Is the Whole Planet Overweight?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Re: Is the Whole Planet Overweight?

Postby Strider » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

La wrote:One measurement that's being used quite often as a determiner of health is waist circumferance: ideally, it should not be more than twice your height.

I think you mean half your height, or twice your waist circumference shouldn't be more than your height. ;)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Wingfoot wrote:
La wrote:One measurement that's being used quite often as a determiner of health is waist circumferance: ideally, it should not be more than twice your height.

I think you mean half your height, or twice your waist circumference shouldn't be more than your height. ;)

Yes, that's what I meant. :shifty:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:45 pm

run4life wrote:As a teacher I have noticed how much heavier students are than when I started teaching 20 years ago. The bigger kids don't stand out the way they used to because there are more of them. In my class of 30 6th graders there are 7 who are carrying more weight than is healthy.

I see what they eat for lunch, it's horrific.

I have them do a 5 minute run in PE, the goal being to keep moving for those five minutes. It's shocking how many CHILDREN cannot do it. They are kids, they should be able to be physically active for 5 minutes without feeling like they can't breathe. It's worrying.

my mom has commented on that as well - she's not a teacher, but is a librarian at the same school that I went to growing up. She comments about the lunches, the volume of processed food, etc. and the sizes of these kids.

I started Kindergarten in 1980 and I was the biggest kid in class. I was the fat kid. I was the ONLY fat kid until about grade 9 when the neighboring town's school closed and those kids were bussed to ours. I guess I wouldn't have been the only fat kid now.

and trust me - being the only fat kid did suck - not all the time, but a good chunk of the time. But, thankfully my parents didn't make it an issue for me - what I lacked in athletics, I made up for in studying. it wasn't until I was living on my own and out of post secondary that I decided to make a change in lifestyle.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 pm

CinC wrote:my mom has commented on that as well - she's not a teacher, but is a librarian at the same school that I went to growing up. She comments about the lunches, the volume of processed food, etc. and the sizes of these kids.

I started Kindergarten in 1980 and I was the biggest kid in class. I was the fat kid. I was the ONLY fat kid until about grade 9 when the neighboring town's school closed and those kids were bussed to ours. I guess I wouldn't have been the only fat kid now.

and trust me - being the only fat kid did suck - not all the time, but a good chunk of the time. But, thankfully my parents didn't make it an issue for me - what I lacked in athletics, I made up for in studying. it wasn't until I was living on my own and out of post secondary that I decided to make a change in lifestyle.

You've probably achieved more athletically than everyone in your class put together. Funny how life works out.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

CinC wrote:
run4life wrote:As a teacher I have noticed how much heavier students are than when I started teaching 20 years ago. The bigger kids don't stand out the way they used to because there are more of them. In my class of 30 6th graders there are 7 who are carrying more weight than is healthy.

I see what they eat for lunch, it's horrific.

I have them do a 5 minute run in PE, the goal being to keep moving for those five minutes. It's shocking how many CHILDREN cannot do it. They are kids, they should be able to be physically active for 5 minutes without feeling like they can't breathe. It's worrying.

my mom has commented on that as well - she's not a teacher, but is a librarian at the same school that I went to growing up. She comments about the lunches, the volume of processed food, etc. and the sizes of these kids.

I guess that I am fortunate - my son actually enjoys fruits and veggies.

His lunch usually has celery, cucumber, carrots and some kind of fruit (yes, all four). His 'treats' are usually a pudding cup and a cookie/couple two bite brownies. He also gets a sandwich/wrap and a bottle of flavoured water. He is almost 16, so it is not like he doesn't know that there are different options/junk out there.

Maybe it is because he normally eats like this (rarely buys lunch, we don't eat a lot of take out) and has always been active is the reason that I was so shocked when I went down to Florida and saw obese parents leading their obese kids around to see Mickey and Minnie.

