Boston Marathon Start Procedure?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Boston Marathon Start Procedure?

Postby RayMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Can any veterans share their experiences with the hours leading up to race start? I was speaking with Jackie at ATB and realized how little I am prepared for the wee hours before Wave #1 takes off.

1. Are we allowed to drive directly to the starting area and get dropped off, or do we have to take the bus?

2. How many hours are we stuck milling around before the race starts?

3. Where can we warm up?

4. Where can we sleep / eat / rest / stretch?

TAPER MADNESS is setting in! Phantom pains! Dreamlike state!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Boston Marathon Start Procedure?

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

RayMan wrote:Can any veterans share their experiences with the hours leading up to race start? I was speaking with Jackie at ATB and realized how little I am prepared for the wee hours before Wave #1 takes off.

1. Are we allowed to drive directly to the starting area and get dropped off, or do we have to take the bus?

3. Where can we warm up?

1. I took the bus so can't comment on driving. Hmm...did Robbie-T and Doonst drive to start :?: I didn't mind the bus ride...my seat mate was an IM age grouper from California. She had forgotten to bring any snacks or water/juice but I had plenty to share. Nice visit.
2. I actually don't recall...but it really didn't feel totally terrible. Mind you weather conditions were warm the day I ran so no hanging around in the cold.
3. There is a large tent/canopy "thingie". Make sure to bring something to sit on...i.e. garbage bag. Also bring some throw away clothes. Also...line up for portapotties well in advance. And yes....peeing on people's lawns and in the bushes near the start line...bad!! They are starting to take action about this...there were several announcements about this on the PA system in 2008 when I ran.

Yep...you're totally on track. I was lucky...a mad dog attack on April 6/2008 kinda helped me with my taper madness...I was just relieved I was still alive...my taper kinda took care of itself :lol: :lol: :wink:

ETA: You are going to love this event...there's magic there :D :D
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

We did drive to near the start, about 3-4 K out. There is parking at a State Park and shuttles in from there. The roads were closed from here in and there was no waiting in line, as soon as a bus filled it went. Very easy going, no traffic jams either. We were at the Atlhete's village for about 1 1/2 hours before the first wave went. Robbie has some pictures posted, start at number 75. http://robbie-t.kicks-ass.org/2008-04-Boston_Marathon/Jody_Pictures/
I want to drive to Hopkinton on race day morning. Where can I park?

Parking in Hopkinton is extremely limited, no on-street parking will be allowed in Hopkinton, and roads into Hopkinton close at 7:30 a.m.

Limited parking is available at the South Street lot and at the Hopkinton State Park on Route 85. Once these lots are full, drop-off only will be allowed at the entrance of the Hopkinton State Park. No drop-off will be allowed near the entrance of the South Street lot at the base of the Exit 21A off of Route 495. Expect delays! Follow police directions and do not park illegally!

Is there transportation from Boston to Hopkinton after the race?

Limited transportation will be available from Boston to Hopkinton. You must show your bib number to board the buses, no transportation is available for family or friends.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:31 pm

RayMan wrote:Can any veterans share their experiences with the hours leading up to race start? I was speaking with Jackie at ATB and realized how little I am prepared for the wee hours before Wave #1 takes off.

3. Where can we warm up?

1. Best to use the bus; not only does it relieve you of the possible stress of navigating traffic jams near Hopkinton but it is part of the Boston experience. Just don't start hydrating until you're off the bus.

2. Depending on your loading time, you'll be in Hopkinton for 1-3 hours.

3. If by "warm up" you mean "go inside", there's nothing other than the tents. If you're referring to getting loose right before the race, it's about a half kilometer trek from the village to the starting corrals.

