Tuesday Blues ...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Tuesday Blues ...

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:41 am

Another short upper body workout at the Club this morning ... suppose to go up to -2C or so with eitehr snow or freezing rain later this afternoon .... Sure hope it's the white stuff ... :pray: :pray: :pray:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Re: Tuesday Blues ...

Postby kevvyd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 am

It's -11 here this morning, but we're supposed to be getting rain by tonight. That said, 6 km tempo will be done at lunchtime rather than waiting til later.
Kevin

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 am

kevvyd wrote:It's -11 here this morning, but we're supposed to be getting rain by tonight. That said, 6 km tempo will be done at lunchtime rather than waiting til later.

I'm doing my run after work. I just couldn't fathom the -13 when I got up. I know it's nothing compared to some places, but when the temp is rising significantly in a few hours, I choose to wait.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 am

No blues for me today. After yesterday's cwappy day, I was hell bent and determined I would get up early this morning for a gym workout! I chased the blues away!
2.25 miles on the t/m, 2k skate, legs, chest and back workout, and 100 sit-ups for good measure! No stretching though. :? I'll pay for that later!
The snow was already started as I headed home from the gym. Be careful out there today!!!!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 am

RA wrote:
kevvyd wrote:It's -11 here this morning, but we're supposed to be getting rain by tonight. That said, 6 km tempo will be done at lunchtime rather than waiting til later.

I'm doing my run after work. I just couldn't fathom the -13 when I got up. I know it's nothing compared to some places, but when the temp is rising significantly in a few hours, I choose to wait.

I couldn't fathom that the guy on the radio said it is -33 out there with a windchill of -45...FFS. January sucks. Goal for today - stay warm.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 am

Went to bed in Winnipeg, woke up in Vancouver. I guess that means I'm in Calgary.

It's really mild here today. Almost got nailed by a pile of snow that slid off the slanted roof of the bus shelter this morning.

Today is Strength & Spin day. I actually get a longer spin on Tuesdays than I do on Saturdays because I can get into the studio early to do 20-30 minutes on my own before class starts.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 am

About 53min of XC skiing in Gatineau Park, a quick change of footwear and a 40min run to work. A nice morning out there. Snow was just starting to come down as I was on my way back from my ski. Had a nice view of the Ottawa skyline as I was crossing Boul Raymond on the skis. Definitely not as cold as yesterday (but the radio guy did say it was -23 with the wind) but I dressed about the same - so was a bit warm.

A tough ol' slog on the run this morning. My pack was a bit heavier than normal and the run from the Welcome Centre to Rue Alexandre-Tache was tough going on packed snow. Even once on the sidewalks they were kind of sloppy. Groin / inner thighs took a bit of a kicking with the slipping and sliding. I suspect it will be work on the run back this evening.

The ski workout was just long enough to listen to a Cage the Elephant album and the run was long enough to listen to an Evanescence album.

Have a great day everyone!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

Morning!

13K with some tempo intervals ranging from 1K to 3K thrown in. Pace was a bit slow on them, but I think I'm still getting my lungs back after my cold! (at least I hope that's all it is)

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am

Was up and ready to run some intervals this morning at 530am when my daughter woke up - which meant for me to skip the run or else she would never get back to sleep. So I will have to do my run after work today - oh well.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 am

3 miles last night on the treadmill....6 scheduled for tonight. Hoping I can get my friend to come over and sit (my daughter will be in bed) so I can get outside instead of using the treadmill.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 am

I ran after work yesterday and will do the same today.

Have a good day and take care out there Maniacs!
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 am

Will be hitting The Dome for some tempo work tonight -- :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:46 am

Blues here for sure... we didn't run yesterday, too tired we napped for like 4 hours!

Now back to regular business tonight. I'm thinking 35 mins or so.

Have a good day.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

kevvyd
Bruce Kidd

Postby kevvyd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am

KBO wrote:
I couldn't fathom that the guy on the radio said it is -33 out there with a windchill of -45...FFS. January sucks. Goal for today - stay warm.

KBO - -45? Where do you live? Aside from the wrong place, I mean. ;)
Kevin

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:01 am

kevvyd wrote:
KBO wrote:

KBO - -45? Where do you live? Aside from the wrong place, I mean. ;)

She lives in Winterpeg ... :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

KBO wrote:I couldn't fathom that the guy on the radio said it is -33 out there with a windchill of -45...FFS. January sucks. Goal for today - stay warm.

Just got an e-mail from a friend in Winnipeg and she said when she heard the temperature the first person she thought of was me. :shock: Not sure if that's good or bad. :lol:
Stay warm Winnipeg Maniacs.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 am

Tempo run is done.....not a great feeling run, legs started to go wonky on me and I was nauseous at the end, but at least it's done!

5.01 mile treadmill tempo run in 51min
-5 min walking warmup @ 3.3mph
-10 min slow run @ 5.6-5.8mph
-25 min RP tempo @ 7.1mph
-6 min slow run @ 5.8mph
-5 min cooldown walk @ 3.5mph
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am

Feels like a heat wave (at -11) after the 10 days of consistent -20 to -25 plus windchill. Wpg - no comment. xoxo.

I had said in the daily thread that I was going to do a spin/strength last night at home. Then realized I haven't had a 'rest' day in over a week and still debated it - decided I would just spin. Then I got a call from Ara (my boot camp trainer) asking if I wanted to switch to Tues/Thur morning at 5:30am, starting today. So I did take a rest day and just walked the dogs a bit longer (which is a workout wearing sorels) and did bootcamp this am - back to the stairs with some girls i haven't seen a while. the hour flew by!

Plan to do a run after work and maybe if I feel up for it, a short swim for kicks. Love not 'having' to do anything right now!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

Robinandamelia wrote:3 miles last night on the treadmill....6 scheduled for tonight. Hoping I can get my friend to come over and sit (my daughter will be in bed) so I can get outside instead of using the treadmill.

I feel your need to run outside, especially having to do a lot of TM running! Hope you get to run outside! :D
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 am

KBO wrote:I couldn't fathom that the guy on the radio said it is -33 out there with a windchill of -45...FFS. January sucks. Goal for today - stay warm.

PSA to the rest of Canada: That is a true cold weather alert. :shock:

I am soooo happy we haven't gotten that cold here in Ottawa so far *knocking on wood*
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 am

CinC wrote:Plan to do a run after work and maybe if I feel up for it, a short swim for kicks. Love not 'having' to do anything right now!

Yet you still do so much! The rest of us are not worthy. OK, maybe some of you are - I certainly am not! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am

Ditto on Carrie's remarks.

I haven't received a cancellation call so I guess my XC ski lesson will finally start this evening. :) I might go for a short run before as a warmup.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am

Sandra wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:3 miles last night on the treadmill....6 scheduled for tonight. Hoping I can get my friend to come over and sit (my daughter will be in bed) so I can get outside instead of using the treadmill.

I feel your need to run outside, especially having to do a lot of TM running! Hope you get to run outside! :D

Me three!

Rest day (actually rest week!) for me, but I'm really looking forward to running outside on the weekend. Can't wait for +7!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

Easy 15K in balmy -12. Indoor speedwork on tap for later tonight.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

Hammie wrote:
Sandra wrote:

Me three!

Rest day (actually rest week!) for me, but I'm really looking forward to running outside on the weekend. Can't wait for +7!

Thanks guys :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”