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Darth Tater wrote:Image

It's obvious what type of clientel they are trying to appeal to
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:06 pm

La wrote:Back in late '99 (I was just starting my running lifestyle at that point) I went to see a surgeon. She asked me how much I weighed and I told her (210 at the time). She was actually quite shocked - she said I didn't "look" like I weighed that much. Being a medical professional, I knew she wasn't saying that just to flatter me. But it's a good example of how how a person looks and what their actual weight is aren't always in synch.

This happens to me all the time. People usually underestimate my weight by 25-30 lb.

Just because I carry it well doesn't mean it should be there. :? But my doctor cares more about my cholesterol, thyroid and blood sugar numbers than he does about a few (right now, several fews!) extra pounds.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

opcougar wrote:It's obvious what type of clientel they are trying to appeal to

Men who aren't blind?

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

Men who aren't blind?

I was going to say "men," but I appreciate the qualifier.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:07 pm

spirit flower wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

Men who aren't blind?

I was going to say "men," but I appreciate the qualifier.

Nope....certain kind of men that can't pull those kind of girls in a different setting, that their only way to get close to one, is to visit that kind of establishment.

In otherwords, the kind of guys that go to stripclubs
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:35 pm

turd ferguson wrote:But we see ourselves differently than our doctors (or the general public, who I like to call "Normals" or "Norms") see us.

My doctor looks at me and asks "is this person too fat to be healthy" and the answer is "no".

I look at myself and ask "am I too fat to run a 2:55 marathon" and the answer is "yes".

So its really a different question.

But even for people that are out of reasonable BMI ranges (my father is actually borderline obese on those scales), the perception of "normal" and "healthy" is skewed. Even in the eyes of doctors, which to me is scary. My sister herself is overweight (she's about 5'3" and over 150) and doesn't seem to think there's any issue because she sees herself as "normal" (she hasn't always been overweight, and managed to get down to about 120 for her wedding back in 2002).

She sees me and practically yells at me for being "too thin" which is ridiculous.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Anyone see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? The mayor IS NA society.... And the portions keep getting larger...

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Here's a public service announcement that hopefully will be some help to those of you struggling with this issue (Dave). Its bad to be fat.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:But we see ourselves differently than our doctors (or the general public, who I like to call "Normals" or "Norms") see us.

My doctor looks at me and asks "is this person too fat to be healthy" and the answer is "no".

I look at myself and ask "am I too fat to run a 2:55 marathon" and the answer is "yes".

So its really a different question.

But even for people that are out of reasonable BMI ranges (my father is actually borderline obese on those scales), the perception of "normal" and "healthy" is skewed. Even in the eyes of doctors, which to me is scary. My sister herself is overweight (she's about 5'3" and over 150) and doesn't seem to think there's any issue because she sees herself as "normal" (she hasn't always been overweight, and managed to get down to about 120 for her wedding back in 2002).

She sees me and practically yells at me for being "too thin" which is ridiculous.

Yeah...I kinda wondered how your sister would feel about your body size...given she thinks 150 for 5'3" is normal.
I don't think you're overweight...but I wouldn't put you in the class of "too thin"
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:33 pm

If you want to see more on the Heart Attach Grill, here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTKysI59HAw&NR=1

and you wonder why Americans are fat...
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:59 pm

ChrisL wrote:If you want to see more on the Heart Attach Grill, here is a video.

Thanks Chris.
I watched the Video.....and I felt sad.

I dunno...maybe I'm a "poor sport" ...but celebrating unhealthy eating isn't something I find uplifting.

Chris...I know you're not supporting this way of eating either..so my comment is not directed at you posting this link. Hey...hope to see you during the NCM weekend :D :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
ChrisL wrote:If you want to see more on the Heart Attach Grill, here is a video.

Thanks Chris.

I dunno...maybe I'm a "poor sport" ...but celebrating unhealthy eating isn't something I find uplifting.

The video didn't bother me. I think its inaccurate, and I'll tell you why.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with the occasional splurge to keep you sane.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think most people get fat from going to places like the Heart Attack Grill or Fogo de Chao. Those are "sometimes" foods, as the cookie monster would say.