4. Bring lots of food, clothing layers (I was comfy in five layers last year), some garbage bags, and a newspaper to crumple sheet-by-sheet into a garbage bag for a cushion. With the right attitude, this can be lots of fun.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Ian...very good point about the newspaper to crumble...I did that...made a comfy cushion :D

Good point about hydrating on the bus...one of my hilarious memories is when our bus got "stuck" for a bit in traffic. Pretty well all the women (including me) headed for the bushes :lol: :lol:

Rick...Ian is right...the right attitude can make this into a huge celebration of fun. You owe this to yourself :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Ray-
Since you'll have some time during taper, you may be interested to read this. :)

Narr's Boston Experience (originally posted in Running room forum)

Greg ran Boston in 2005, so some of the information is out of date (i.e., noon start, no two-wave start) but most is still relevant.

If I ever get there, I expect I'll be dropped off at Hopkinton State Park which is very close to where my family lives.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Sheldon....what's with the MJ crutch grab in one of those pics :shock:
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm

opcougar wrote:Sheldon....what's with the MJ crutch grab in one of those pics :shock:

MJ stole that move from me.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback (as always). By warm up, I meant a place where I can walk / jog back and forth to loosen the old limbs.

Jen thanks for the link to narr's story. A great read!

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Wow, I can't believe Boston is so soon. It's going to be hard to get any work done that day while tracking people's progress!

In answer to your question, some other details:

You'll pick up your race kit in a bag like the red ones shown in the photos. Your race kit will include a personalized label that you stick on the bag. AFAIK, that is the only bag that will be accepted in Hopkinton and returned to you in Boston. As you are walking to the start line, you'll pass a whole series of buses that are numbered according to the start corrals, and that's where you drop off your bag. The numbering system is so detailed that you actually drop off your bag to a specific window. Those same buses will be parked at the finish line.

I'm pretty sure there is water, coffee, food and (probably) juice available in Hopkinton where you are waiting. I didn't have any of it so am a little hazy on that detail.

The bus ride out to Hopkinton is (IMHO) a pretty cool part of the whole experience. It is really something to see thousands of people dressed in layers and carrying identical bags converging on Boston Common. The bus boarding procedure is pretty orderly but I would still recommend getting there early (7:00 a.m.?). The ride out to Hopkinton seems to take forever, but at the same time it goes quickly because just about everyone on the bus is talking and everyone's story is interesting. Note: there is a Green Line station right at Boston Common if you are travelling in from somewhere.

You probably want to leave the waiting area up to half an hour earlier than the start time. It's not a long walk, per se, but it somehow takes longer than you expect. And you don't want to be scrambling to get into your corral at the last minute (the way I was in 2008).

Be prepared for just about any weather - IOW have the various combinations you want in your bag so that you can get changed in Hopkinton if there is a sudden shift in the weather. I remember in 2008 it was quite chilly and the forecast was so so, then all of a sudden the sun came out and the temperature started to climb and I was pulling off layers.

Speaking of clothes, IIRC last year there was an area where you could drop off clothes and shoes to be donated to charity. So if you don't want to keep your extra layers and you don't need them at the start, that's an option. Oh - something else I did was to wear an old pair of running shoes right up until I was about to go to the start line, and then I changed into the shoes I was going to run in. Otherwise you are in your runners for several hours before you even start to run. That might not be an issue for you, but I was wearing fairly new shoes for the race and wanted the comfort of the "old familiars" until it was time to actually run.

Hope this helps :) And in case I miss saying this later, all the best in Boston - hope you have a wonderful experience with lots of terrific memories.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Doonst wrote:We did drive to near the start, about 3-4 K out. There is parking at a State Park and shuttles in from there. The roads were closed from here in and there was no waiting in line, as soon as a bus filled it went. Very easy going, no traffic jams either. We were at the Atlhete's village for about 1 1/2 hours before the first wave went. Robbie has some pictures posted, start at number 75. http://robbie-t.kicks-ass.org/2008-04-Boston_Marathon/Jody_Pictures/

Very well documented indeed, man did we ever look young back then.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:47 am

