me) :wink:
Karen, my 3 Girls' Nana

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20 am

Sounds like lots of good advice from others so I will just welcome you to RM.

Another Winnipeger....we are indeed slowly taking over the world. :twisted:

Hope to meet you soon.

Karen

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 am

KaTyBrown wrote:Welcome from one of the walkers on RM! Like all the above say - listen to your body, rest it when it hurts and you will be doing marathons in no time flat!! :D

I am back on the road again after 4 months of not walking due to heel spurs and now feel so good to be out there in the early morning.

Take care - run healthy and run easy!

KaTy (or Karen, whichever you are in the mood to call me) :wink:

Slight hijack....yay, on your feet again! Woo hoo!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:37 pm

If I drink a sugar drink like powerade or take a gel too soon before actually running, I mean more than a couple of minutes, I go thru a blood sugar low after I start running, and almost black out: be careful. Powerade is not really necessary at your point in you training anyway.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Re: slowbutsure

Postby JacSprat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 pm

slowbutsure wrote:
clocker wrote:Welcome to the mania. It's not that manic for me, but some of the meet and greets have hurt my cheeks from laughter. :D

Cheers! Ian

Here I am aat 6am sucking on a Powerade trying to get ready for work.
Thanks for the support. I was on my run day today so I thought I would go before work at 5am. I NEVER do anything before work AT 5AM? But I did and great, no traffilc no noxious fumes sun coming up AND I went 5/5 (walk/run0 listened to my body STILL HAD GAS went 5/6, STILL had gas went 5/7 still gas but did a 3/3 to cool down.I CAN'T SPEAK!!!
This is all before work. Have been listening to my body days off, stretches etc doing it gradual and thanks ANANAS . 6weeks ago if I ran aminute I would of collapsed then taken 5 minutes to get up. After my last seven my breathing wasn't even too bad.. Sorry about the rambling but had to let someone know and I really need to get ready for work so I can keep my job so I can get those new ASICS when I get to 20 min continuous run.Thanks much Clocker and everyone .. Will talk to you later.
PS The sun is so beautiful at 5am

You can get something for that you know :shock:

Sorry...I couldn't resist :silenced:

Welcome to RM slowbutsure :D I don't really have any training advice for you but there's lots of people on here who do...as you've already discovered.

Look forward to hearing all about your training and races :D
(I'm 57 btw :D )
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Return to “General Running Discussion”