Most people who get fat (imho) get fat a little bit at a time. Too much sugary pop, too big a serving size, too much dessert, evening snack, that sort of thing.

Nothing that makes for a dramatic video - just incrementally fatter.

And the thing is that there's not GIANT ENORMOUS bad decision they can point to, just a series of small slightly wrong decisions.

If it were as easy as "don't go to Heart Attack Grill", it would be easy. Its a series of small undramatic decisions day after day.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:56 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Thanks Chris.

The video didn't bother me. I think its inaccurate, and I'll tell you why.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with the occasional splurge to keep you sane.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think most people get fat from going to places like the Heart Attack Grill or Fogo de Chao. Those are "sometimes" foods, as the cookie monster would say.

Most people who get fat (imho) get fat a little bit at a time. Too much sugary pop, too big a serving size, too much dessert, evening snack, that sort of thing.

Nothing that makes for a dramatic video - just incrementally fatter.

And the thing is that there's not GIANT ENORMOUS bad decision they can point to, just a series of small slightly wrong decisions.

If it were as easy as "don't go to Heart Attack Grill", it would be easy. Its a series of small undramatic decisions day after day.

I agree with your points Mike...but I still feel sad.
And I'm entitled to feel sad...actually...many Maniacs would prefer me feeling sad...to crabby :lol: :lol: :wink:

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:

Thanks Chris.

Chris...I know you're not supporting this way of eating either..so my comment is not directed at you posting this link. Hey...hope to see you during the NCM weekend :D :D

I certainly not supporting this, although I am not a strident critic; I like a hamburger and fries once in a while. But I agree with you; I also felt sad watching this...people who do not care about their health and even make it worst.

This phenomenon is becoming interesting; in general you should have a bell curve; but not anymore. Either you are fit and trim, or obese; there seems to be no middle ground.

As far as the restaurant, if you can't win them with good food, go for the shock value. In the land where bigger is better, the size of portions is not doing any favour to a whole strata of the population.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm not saying it doesn't make me sad, I guess, what I'm saying is that its not the reason people are fat.

People enjoying a big meal doesn't make me that sad - in fact, it bugs me that so many people feel guilty about a good meal. What makes me sad is a six year old kid getting a 1.9 litre Coke big gulp at 7-11.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:20 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't make me sad, I guess, what I'm saying is that its not the reason people are fat.

People enjoying a big meal doesn't make me that sad - in fact, it bugs me that so many people feel guilty about a good meal. What makes me sad is a six year old kid getting a 1.9 litre Coke big gulp at 7-11.

Agree...it's not the reason people are fat.
And trust me...I enjoy the occasional Harvey's Combo...yep...Angus Burger with Onion Rings = Yummy :D :D

Umm...what is a "big gulp" :?

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I'm not saying it doesn't make me sad, I guess, what I'm saying is that its not the reason people are fat.

Agree...it's not the reason people are fat.
And trust me...I enjoy the occasional Harvey's Combo...yep...Angus Burger with Onion Rings = Yummy :D :D

Umm...what is a "big gulp" :?

Just the cup that the serve the fountain drinks in. Picture a two liter popbottle.

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 am

Last summer when driving south to our camp site in Washington State we would stop at Walmart for groceries, this was typically around 10-11pm at night. I was almost always the "skinny" shopper and the only one buying produce. I was really shocked by what people were buying and what you can find in the freezer section there, it was crazy. There's frozen EVERYTHING no need to cook anything just buy it frozen and zap it in the microwave. Very sad.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:20 pm

La wrote:
One measurement that's being used quite often as a determiner of health is waist circumferance: ideally, it should not be more than twice your height.

I think you mean half your height, or twice your waist circumference shouldn't be more than your height.

Oh oh. :oops: Time to see Jenny Craig. :shock: :oops: :help:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:01 pm

One measurement that's being used quite often as a determiner of health is waist circumferance: ideally, it should not be more than twice your height.

I sincerely hope that anyone using this as their guideline has access to some alien-technology anti-gravity belts.
(I'm thinking Baron Harkonen.)

Return to “General Running Discussion”