Robbie-T wrote:
Doonst wrote:We did drive to near the start, about 3-4 K out. There is parking at a State Park and shuttles in from there. The roads were closed from here in and there was no waiting in line, as soon as a bus filled it went. Very easy going, no traffic jams either. We were at the Atlhete's village for about 1 1/2 hours before the first wave went. Robbie has some pictures posted, start at number 75. http://robbie-t.kicks-ass.org/2008-04-Boston_Marathon/Jody_Pictures/

What has happened in 2yrs Mr T? :mrgreen:
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Army Run 19 Sept 10

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 am

opcougar wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:

He's got faster :D :D
If I wasn't Doonst's Official Fan...I'd be Robbie's :lol: :lol:

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:03 am

opcougar wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:

More then I care to discuss here.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:20 am

Take the buses, it is all part of the experience.

- Cheap air mattress
- Some Coffee in a Thermos
2 things to make sure you bring.

Warmup? There is the "walk" from athletes village to the corrals, no other feeling like it.

I dare you to try and stop grinning.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 am

I'm curious- for those that say "the buses are part of the experience"-- why is that better than the "experience" Sheldon and Rob had in the parking lot in Hopkinton State Park and the shuttle buses from there? It's just a different experience, I guess. That's what many locals do that live closer to the start line than Boston.

Also- Rob and Sheldon-- how did you get back to the parking lot after? Did someone meet you after the finish, or did you take the "limited transportation"?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 am

Not alot more to add that others have not, but here are some comments.
Bus ride to start, huge long line ups at Boston Commons, but don’t let it worry you, I was in the 2nd wave, got to the bus point at my prescribed time and was in Hopkinton in lots of time. I arrived and was sitting around for quite some time before the 1st wave was called. After you’re on the bus its about an hour to get to the school. When you’re in line for the busses, it can be frustrating for some, but just keep it in perspective, more time on the bus is imply deducted from the time you are sitting around on a garbage bag at the school.
Family/friends--better that you know roughly where they plan to be, and they should have something distinctve for your eye. Some people will have balloons that wil be a few feet above the crowd, others a brightly coloued sign or maybe a cowbell. They will know your approximate time line but they are looking at thousands crossing their path---expect there will be 4-8 runners wide at times. By way of example--finishing times at 3:30 range hav about 250 people per minute crossing the line, a few less as the times are faster, a few more as times are slower.
At the school there will be plenty of water, gatorage and power bars, bagels
Porta potties---at the school, again at the super market parking lot (near starting line), and another set in the square at the starting line--this last set however is really only good for corrals 1-4, after that the corrals are back down the hill towards the super market.
I was told that in prior years there was a pee trough for the men, not well published, I didn’t find it in 2009
Clothes--as other said more/extra is better than less. There will bed drop points at the school, many points along the walk to the start, and at the corrals, also consider what you will need at finish line, if your hotel is not close by or you spend time looking for family afterwards you might get chilled, so
During the race---high/low five some of the kids, it will be a thrill for them, no time impact for you and you’ll remember it. Girls at Wellesley college---they will be hanging over the fence—with signs----“Kiss me I’m a senior”, “Kiss me I’m Irish”, “Kiss me I’m a genius”, “Kiss me I’m a lesbian”. Why not stop and help one of these girls make their quota! Again it’s another memory for you and you can self justify the few seconds it takes by telling yourself its no more time than walking a few steps through a water station getting a drink.
something in your bag for the end might be a good idea.
Advice/Tips passed on to me.
Once my family drops me off they go to Natick, right in the common at mile 10. I meet them on the north side (runner’s left). Then I meet them at mile 17 at the Newton Fire Station…again on runner’s left just as you take the right hand turn heading up the hill. I like these two places because it helps break up the race into 3 manageable sections. Miles 1-10 are downhill to flat; then I get through the middle of the race up to Mile 17 and see my parents again for an emotional boost to conquer the hills. I always say goodbye to them by saying, “I’ll see you at the finish line”. Saying that really fires me up and gives me energy to get up the hills and get to my favorite place of the whole marathon…Boston College. Once in Boston it’s a mess…I’ll be curious what the other veteran’s do because we haven’t been able to figure that one out yet. And my Stepdad grew up in Boston! For the more lively/rowdy set…get to Boston College. To me that is the BEST place to watch/party. I can’t wait to get there as the crowd is awesome!!!
Tips: Use body glide…lot’s of it! Feet, legs, chest, arms, etc… The first 5 miles are all downhill so start slow…do NOT be lulled into thinking this race is easy by these first 5. Don’t jump out of the gate and sprint with the rest of the runners. Go at your own pace…and remember the first 5 are downhill so be cautious with your speed. The next 5 miles are essentially flat so find your pace and stick to it. With the hills looming from 16-21 it is imperative that you reach the halfway point feeling not good but GREAT. I actually tend to run the 2nd half of the race (and the harder part) faster…I make sure I have enough energy for that second half. From the top of heartbreak hill enjoy your last 5 miles. These are the best 5 miles by far. They are all downhill, the crowds are awesome and you can finally taste the finish…as well as see the Pru in the distance. These last 5 miles is what it’s all about. Now that you can bring an iPod do so…there are some places where you will need it as the crowds are thin in some sections. Don’t stop at the first water or Gatorade station at each mile marker…there are many others behind it…avoid the herd mentality of everyone going to that first station. I run with a bottle and fill it up with a mix of water and Gatorade every few stations…this allows me to avoid some of the congestion at the water stations and just keep running. There are fluids on both sides of the road, don’t cross to get to the first open

