Hi, I am new!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Marci
Percy Williams

Hi, I am new!

Postby Marci » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi. I have been lurking around here for a few weeks and I thought I would introduce myself!

I am 26 and have just started to take up running. I completed the C25K program and did my first 5K in October (Run for the Cure). I have since started the One Hour Runner program with plans of running a 10 K in the new year some time.

I have a question- How long is reasonable to train for a half marathon?

Also what do most of you drink during long runs? Right now I am only running 30 min at a time so when i am done I have some powerade. As my runs get longer should I be drinking this during my run?

Thanks!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Hi, I am new!

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Welcome here. :)

Everyone is different for how long it takes to work up to a half-marathon, but if you are already doing 5k then I think it's reasonable that you could do one in spring/summer if that's what you want. You are in Ontario, so maybe NCM in May? (There are lots of others if not!)

As for your other question, I personally do just water up to about 2 hours, but if my run is going to be longer than that I will take gels with water. Occasionally gatorade, but not usually.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Welcome to RM!

I think your question re training for a HalfM will bring a lot of different responses. I was running for just under a year and a half before I did my first HalfM....BUT...I was a lot older than you. I did my first HalfM at age 51.

During my long runs I drink water. If I'm running for for an hour and a half or more I'll take a gel..or perhaps two. Depending on the length of the run.

In the summer I often switch to E-Load.

Just curious...what is the One Hour Runner program?
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Welcome from the East Coast!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Welcome! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Marci
Percy Williams

Postby Marci » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Welcome to RM!

I think your question re training for a HalfM will bring a lot of different responses. I was running for just under a year and a half before I did my first HalfM....BUT...I was a lot older than you. I did my first HalfM at age 51.

During my long runs I drink water. If I'm running for for an hour and a half or more I'll take a gel..or perhaps two. Depending on the length of the run.

In the summer I often switch to E-Load.

Just curious...what is the One Hour Runner program?

Another question- what are "gels"?

This is the one hour runner program- kinda takes off from where C25K stops.

http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

Tomorrow starts week 2 for me

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Ultraslacker- what is NCM?
Run for the Cure- 5K- October 09

Working towards Disney Half Marathon in 2011

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Welcome, Marci. I did the couch-to-5k program when I re-started running as well. I've heard good things about the one hour runner program as well. Everyone takes different amounts of times to build to a half marathon, if that is what they choose to do. Next year in the spring or fall is probably a reasonable goal for you, depending on your background and general fitness. I see in your race that you have a 2011 target race - that would be doable for sure.

NCM is National Capital Marathon - the Ottawa Race Weekend.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:01 pm

gels are like gatorade but concentrated into little packets, like this:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 0147543799

You can stick a bunch in a pocket for really long runs and take them with water. Many long races also provide them on the course.

NCM: http://www.ncm.ca :)

It's a pretty popular race for our Ontario members!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Wow, you are new! ;)

There are a ton of acronyms, don't worry though, when you need them you'll know them.

NCM is National Captial Marathon, in Ottawa, its the big spring Marathon in Eastern Ontario.

Gels are essentially little packets of liquid sugar, plus some sodium and whatnot, when you start going more than 10km like 16ish, these little babies will give the energy you need to finish stronger and recover faster. Most running stores carry them.

Welcome here.

As for half marathon, I trained for 12 weeks for my first half, which was my first race ever. In hindsight it was a mistake, I should've done a 10km race first, then built off of that . Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Welcome here.

A gel is a small package of what is essentially sugar paste that you use for energy. They serve the same purpose as sport drinks. Use one or the other, not both. Other choices are ShotBlocks and Sharkies.

I will carry water for runs more than an hour and sport drinks once I hit an hour and a half. When the weather gets cooler, I am a bit more slack on the water. :shifty:

For recovery you usually want more protein than what is in a sport drink. If you are eating a meal within 45 minutes of your run, or for 30 minute runs, you probably don't need to worry about it although it is a good habit to be thinking about it. Once your runs get over an hour, something like a cup of chocolate milk or hot chocolate (low fat, no whipped cream of course) makes an excellent recovery drink.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Ironboy wrote:As for half marathon, I trained for 12 weeks for my first half, which was my first race ever. In hindsight it was a mistake, I should've done a 10km race first, then built off of that . Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20!

And just to demonstrate how everyone is different, my first race was also a halfM and I have never regretted that or thought that I should have done a shorter race first. :)

Marci
Percy Williams

Postby Marci » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:11 pm

BJH wrote:Welcome here.

A gel is a small package of what is essentially sugar paste that you use for energy. They serve the same purpose as sport drinks. Use one or the other, not both. Other choices are ShotBlocks and Sharkies.

I will carry water for runs more than an hour and sport drinks once I hit an hour and a half. When the weather gets cooler, I am a bit more slack on the water. :shifty:

For recovery you usually want more protein than what is in a sport drink. If you are eating a meal within 45 minutes of your run, or for 30 minute runs, you probably don't need to worry about it although it is a good habit to be thinking about it. Once your runs get over an hour, something like a cup of chocolate milk or hot chocolate (low fat, no whipped cream of course) makes an excellent recovery drink.

wow you guys are ALL so helpful- Thank you!!!

