Perspective for us BOP'ers

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Perspective for us BOP'ers

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm

We can all cook up reasons for not posting race reports or daily workouts (too fast, too slow, too ugly, dnf). No one is really special in that regard. But, this would be a boring place if we all succommed to our embarassment and decide to hide our experiences. What a place: a few post and the rest lurk. At the moment, there is enough posting so no one feels too much like a sore thumb because they post everyday.

I only keep a journal because Habs4ever reads it.... :wink:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:44 pm

[/quote]
For me personally, its the MOP/BOP race reports that I find most entertaining. No offense to the really fast guys/gals. I read race reports to look for the flavour of accomplishment, and 9 times out of 10, I get that from the racers who deem themselves 'slow'. This is coming from a guy who flirted briefly with being one of those fast guys, got injured, and now runs happy as a mid-packer.[/quote]

Hey I got a mention in the post :lol:

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Mid_Packer wrote:
For me personally, its the MOP/BOP race reports that I find most entertaining. No offense to the really fast guys/gals. I read race reports to look for the flavour of accomplishment, and 9 times out of 10, I get that from the racers who deem themselves 'slow'. This is coming from a guy who flirted briefly with being one of those fast guys, got injured, and now runs happy as a mid-packer.[/quote]

Hey I got a mention in the post :lol:

Dave

:naughty: :naughty: Umm, A "-" was used and not an "_" in mid-packer ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm

ultra monk wrote:We can all cook up reasons for not posting race reports or daily workouts (too fast, too slow, too ugly, dnf). No one is really special in that regard. But, this would be a boring place if we all succommed to our embarassment and decide to hide our experiences. What a place: a few post and the rest lurk. At the moment, there is enough posting so no one feels too much like a sore thumb because they post everyday.

I only keep a journal because Habs4ever reads it.... :wink:

Hey, I read it too. :)

I agree with you, Laura.

I've actually been surprised lately to hear about other people who aren't even regular posters (that I didn't even know about) that read my journal. I don't really feel like I say anything earth-shattering, but if it helps or inspires some people it's worth it to keep it public. I stopped posting in the daily thread for the most part, because that seems fairly inconsistent and redundant.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Wow, I can't believe the replies t this thread! I a, very surprised - pleasantly - and taken aback by some of the responses posted here. There are so many positive replies here, which is great. Reading what Robbie T wrote was a surprise and an eye opener. It is interesting how so many of us feel the same way, whether we are BOP'ers or near the front. I am fascinated by the great times that are posted, and cannot believe the obstacles that so many of you have overcome, whether they were from injuries, from being overweight, personal/relationship issues or just 'stuff' from everyday life. Well done maniacs. :clap:
Thanks for the support, and keep up the great work everyone. :D

Excuse me, I have another race this Sunday that I must get ready for. :lol: :shock: :doh:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Doug - Look who's speedy now? :D

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

waynerdog wrote:Let us celebrate our BOP status!

At Calgary 70.3 this past weekend, I was 702/770, in my age group I was 111/115. I finished in 7:16:17.

That's right. I finished. While other men 35-39 were sleeping, watching TV, eating breakfast (and lunch :oops: ), etc., I was swimming, cycling, and running. Sure, I was doing it slowly by many people's standards, but I damn well did it.

So I hear what you are saying, because the perspective is shared. And I am extremely proud - of both of us!

p.s. - Spirit - I also won my AG one time by being the only person in my AG in the race. The gold medal hangs on my wall with the rest of my race medals! :lol:

ahem - if a certain someone actually posted a race report, some other someone could post a couple of photos that certain someone could be very proud of.

just sayin'...
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Great post Doug and congrats on the race!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:47 pm

I dunno - there are a few quite quick people on here but mostly this is a support and advice board for recreational runners, right? So don't be shy about contributing. My other hobby is martial arts - I always tell the guys who hit a wall after a couple of years where they feel like they're going nowhere - "you are better than 99% of the people who start because you are still here". Keep showing up, keep at it - you are better than the quitters and never-starters, no matter how slow you are. Your motivation better be internal because if it's to be a world-beater, it ain't happening for any of us, the Robbie-Ts included.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:07 pm