And lastly...we are still more tha 2 weeks out, but the 10 day forecast is showing highs of 60f and lows of 45F for the days up to Fri the 16th. This is right on the long term average, so lets just plan for perfec conditons!

Dave

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/general/monthly/USMA0046
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:46 am

Jwolf wrote:Also- Rob and Sheldon-- how did you get back to the parking lot after? Did someone meet you after the finish, or did you take the "limited transportation"?

I totally liked getting dropped off at Hopkinton State Park, we didn't have to get up as early or wait outside as long. I'd definitely do this again.

Doonst's SO dropped us off then went back into Boston for the race. We cleaned up at Strider's room then took the subway back out to Arlington after the race and post race celebration.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am

Jwolf wrote:I'm curious- for those that say "the buses are part of the experience"-- why is that better than the "experience" Sheldon and Rob had in the parking lot in Hopkinton State Park and the shuttle buses from there? It's just a different experience, I guess.

Obviously I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think the sentiment behind the remarks is definitely "different", not "better". If you're not a local, if you don't know Boston, and if you're staying near the finish line, the buses are the most practical option. And so they become part of the "Boston experience" in your mind. And I personally just found it a really cool feeling to walk over to Boston Common early in the morning, through streets that were full of other people walking over there, all carrying the same bag, with the combined sense of nerves, excitement and anticipation in the air. Followed by the bus ride itself, with so many strangers connecting with each other.

At the same time, if I ever had the chance, I would love to stay in Hopkinton, get a little extra sleep, follow a more familiar pre-race routine in terms of timing, and walk over to the start area :) I do envy the locals who can do that.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am

