The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Re: The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast

Postby babysteps » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:31 am

PinkLady wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
Jwolf wrote: I would guess that for most people that say they can't run on an empty stomach, it's more of a psychological thing than physical anyway.

can't speak for anyone else, but it's definitely NOT psychological for me. I am extremely sensitive to blood sugar levels and can feel them plummeting... running on an empty stomach (whether early or late in the day) is a guaranteed way to bonk and end up doing a death march home.

Ditto, me too.

I guess it also depends how early you eat dinner, and how early your run is. If you ate dinner around, say, 6pm, and ran at 8am, that's a LONG time.

This reminds me of runners who train without fueling during long runs based on training their body to burn body fat and not the instant sugar from gels/bars/etc. They admit they feel like crap during the training though. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather feel energized and fresh during a run, and that means eating within a few hours of running, and fuelling as necessary during a long run. If that means I don't burn more fat than I otherwise could, that's fine with me....I'm in it to feel good about running and enjoying the exercise, not to torture myself!

Well, that may be, but that's not what the study was about. It's like if there was a study that said "pink has been shown to increase happiness in those who wear it" and you respond with "yes, but I like green". The study was looking at physiological effects of running on empty - not the enjoyment level or performance level of the runner's experience.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:00 pm

FWIW, I've been studying a lot of information about blood sugar recently.

From what I can tell, if you wake up famished on a regular basis and can feel your blood sugar having ups and downs, your blood sugar and hormones are probably out of whack. The antidote is to cut out sugar (including simple carbs), and to stay with your regular exercise schedule (making sure you are including weight training).

I'm going to be playing with fasted workouts in the weeks to come, and probably also intermittent fasting. We'll see how it goes!

Natalie
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:On weekdays I run before breakfast, anything from 8 km to 12 km, and definitely prefer to run on an empty stomach. Generally I have my last food (some kind of snack) around 8:00 or 9:00 p.m., and start running around 6:30 a.m. the next day, so that's between 9 and 10 hours fasting. That's been the routine for so many years that I can't remember if it was difficult at first or not.

If I need to run longer on a weekday morning, I'll have a few GU Chomps or something similar around the 10 km mark.

To date I've never tried a weekend long run on an empty stomach and just relied on nutrition along the way. For those I have a light breakfast (200 - 300 calories) about two hours before.

Interesting how we are all different.

Ditto this exactly for me.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “General Running Discussion”