'this that time of the year (again)

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

LadyV
Bill Crothers

'this that time of the year (again)

Postby LadyV » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

check this out
nothing new, but this looks like racers vs plodders is being discussed in the 'mainstream media'
there was an article in La Presse this morning, refering to this http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sport ... =2&_r=2&em
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: 'this that time of the year (again)

Postby seuss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm

hope i never meet her:

Longtime marathoners like Julia Given, a 46-year-old marketing director from Charlottesville, Va., still find ways to differentiate the “serious runners” from those at the back of the pack.

“If you’re wearing a marathon T-shirt, that doesn’t mean much anymore,” Given said on the eve of this month’s Baltimore Marathon, where vendors were selling products that celebrate slower runners. One sticker said: “I’m slow. I know. Get over it.”

“I always ask those people, ‘What was your time?’ If it’s six hours or more, I say, ‘Oh great, that’s fine, but you didn’t really run it,’ ” said Given, who finished the Baltimore race in 4:05:52. “The mystique of the marathon still exists. It’s the mystique of the fast marathon.”

as if the shirt was really the hallmark of her marathon performance...

what exactly about my 6:22 marathon takes away from her 4:05 one? does she honestly think that i am fooling myself into believing i can run as fast as she can?

i have to say nothing ever looked better than mr seuss heading out in his RVM MARATHON jacket. he probably got more joy out of completing a marathon than she ever will.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:35 pm

lol, like her 4:05 is a blistering pace!

I don't understand why people need to be that way.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 pm

ultraslacker wrote:lol, like her 4:05 is a blistering pace!

well, if we wanted to round it to the nearest minute it would be 4:06, but i wanted to be generous.

it just seems so different from any runner i have ever met who is happy to encourage another runner, no matter what ability.
2010 - gone viral?

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Because there are wonderful :roll: people who feel the need to make their own accomplishments seem better by putting other peoples accomplishments down.

Now, if she had run under 4:00 then she can talk. Our very own QuickChick (amongst other RM ladies) can beat her hiney any day! ;)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I think I would love to have a conversation with her. I happen to like all my shirts.. enev the dnf/dns ones :D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 pm

MINI-T wrote:

Because there are wonderful :roll: people who feel the need to make their own accomplishments seem better by putting other peoples accomplishments down.

Now, if she had run under 4:00 then she can talk. Our very own QuickChick (amongst other RM ladies) can beat her hiney any day! ;)

the vindictive side of me hopes that someday (soon) a sub-3 marathoner tells Ms. Given that she is too slow to be a marathoner.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
MINI-T wrote:

the vindictive side of me hopes that someday (soon) a sub-3 marathoner tells Ms. Given that she is too slow to be a marathoner.

well she didn't REALLY run you know... :roll:
2010 - gone viral?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:59 pm

seuss wrote:hope i never meet her:

Longtime marathoners like Julia Given, a 46-year-old marketing director from Charlottesville, Va., still find ways to differentiate the “serious runners” from those at the back of the pack.

“If you’re wearing a marathon T-shirt, that doesn’t mean much anymore,” Given said on the eve of this month’s Baltimore Marathon, where vendors were selling products that celebrate slower runners. One sticker said: “I’m slow. I know. Get over it.”

“I always ask those people, ‘What was your time?’ If it’s six hours or more, I say, ‘Oh great, that’s fine, but you didn’t really run it,’ ” said Given, who finished the Baltimore race in 4:05:52. “The mystique of the marathon still exists. It’s the mystique of the fast marathon.”

what exactly about my 6:22 marathon takes away from her 4:05 one? does she honestly think that i am fooling myself into believing i can run as fast as she can?

i have to say nothing ever looked better than mr seuss heading out in his RVM MARATHON jacket. he probably got more joy out of completing a marathon than she ever will.

People like this woman make my blood boil - how dare she deem another person as 'unworthy' just because they are slow. I am darn proud of my 5:49 marathon!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:03 pm

seuss wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
MINI-T wrote:

well she didn't REALLY run you know... :roll:

she probably took *gasp* walk breaks too!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Irongirl wrote:
she probably took *gasp* walk breaks too!

And wore an iPod
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:15 pm

And it's not even a BQ time.....so, how can she be "fast"? But, who really cares, anyway.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 pm

The odd thing is that it's not the elites that seem to care about the slower marathoners. It's the "sort-of fast" people. 4:05 is not fast (and yes, that's almost exactly my time, too). Then again, not all 3 or 4-hour marathoners are elitist, either.

