For the ladies: Running and the Pelvic Floor

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 pm

I have been keeping my mileage at 5km or under for the last year. I have a mild prolapse after the 3rd child and I found if I ran anything over 5km I could feel discomfort in my pelvis, kind of like a pulling feeling accompanied by cramps. I have been on a waiting list for the last year to see a physiotherapist that specializes in the pelvic floor. I finally got to see her on Thursday and she definitely does not recommend running anything over 10km and would prefer that I kept it at 5km. She has many patients that run. I had hoped to have attempted a half by the time I was 40 but that happened in August. I mentioned this to her and she did not recommend it at all. She has recommended a pessary if I wanted to use running as my main form of exercise. I'm not sure whether to give up running altogether and find another form of exercise that I enjoy or give the pessary a go. I do not want to end up having surgery. Just wondering if there are any ladies out there that have a similar situation and what you do to manage it. Has it affected your running or the way you exercise?
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

5K Endurance D.D.O. 33:08 Aug.13 2008
PEC team Challenge Leg 3 - Oct.5 2008
Rattle Me Bones 10K 1:06:55 - Oct.26 2008

Double Yellow Headed Amazons http://www.mlaviaries.com

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: For the ladies: Running and the Pelvic Floor

Postby IronColl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Awww, sorry that this is the prognosis she has suggested. If you were to use the pessary could you run longer than 10km?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Does running actually make it worse?

Just curious because my doctor told me that my running likely kept my pelvic floor muscles stronger.

I've also heard that core exercises can really help (better than kegels). Did the physio recommend these?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:16 pm

She did not recommend running anything over 10km even with the pessary. Some core exercises have a similar affect on me (cramping, pulling feeling). She did recommend pilates but with a "good" instructor that can properly explain the use of the pelvic region. She said running is not a good thing for the pelvic floor in general and specifically not for a weakened one (slight prolapse). She did not tell me to stop running, just to limit it. She actually told me to increase it to 5km each run (instead of 3km) between now and my next appointment so she could evaluate the increased effect.
A workout is a series of exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps. ~Author Unknown

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 pm

BTW, there is a rather noticeable difference in a poorly done kegel to one that is done properly

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:00 pm

Is she suggesting with "rehab" the polapse will be corrected? My understanding (although limited) is that the prolapse is something you would consider fixing surgically if you are as young as you are.... Sounds kind of rough either way :(
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Mich
Bill Crothers

Postby Mich » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Size5 wrote:Is she suggesting with "rehab" the polapse will be corrected? My understanding (although limited) is that the prolapse is something you would consider fixing surgically if you are as young as you are.... Sounds kind of rough either way :(

No, it won't be corrected. It is minor, rated a 1, no surgery required. Rehab would make sure it did not progress. I just don't want to make it worse by running, but it is a form of exercise I enjoy. So it is the debate of do I run or do I find a different kind of exercise. I am fine with sticking to lower km's as I run purely for exercise, no distance or time goals required by me, I leave part up to hubby.

Return to “General Running Discussion”