Wanna Go Fast? Get Bigger? Go Vegan

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Wanna Go Fast? Get Bigger? Go Vegan

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 am

HCmD wrote:Unless, you are preparing the vegetarian meal in a true, non-meatatarian kitchen environment, don't you still run the risk of cross-contamination, if you used the same cooking utensils and pots, pans, etc. ?? :?

And, just throwing it out there ... does the belief also apply to the non-use of "animal" products, whether it is for clothing, boots/shoes, wallets, etc. ?? :?

Are you just going to ask questions, or are you going to answer them?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 am

turd ferguson wrote:
HCmD wrote:Unless, you are preparing the vegetarian meal in a true, non-meatatarian kitchen environment, don't you still run the risk of cross-contamination, if you used the same cooking utensils and pots, pans, etc. ?? :?

And, just throwing it out there ... does the belief also apply to the non-use of "animal" products, whether it is for clothing, boots/shoes, wallets, etc. ?? :?

Are you just going to ask questions, or are you going to answer them?

Just asking them ... As I have no issues about eating meat (assuming it is dead) nor wearing animal products (also, assuming it is dead) :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:The advice columnist OTOH seems to have the attitude. Plus, I'm never sure how these columnists dole out advice on such little information. You just know the Dear Ann type letters are telling only one side of whatever story there is.

It's just to make it sound dramatic.

It's unfair to assume that a vegetarian will just "get by" with some of the meals that meat-eaters eat, though. For example in that story if the host was on a low-carb kick and simply served flank steak with a side of steamed veggies and a small amount of rice, the side dishes would hardly be a meal for the vegetarian. Like Seuss said, if I know someone coming over is vegetarian I'll make either a vegetarian meal or have lots of options. A polite guest wouldn't bring out their own food and sneer at the others eating meat if there were lots of options being served. Like you said, though-- there's not enough information in that story to know whether the guest was purposely being "a pill" or if there really wasn't enough food there for him.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

HCmD wrote:Unless, you are preparing the vegetarian meal in a true, non-meatatarian kitchen environment, don't you still run the risk of cross-contamination, if you used the same cooking utensils and pots, pans, etc.

Vegetarians who eat in other people's homes or non-veg restaurants generally aren't worried about this type of cross-contamination. We're not talking about allergies here.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 am

Jwolf wrote:
HCmD wrote:Unless, you are preparing the vegetarian meal in a true, non-meatatarian kitchen environment, don't you still run the risk of cross-contamination, if you used the same cooking utensils and pots, pans, etc.

Vegetarians who eat in other people's homes or non-veg restaurants generally aren't worried about this type of cross-contamination. We're not talking about allergies here.

I cook meat in my kitchen (for my husband and son), I just don't eat it.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:28 pm

eme wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

If my understanding is correct, for Vegans, they are against the use of all "animal" products, is that correct ?? :think: :think: :think:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 pm

HCmD wrote:Just asking them ... As I have no issues about eating meat (assuming it is dead) nor wearing animal products (also, assuming it is dead) :wink:

Google "Ikizukuri"...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
HCmD wrote:Just asking them ... As I have no issues about eating meat (assuming it is dead) nor wearing animal products (also, assuming it is dead) :wink:

Google "Ikizukuri"...

jono

Now, talk about "fresh" suishi .... :drool: :drool: :shock: :wink: :oops:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Being a vegan is not like following a religion. There is no "official" set of rules. Most people make decisions of conscience or health; both of which can be quite individual.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:48 pm

ultra monk wrote:Being a vegan is not like following a religion. There is no "official" set of rules. Most people make decisions of conscience or health; both of which can be quite individual.

Actually that makes it sound exactly like following a religion.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
ultra monk wrote:Being a vegan is not like following a religion. There is no "official" set of rules. Most people make decisions of conscience or health; both of which can be quite individual.

Actually that makes it sound exactly like following a religion.

:lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:56 pm

eme wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

HCmD wrote:If my understanding is correct, for Vegans, they are against the use of all "animal" products, is that correct ?? :think: :think: :think:

I'll clarify. I am a dietary vegan, I don't eat meat or animal products for my own personal health reasons (to be able to eat meat and animal product I require large doses of medication, with nasty side effects) but I wear leather and my family eats meat/animal products.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 pm

And I am both a dietary vegan AND an ethical vegan. I don't cook meat in my house, don't appreciate it if people bring non-vegan things into my house, and don't wear or use animal products (in cosmetics, etc.) But Colleen and I still get along :wink:

Still, when I go out to a non-vegan restaurant, I suspect my vegan stuff isn't cooked in a super-secret back-room vegan kitchen. That's just life. And if I find chicken bits in my vegan stir-fry, I avoid that restaurant in the future (I'm talking to you, Thai Express).
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Return to “General Running Discussion”