I'm not sure why people think that the slower marathoners somehow cheapens their experience. Some people will even say that you didn't "run" a marathon if you took walk breaks even if you finished faster than someone who ran every step. All these people need to get over themselves.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:35 pm

There was also a thread in Letsrun about this:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=3269100

Some of the faster guys there agree with the article, but the best (sarcastic) reply was:

It is time to separate out the real marathon from the rest. The marathon should be defined as having a maximum finishing time of 3:59.59 for men, 4:29.59 for women. After 4 and 4:30, you are not allowed to finish. Armed guards are dispatched to the finish line. Medals go to age group top 3. You must finish to get any free marathon gear, even the free goody bag from sponsors.

For those who can't run a marathon, we will create the "Spirit Life Opportunity Wonderful Achievment in Superior Sportsmanship Run". No time limit. The distance will be 26.3, so everyone can think they are superior to those running the real marathon because they went a smidge further. There results will be graded for BMI (fatter runners will be given a time reduction over skinny runners). There will be buffets and picnic tables along the race course to maximize fueling. And you get your medal at the start, because being brave enough to start the run is what it is all about.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:41 pm

oooh - SLOWASS perfect! - that's me! let see, i could get a cupcake company and a potato chip company to sponsor me...who else? maybe la-z-boy?
2010 - gone viral?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44 pm

seuss wrote:oooh - SLOWASS perfect! - that's me! let see, i could get a cupcake company and a potato chip company to sponsor me...who else? maybe la-z-boy?

I didn't even get the acronym. :)

This guy is being tongue-in-cheek, though. There are others who actually would support what he's saying.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Jwolf wrote:
seuss wrote:oooh - SLOWASS perfect! - that's me! let see, i could get a cupcake company and a potato chip company to sponsor me...who else? maybe la-z-boy?

I didn't even get the acronym. :)

This guy is being tongue-in-cheek, though. There are others who actually would support what he's saying.

i am reading that thread now. very um, entertaining.
2010 - gone viral?

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 am

Come on... chill that blood out... there will always be people faster, and always (probably) people slower than all of us. 4:05 is not that fast... probably not even in the top half. She's just got a chip on her shoulder and too big of an ego. Who really cares... it's so not worth getting upset over. That's probably what she's looking for- to start a big knock-down-drag-em-out debate in which runners, mostly slower runners, get all pissed off. Notice most of the fastest people on RM haven't said anything. Instead of getting all mad, get out and run, and run your best. You won't win your next race probably, but you know what- neither will she!! :roll:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 am

When I read the article I thought "ho hum another non story". So, a few people feel that slower runners don't belong? So what, it's not news. Who cares what they think. I'm slow, but I don't run for others, I run for me.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 am

Nick wrote:And it's not even a BQ time.....

That's the first thing I thought!
Jwolf wrote:The odd thing is that it's not the elites that seem to care about the slower marathoners. It's the "sort-of fast" people. 4:05 is not fast (and yes, that's almost exactly my time, too). Then again, not all 3 or 4-hour marathoners are elitist, either.

I'm not sure why people think that the slower marathoners somehow cheapens their experience. Some people will even say that you didn't "run" a marathon if you took walk breaks even if you finished faster than someone who ran every step. All these people need to get over themselves.

The odd thing is that it's not the elites that seem to care about the slower marathoners. It's the "sort-of fast" people. 4:05 is not fast (and yes, that's almost exactly my time, too). Then again, not all 3 or 4-hour marathoners are elitist, either.

+1

Whatever. :roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 am

Jwolf wrote:There was also a thread in Letsrun about this:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=3269100

Some of the faster guys there agree with the article, but the best (sarcastic) reply was:

.... And you get your medal at the start, because being brave enough to start the run is what it is all about.

I LOVE this part of that response. AWESOME! :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 am

Probably just another newspaper writer/columnist looking to get a raise from their Editors ... by increasing the readership of what they write ... blah blah blah ...

:?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:56 am

The article wrote:Runners in the Honolulu Marathon have no limits. Race rules state, “All runners will be permitted to finish, regardless of their time.”

Last year, 44 percent of the field for that event finished in more than six hours — with some marathoners stopping for lunch along the course.

Um, I think I'd draw the line at the "stopping for lunch along the course" part. For me, the differentiator is whether someone continued moving forward (except for potty breaks, water stations, stopping to stretch, etc.).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 am

La wrote:Um, I think I'd draw the line at the "stopping for lunch along the course" part.

Elitist!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:12 am

dgrant wrote:
La wrote:Um, I think I'd draw the line at the "stopping for lunch along the course" part.

Elitist!

ultrarunners do it. :)

Seems to me ShinSplints has done it too!

Return to “General Running Discussion”