DougG wrote:Wow, I can't believe the replies t this thread! I a, very surprised - pleasantly - and taken aback by some of the responses posted here. There are so many positive replies here, which is great. Reading what Robbie T wrote was a surprise and an eye opener. It is interesting how so many of us feel the same way, whether we are BOP'ers or near the front. I am fascinated by the great times that are posted, and cannot believe the obstacles that so many of you have overcome, whether they were from injuries, from being overweight, personal/relationship issues or just 'stuff' from everyday life. Well done maniacs. :clap:
Thanks for the support, and keep up the great work everyone. :D

Excuse me, I have another race this Sunday that I must get ready for. :lol: :shock: :doh:

I've read all the posts (including the last ones :D )
Love all the posts.
And I agree...well done Maniacs.
Another round of Orange Kool Aid for All :D :D :wink:

As for me I'm in non-racing mode these days...and quite frankly lovin it. I think I needed a season where I needed to run just for the joy of running. My personal "aha" moment came when I got back from a Sunday long run and dh asked..."how did your run go" and I answered in an apologetic tone..."well it wasn't really long..it was only 12km" I then thought to myself.."how many women do you know who are in their 58th year who run 12km and feel guilty..cuz it wasn't really a long run". That's when I decided to have a Summer of Fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Just going on about my own comment about world-beaters, because I realize there actually are a couple who post here from time to time - Rick Ball comes to mind.

Anyhoo, my martial arts club isn't that dissimilar to here - a bunch of people who mostly started late in life, are in it for fun and aren't going to be competing at the top levels. But once a year we run a seminar and bring in some genuine world-beaters - national team members who contend for top spots at the world championships. Every last one of them has expressed amazement at the attitude of a bunch of people practicing hard for the sheer joy of it, without the serious competitive goals that they have. For some of these guys it isn't always that fun - it's just too much work, pressure, seriousness. But they come here and see the participation, the enthusiasm: they don't care at all what the level is - all they want to do is support that and help us out, whatever our goals are.

That's kind of how I see the top dogs here.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:39 am

Jo-Jo wrote: My personal "aha" moment came when I got back from a Sunday long run and dh asked..."how did your run go" and I answered in an apologetic tone..."well it wasn't really long..it was only 12km" I then thought to myself.."how many women do you know who are in their 58th year who run 12km and feel guilty..cuz it wasn't really a long run".

And you wonder why I've elevated you to 'personal hero' status. This (among other reasons) is why. :D
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 am

Awesome report Doug! And way to start a really interesting, thought provoking thread! It sometimes feels funny to be caught in the world, of "slow" in comparison to some, "and holy sh!t, you biked/ran/swam how far? :shock: ". I post in the daily thread, because (mostly) if I say I'm going to do something, I do it! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
As for me I'm in non-racing mode these days...and quite frankly lovin it. I think I needed a season where I needed to run just for the joy of running. My personal "aha" moment came when I got back from a Sunday long run and dh asked..."how did your run go" and I answered in an apologetic tone..."well it wasn't really long..it was only 12km" I then thought to myself.."how many women do you know who are in their 58th year who run 12km and feel guilty..cuz it wasn't really a long run". That's when I decided to have a Summer of Fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Somewhat related to back of the pack (BOP) is other comparisons. I've had to realize that I'm not guilty (or less than anyone) if I "only" run ______ instead of (for instance) 100 miles. My time is mine and so is the rest of my exercise parameters.

I am healthy and fit. I want to be an athlete; and I no longer define "athlete" by anyone else's set of number.

But if you are fast: PLEASE share that with me! I love hearing about it.