Mid_Packer wrote:Not alot more to add that others have not, but here are some comments.
Bus ride to start, huge long line ups at Boston Commons, but don’t let it worry you, I was in the 2nd wave, got to the bus point at my prescribed time and was in Hopkinton in lots of time. I arrived and was sitting around for quite some time before the 1st wave was called. After you’re on the bus its about an hour to get to the school. When you’re in line for the busses, it can be frustrating for some, but just keep it in perspective, more time on the bus is imply deducted from the time you are sitting around on a garbage bag at the school.
Family/friends--better that you know roughly where they plan to be, and they should have something distinctve for your eye. Some people will have balloons that wil be a few feet above the crowd, others a brightly coloued sign or maybe a cowbell. They will know your approximate time line but they are looking at thousands crossing their path---expect there will be 4-8 runners wide at times. By way of example--finishing times at 3:30 range hav about 250 people per minute crossing the line, a few less as the times are faster, a few more as times are slower.
At the school there will be plenty of water, gatorage and power bars, bagels
Porta potties---at the school, again at the super market parking lot (near starting line), and another set in the square at the starting line--this last set however is really only good for corrals 1-4, after that the corrals are back down the hill towards the super market.
I was told that in prior years there was a pee trough for the men, not well published, I didn’t find it in 2009
Clothes--as other said more/extra is better than less. There will bed drop points at the school, many points along the walk to the start, and at the corrals, also consider what you will need at finish line, if your hotel is not close by or you spend time looking for family afterwards you might get chilled, so
During the race---high/low five some of the kids, it will be a thrill for them, no time impact for you and you’ll remember it. Girls at Wellesley college---they will be hanging over the fence—with signs----“Kiss me I’m a senior”, “Kiss me I’m Irish”, “Kiss me I’m a genius”, “Kiss me I’m a lesbian”. Why not stop and help one of these girls make their quota! Again it’s another memory for you and you can self justify the few seconds it takes by telling yourself its no more time than walking a few steps through a water station getting a drink.
something in your bag for the end might be a good idea.
Advice/Tips passed on to me.
Once my family drops me off they go to Natick, right in the common at mile 10. I meet them on the north side (runner’s left). Then I meet them at mile 17 at the Newton Fire Station…again on runner’s left just as you take the right hand turn heading up the hill. I like these two places because it helps break up the race into 3 manageable sections. Miles 1-10 are downhill to flat; then I get through the middle of the race up to Mile 17 and see my parents again for an emotional boost to conquer the hills. I always say goodbye to them by saying, “I’ll see you at the finish line”. Saying that really fires me up and gives me energy to get up the hills and get to my favorite place of the whole marathon…Boston College. Once in Boston it’s a mess…I’ll be curious what the other veteran’s do because we haven’t been able to figure that one out yet. And my Stepdad grew up in Boston! For the more lively/rowdy set…get to Boston College. To me that is the BEST place to watch/party. I can’t wait to get there as the crowd is awesome!!!
Tips: Use body glide…lot’s of it! Feet, legs, chest, arms, etc… The first 5 miles are all downhill so start slow…do NOT be lulled into thinking this race is easy by these first 5. Don’t jump out of the gate and sprint with the rest of the runners. Go at your own pace…and remember the first 5 are downhill so be cautious with your speed. The next 5 miles are essentially flat so find your pace and stick to it. With the hills looming from 16-21 it is imperative that you reach the halfway point feeling not good but GREAT. I actually tend to run the 2nd half of the race (and the harder part) faster…I make sure I have enough energy for that second half. From the top of heartbreak hill enjoy your last 5 miles. These are the best 5 miles by far. They are all downhill, the crowds are awesome and you can finally taste the finish…as well as see the Pru in the distance. These last 5 miles is what it’s all about. Now that you can bring an iPod do so…there are some places where you will need it as the crowds are thin in some sections. Don’t stop at the first water or Gatorade station at each mile marker…there are many others behind it…avoid the herd mentality of everyone going to that first station. I run with a bottle and fill it up with a mix of water and Gatorade every few stations…this allows me to avoid some of the congestion at the water stations and just keep running. There are fluids on both sides of the road, don’t cross to get to the first open

And lastly...we are still more tha 2 weeks out, but the 10 day forecast is showing highs of 60f and lows of 45F for the days up to Fri the 16th. This is right on the long term average, so lets just plan for perfec conditons!

Dave

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/general/monthly/USMA0046

Wow....chatter from chatham, did you type all that in one sitting? :mrgreen: :lol:
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Army Run 19 Sept 10

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am

opcougar wrote:
Wow....chatter from chatham, did you type all that in one sitting? :mrgreen: :lol:

Are you just going to go thread to thread and snark at people who are actually contributing to discussions? I'm really not seeing the point to this.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 am

Depending upon the bus, you can be there for some time. Great advice about the hydration for the bus.

