Victoria 2009

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Victoria 2009

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am

Is anyone doing this race this year?

Still tossing my options around in my head... and this one is on my list. Any maniacs going to be there?

Site makes it look flat and fast... is that so?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

I love Victoria, but won't be there this year (little issue with my due date being the week before!). I've only done the half, but the half and the full share much of the same route.

It is fast, although not totally flat. There are some gradual up & downs through Beacon Hill park and again near the end, but overall there aren't any monster hills. It's also a beautiful course, right along the water for a lot of the route.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I'd take any reason to visit Victoria!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:35 pm

I am doing the Half ( I think) or at least the 8k race. We will see how much training I can get in after tri season is over in Sept. But I should be fine for the Half. I would offer our guest room up but we have our house for sale so I don't even know where we will be living, since we haven't started building yet and hubby is leaving for Africa in 3 weeks.
IMC 2015

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:58 am

I'll be running the half again. The course elevations are a bit deceiving in that there is a consistent slight incline or decline. Nothing too drastic though. Much of the route is along residential areas with great spectator support. Highly recommended!
Up next...
More running!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 am

I loved this marathon last year. It's a beautiful course. It's not exactly "flat and fast", though-- but no huge hills. Unless you are along the water, you're always going either up or down a little-- but I'm a hill-hater and didn't feel at all slowed down by the terrain.

I won't be back this year, though. I'm focussing on rebuilding my base from an injury break, and don't want any big race goals for a while. Even if I was completely healthy now, three months is not enough time to train for a marahton (or even a strong half-marathon). Also, dh and kind of I decided that this was at most an every-other-year destination race for the Thanksgiving long weekend. Also, we lucked out with the weather last year-- couldn't have been nicer, and not too hot either. In 2007 it was a virtual hurricaine.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 am

Great race, a top class event. I've been there the past 3 years and I've done the full twice and the half once. I might give the 8k a shot this year.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:53 am

I would love to do this race...I'll wait until Mike stops going to Kona so I can stay with him and Rach. :D
I keep telling him it's time for him to retire :twisted: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “General Running Discussion”