Ok so gels- do they taste as awful as they sound?

And just to make sure I am correct- it is either water and gels, or sports drink- but NOT sports drink and gels?

Another "newbie" question- what are Shotblocks and Sharkies.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:15 pm

shot blocks and sharkies are like the solid version of the same thing (chewy like gummy candy). I personally don't like them because chewing is too much work while I'm running. :)

gels are YUMMY if you get the right ones. I first tried Power Gels and they were nasty; they have the texture of toothpaste. Now I use carbboom or clif shots. They're sweet and gooey. But everyone likes different ones so it's worthwhile to try a few.

And yes, you are supposed to do water/gels OR sport drink because the gels need to be diluted and the theory is that if you dilute them with sports drink then they aren't diluted enough.

eta: I should add that some people do take sports drink with gels and it's fine. Everyone is different so you have to experiment with what works for you. :)

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:20 pm

The gels are flavoured. Sharkies and ShotBlocks are kind of like gummy bears. Heck Gummy Bears would probably work find at the half marathon distance.

And just to make sure I am correct- it is either water and gels, or sports drink- but NOT sports drink and gels?

There is a whole lot of theory about optimal solutions for the carb-water mix (6%-8%). Basically you can't digest it at a stronger solution, so you are making expensive pee. It may or may not upset your stomach.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Marci
Percy Williams

Postby Marci » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:10 pm

BJH wrote:The gels are flavoured. Sharkies and ShotBlocks are kind of like gummy bears. Heck Gummy Bears would probably work find at the half marathon distance.

There is a whole lot of theory about optimal solutions for the carb-water mix (6%-8%). Basically you can't digest it at a stronger solution, so you are making expensive pee. It may or may not upset your stomach.

ooo I am learning SO much :) Thanks everyone. Now I just gotta build up my endurance so I can actually use this info :)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Welcome Marci! Where in Ontario are you? I suggest you hook up with a group- it'll help you be consistent over the winter, and the social aspect is invaluable. I always have the best runs with our "run-pub" group out of the beach running room- I try to stick with people who are just a bit faster than me and it always pushes me. I also suggest you aim for consistent running and for the "addiction" factor to kick in before thinking about a half marathon. While I definitely think you could do it if you are already running 5-10km, if you can build yourself up so you're able to run for a half hour or so 5 days a week, I would wager that you will be stronger and less injury prone. Then after a few months of that, with a few longer runs thrown in where you feel comfortable (maybe up to an hour), your body will be strong, adapted to running, and a half marathon will be a very logical next step. Oh, and I also suggest you pick up the book "chi running" (see our thread about it in the Training section). It's excellent, an easy read- it's basically about how to run efficiently so you're putting less stress on your body. I wish I had read it when I first started running, as it was quite hard to change my running form after several years of running with poor form.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Marci wrote:

wow you guys are ALL so helpful- Thank you!!!

:D See Marci, I told you this was a great place!

I'm glad to see that you found your way here.
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:35 am

SusanD wrote::D See Marci, I told you this was a great place!

I'm glad to see that you found your way here.

:shock:

:shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Do my eyes deceive me?

Can it be?

Nah! Must be my imagination.

Though it was posted at midnight, so the timing's about right.

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:48 am

jgore wrote:
Do my eyes deceive me?

:lol: Still around. Still running. Still working late hours. Same game!

I just slipped in here for a moment ... now back to Marci's thread... :)
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 am

BJH wrote:Sharkies and ShotBlocks are kind of like gummy bears.

Salty, sweaty little bears.

(I use shotblocks when I'm racing. I eat the sharkies that come free in race kits but I think they're disgusting).

Welcome Marci!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:
BJH wrote:Sharkies and ShotBlocks are kind of like gummy bears.

Salty, sweaty little bears.

(I use shotblocks when I'm racing. I eat the sharkies that come free in race kits but I think they're disgusting).

Welcome Marci!

Oh yes, welcome Marci.

You'll find Turd is rather reticent to voice his opinion, but occasionally, with some coaxing, he speaks up.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:16 am

Really, though, I don't think you really need food on the run till you're going a couple hours or so. I bring food for anything more than 2.5 hours. I would bring water for anything over an hour, unless it's hot out and then I might bring it anyway, and I switch to bringing gatorade when I go about 2 hours. I see new runners all the time with huge fuel belts who are being told to bring gatorade for 5K - 10K runs, and really it's NOT necessary!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hello from Montreal!!!
Sorry, I meant to say "Bonjour!"
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:37 am

Welcome here ... Have you been served your glass of orange kool-aid yet ?? :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 pm

QuickChick wrote: I see new runners all the time with huge fuel belts who are being told to bring gatorade for 5K - 10K runs, and really it's NOT necessary!

that's so the RR can sell more fuel belts and gels. :P get them hooked early!

Return to “General Running Discussion”