Why the bus - the vibe and mood is all part of the experience. Sat next to a guy in my age group who qualified on his 11th attempt and had tears in his eyes when he spoke of his BQ. And get off the bus and a guy sitting behind asks if he heard right if I am from Calgary. We started to talk and it turns out he lives and worked in New York with my brother in law and had a girl friend from Calgary.

Now in 2007 with the rain, wind and cold I was in no rush and literally caught one of the last buses. Got close to the school drop off, saw the time, got out of the bus, found a bush and walked about a mile from the village to the start lien that year.

In 2006 they had a free massage in the school before the start so something to check out. Stumbled upon that by accident.

In 2006 it was a nice day so I needed up wandering around the village and just soaking up the experience and the sites. Pretty cool seeing all of the different flags and people.

The extra and toss away clothing and cheap air mattress is a great idea.

There are bagels and some drinks at the village but I was so nervous the first time drank and drank and then sat in line for a good portion of the time.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:17 am

People have covered a lot of the good stuff, so I'll just throw my 2 cents in.

Having tried it both ways, I wouldn't try to catch a late bus to minimize the time pre-race at Hopkinton: err a little on the early side. The ride is somewhat quicker, and it feels less rushed and hectic. The buses zing along almost to Hopkinton, then come to a complete stop and are stop and go for the final 10k. The "don't overdo your morning hydration" thing can't be emphasized enough. Probably 60% of the people on the buses I was on had to jump off, and inevitably the bus moves while they are off. Some catch the same bus, some can't figure out what bus they were on, others must jump on a different bus and find their gear later. That is a lot of stress. In spite of that I think the bus ride is a good experience.

Note: while people pile off the bus and urinate enroute, if you jump off the bus and go into the woods at Hopkinton because you're desperate you will probably get a ticket. They take your bib number, so they DO know who you are. If you are on an earlier bus and in the first wave, the 2nd wave porta-potties are virtually deserted until those buses arrive. Take toilet paper just in case.

As you move toward the start, there are strangely little-used porta-potties on the (surprizingly long) walk to the start corrals, but the porta-potties AT the start corrals get lined up. If you MIGHT have to go before the start, stop enroute to the corrals. Bear in mind this race has LOADS of water stations: don't overdo the hydration before the race.

And as far as when the race starts, the first 3-4 corrals always ROCKET out of the gate, as those runners aren't used to having so many runners ahead of them who are genuinely FASTER than they are. Corral 5 can go either way: it sometimes starts a bit slow due to crowding, sometimes it too goes too fast on the DOWNHILL after the start line. Whatever, remember that all the runners around you qualified with the same time as you did: don't expect the crowd to thin out any time soon. Just relax into a comfortable pace, but make sure it isn't too fast.

And have fun!

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm

MichaelMc wrote:I wouldn't try to catch a late bus to minimize the time pre-race at Hopkinton: err a little on the early side. The ride is somewhat quicker, and it feels less rushed and hectic.

I can totally attest to this...the year I went we were literally on the last bus to arrive in Hopkinton (not by choice, but just how the lines were moving)...We barely had time to hit the portapottie, walk through the athletes village (NO time to sit and reflect/freakout/etc) dump our bags on the bag check bus and then go to the corral...less than 3 minutes after arriving at the corral we were off!!! :shock: It would have been nice to soak in a little of the atmosphere without rushing..
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm

To better answer maybe you have to ask the question what do you want out of the Boston Marathon?

For some, 2006 for me, it was the reward, the brass ring to be enjoyed and so I approached the race in that fashion. I had brought my wife and two days before the race had walked 10 miles sight seeing around Boston. I went to the pasta dinner and ate chocolate bunnies as it was also Easter Weekend. As we were meeting friends in New York, when plan A went out the window, I would slow down to look at the famous and not so famous sites. I was strangely calm about the entire thing.

In 2007 I had a goal and so approached things in a completely different manner. I was all business and left my wife at home.

But that is the great thing about Boston, you can treat it either way and you have still run the Boston Marathon and once you get that medal, nothing else in the universe matters for very long.

Return to “General Running Discussion”