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:46 pm

I like this thread. I try to read everyones reports. I always find something I can relate to or learn from, regardless of whether they're faster or slower than me. Everyone is motivated by different things and I find reading about someone elses successes, or failures for that matter, help keep things in perspective. Nobody should be embarassed by their speed, distances or goals. And sharing those experiences is the "community" part of this board. It would be pretty dull without them.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I realized this morning that it is not someone's time that impresses me (or not). Its how much heart they put into it. Sometimes a talented runner doesn't have to put their heart into it because it is so natural; while the ungifted plodder has to throw their heart over the bar just to finish.

I find this in the race reports. The speed demons and the plodders all share their hearts. This I like to read very much.

Its not the glory, its the guts!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:39 pm

ultra monk wrote:I realized this morning that it is not someone's time that impresses me (or not). Its how much heart they put into it. Sometimes a talented runner doesn't have to put their heart into it because it is so natural; while the ungifted plodder has to throw their heart over the bar just to finish.

I find this in the race reports. The speed demons and the plodders all share their hearts. This I like to read very much.

You hit 'er right on the nail there UM!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm

trixiee wrote:
ultra monk wrote:I realized this morning that it is not someone's time that impresses me (or not). Its how much heart they put into it. Sometimes a talented runner doesn't have to put their heart into it because it is so natural; while the ungifted plodder has to throw their heart over the bar just to finish.

Well said Laura :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
trixiee wrote:

Well said Laura :D

I'm willing to bet JoJo that your Boston experience will be THE most memorable of you running career, no matter how many PBs or AGs you ever win. As we know, the time on that was not your best: but you scored really high on heart. If you go back to Boston, it won't be the same.

militarybrat
Johnny Miles

Postby militarybrat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 pm

DougG wrote:

Doug, I looked for RunningMania Orange but must have missed you... How did you do?

Sylvie
2010 Goals:
stay injury free...
Toronto Goodlife Marathon

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:11 pm

I had the Barrie Baydogs tri top on today with my bright lime green hat :lol: . My placing wasn't great but I was very happy with my day(see my report). Too bad we didn't connect this morning.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:39 pm

I realized this morning that it is not someone's time that impresses me (or not). Its how much heart they put into it. Sometimes a talented runner doesn't have to put their heart into it because it is so natural; while the ungifted plodder has to throw their heart over the bar just to finish.

Its not the glory, its the guts![/quote]

You hit 'er right on the nail there UM![/quote]

Well said Laura I'm willing to bet JoJo that your Boston experience will be THE most memorable of you running career, no matter how many PBs or AGs you ever win. As we know, the time on that was not your best: but you scored really high on heart. If you go back to Boston, it won't be the same.[/quote]

Yes to heart and moment. There are moments that we all hold close to our heart. Mine was finishing the Ottawa 1/2 in 2007 in 2:15 - I never could have believed it possible. Whether I am running or whether I am not, I stay with this forum - with all the encouragement here I am able to still believe that I am a runner, even if at times, it is only in my heart. All the stories inspire me here, that is why I log in every day. Laura is so correct, I am inspired by the guts of my friends and the guts of my running community which is RM.

Doug hope your day was fabulous.
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".
Lewis Carroll

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Everybody here inspires me in their own different way. Whether its by being fast, being strong, training hard, persevering, fighting through adversity, balancing life obligations.

The only people who don't inspire me are the people who don't try.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:07 am

Racing is not just about the numbers. Its about the character of the person who generated the numbers and the journey of their soul...

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 am

I love reading the race reports on RM too. Speedy, BOP or somewhere in between I read about people who face their personal battles 'out there' and realize that it isn't the time we finish at that unites us but the desire to challenge ourselves, meet our goals, and break down the obstacles we face.

I am truly a BOP. I've knocked off a whole 13 minutes since my first half. To look at me I am a healthy individual ... I 'look like a runner' (or so I've been told). So people think I 'should' be faster. But I face issues people would never suspect. Through the many reports at RM I have learned how to set up and go for a running program that meets the need of my body. The result ... I am SLOW! :D But being a BOP'er has resulted in increased strength, improved health, and increased confidence as I achieve things I never ever thought I'd do in my life.

So how bad is it to be a BOP?

Return to “General Running Discussion”