Foolish Friday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 am

15K with 15x30s strides while testing my next pair of racing shoes.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:03 am

100 minute walk to/through/from the dog park today... "ran" for a few minutes in the middle (if you can call it running... more like loping...). It actually didn't feel bad but after a few minutes started to hurt again so I went back to walking. :( this is taking longer to heal than my stress fracture...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ABXF
Tom Longboat

Postby ABXF » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:36 am

Yesterday I rode the mtb from downtown Ottawa to Carleton Place and back via the rec paths and rail trail, a distance of 116 km (with a few extra bits) in 5:30 including 25 minutes of stops. The intensity was low with the HR usually 105-115 but I figure this does something for secondary muscles, pedaling form and maybe some aspects of endurance. I included some one-legged pedaling, steering with forearms and other drills. I didn't have much motivation to push the effort on the way out with the uncertainty of the long way ahead and a headwind, and found more motivation on the way back with more people out to catch and the desire to get home. The tunnel under 417 1 km west of Moodie is closed but some hoodlum informed me it is possible to get through if you are capable of reading signs and understanding standard risks of construction sites and crossing railway tracks.

Maybe some easy stuff at the gym today, or is it time for a run along the Canal path?

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:40 am

QuickChick wrote:20 minutes easy this morning, and another short easy run later on today. I am going to be over 80km this week after my long run tomorrow! :shock:

After my 10k today after work I will have hit 82km for the week :shock: :D Maybe that is why my knee is a bit sore :) Long run is this Sunday and then taper time!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 pm

I have exercise plans for this evening...let's just leave it at that. And some Vitamin G.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Did a 13k run this morning with my "old" running group, the guys that first got me interested in upping my speed. It is kind of funny that as I've gotten faster, my normal runs have slowed down: they go as fast as ever on their easy runs but haven't really gotten any faster in races.

Still a great group of guys to run with, and it is addictive clipping along feeling fast, bantering the whole way 8) Nice morning for a run, too. :D

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 pm

I did an open water swim on Lake Huron this morning, what a great way to start the day. It was choppy (white caps!) and a bit chilly but nothing a post-swim coffee couldn't solve. Did I mention that I LOVE the cottage!! :D
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 pm

2 naps and an 8 hours sleep last night... and I still feel exhausted. I wonder if I am coming down with something.

I'm trying to garner enough energy for a run and a BBQ dinner with a friend tonight.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:19 pm

Missed my run today. Bad
Drinking beer at work. Good
Came across something that confused me, because I don't know why it happened. Bad
Long weekend. Good

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm

I imploded on my 7k run this afternoon. I'm not sure what happened, but it was a combination of heat, humidity and being stuffed up with allergies.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:03 pm

Run26.2 wrote:Rest day today....picking up race kits for my 5km race tomorrow and my daughters "surf n' turf" race ( 50m swim and 500m run)......have a great start to the weekend everyone!

Race kits picked up...lots of reading material in the goodie bag including the latest iRun mag....great articles by a couple of maniacs and a pic of Hula Girl on the inside....

The beach was closed so who knows if they'll be swimming on Saturday morning.....
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Sorry to hear about all your soreness Pat :cry: I like your new pic though
:D

I cycled into town today to get my driver's license renewed (which I think is kind of ironic :lol: ) - 55km round trip. That was pre-empted by taking my mother to have blood taken and grocery shopping. And was followed by doing my own grocery shopping and making dinner for the dam fam :D

Finally sunny today and we can actually sit outside :D Was busy at the beach when I rode by :lol:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm excited to report today is a rest day! The heat has been tripping me up lately, haven't had to deal with it so far this summer... I'll adapt soon enough :)

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Dani wrote:Drinking beer at work. Good

Accepting applications?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm

hmm...wonder if it's too hot for a ride on my mtb this afternoon??? If it is then I'll do my workout (strength) dvd and core. :roll:

then heading south tonight!! yippee!!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

After 20 minutes this morning, I had a lovely run along the Lakeshore this aft! I did 6K in 31:54... probably a bit too fast, but I had cut the distance down from what I was originally supposed to do. Also, it's pretty much impossible to run slowly to "smack my b*tch up". :lol: We're off to see "Funny People" tonight and can't wait!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:08 pm

10km easy tonight. Now, I am ready for a beer.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 pm

lisaannr wrote:hmm...wonder if it's too hot for a ride on my mtb this afternoon??? If it is then I'll do my workout (strength) dvd and core. :roll:

Decided I felt like going for a run on the TM, yeah...I'm not sure what got into me either. ;) Followed it up with an intense core workout. Ahhh... ready to start the weekend now!!!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:04 pm

lisaannr wrote:
lisaannr wrote:hmm...wonder if it's too hot for a ride on my mtb this afternoon??? If it is then I'll do my workout (strength) dvd and core. :roll:

Decided I felt like going for a run on the TM, yeah...I'm not sure what got into me either. ;) Followed it up with an intense core workout. Ahhh... ready to start the weekend now!!!

Air conditioning ?! ;-)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:02 pm

trixiee wrote:Did a 4.8K run/walk to test the foot. It sucked. :( Now I'm getting worried. The chiro also adjusted my hip yesterday, and it's aching like crazy too! I just don't have enough ice packs to cover off all the sore areas - foot, shin, piriformis, hip.... I could just cry. Eveything was going so well too!

Hugs Pat! I so feel your pain. Literally. Ok, maybe not in so many places, but I definitely feel your frustration!!!!!! Get better. SOON!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:36 pm

While driving home this evening after my shift at the RR, almost hit a little doggie, who was not on a leash and was running away from it's human friend, I suspect ... in and around traffic .. traffic had stopped on the oncoming side, and the doggie was running right at me, with his human running right behind him/her :shock: :shock: good thing I was only driving about 40kpm (speed limit near a school zone), as I might have and thought I had, hit the little guy, before I hit the brakes and stopped the car ... :shock: :shock: also, glad that the truck behind me was not tailgating or he would have rear-ended me ... :shock: :?

Luckily, everyone was ok, but, it could have been an ugly mess ... Still shaking me nerves and wondering why the owner did not have the doggie on a leash .. :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm

0-0 game tonight and my AT survived. I ended up playing a good 60+ minutes of the game but my running was limited.....I even got to play center mid instead of defence so that was fun.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “General Running Discussion”