A little perspective

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

DougG
Jerome Drayton

A little perspective

Postby DougG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm no speed demon or marathon man.I'm a 40 something guy who runs a few times a week to keep in shape. I'm a middle of the pack runner who feels out of place with many faster runners that I know. I won't run with my local tri club because they are so much faster than me :oops:
So, why am I writing this? Yesterday i was in Toronto to have a comprehensive physical and fitness evaluation done. I explained to the doctor a few of the problems I was having, including feeling tired a lot. During my conversation with the doc, he asked me if I exercised;
" oh sure" I said "I do some running"
"oh? How often"
" 3 or 4 times a week"
" really? How far do you jog?" (note he said jog)
" between 3 and five miles, sometime I do six miles"
His eyes widened, then he said " if you can run five miles, you don't have any problems with energy. You are in very good shape"
"but I feel sluggish all the time"
"look, if you can jog 5 miles three times a week. You have nothing to worry about"
Later when I had the fitness evaluation, I mentioned some of my injuries,and that I had been struggling physically. I did the strength tests, some ab work,stretching and so on. I "passed" with flying colours. Now, I won't get the final for a couple of weeks,but I left there feeling a lot better. :angel:
what yesterday made me realize is that while I am a mid packer (on a good day), and I might feel like I am out of shape, and slow, when compared to the "average person" I am in great condition. I know I forget how good running (and cycling) is for us. Yes I might be "slow" when it comes to racing, but overall, I am pretty fast and pretty damn healthy :D
Sometimes a little perspective is what we need.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Re: A little perspective

Postby Engmomma » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Doug - slow runners or not we are still faster and in better shape then the dudes sitting on the couch.

Take the props from the doctor and keep "jogging" with your head held high.

:)
The Summer of Eng is over.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 pm

I hear you man!

I am a fellow mid-packer in awe of the speed and quick recovery of some of these freaks, so what I try and do is compare myself to my former self.

When you run an easy 20km run in 2 hours, think of when you couldn't even run for 2 minutes. Blows my mind sometimes, and I wasn't a couch potato. We think of ourselves as average when we see 10/20 for age group, but that is just amongst runners, if you consider everyone in your age group we are doing pretty damn well.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks for sharing. This post made me :D
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 pm

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks for posting this Doug -- it was something I needed to be reminded of as well: perspective....

We all have times where we beat ourselves up because our run didn't go as planned, or we cut it short, or we did not get out at all that day.... BUT whatever we do (no matter how little some days), is still A LOT MORE than a whole lot of people around us.....

You are doing GREAT, you Jogger, you!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:46 am

We may be slow, but we're ahead of the rest of them... :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 am

DougG wrote:Sometimes a little perspective is what we need.

Thanks for posting this Doug. I think we all need a little reminder once in a while, regardless of speed or age!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 am

john stanton had on his fb page the other day "are you built for speed or endurance"

made me feel way better, i could run for ages, but never the fastest in the crowd

thx for posting!

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:30 am

fit-kitty wrote:john stanton had on his fb page the other day "are you built for speed or endurance"

made me feel way better, i could run for ages, but never the fastest in the crowd

thx for posting!

I'm built for comfort Baby, I ain't built for speed ...!
"You're in over your head Donny..."

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Doug!

I too, need to be reminded of this!

It's crazy how little I think about the health benefits of my running - which is why I started doing it! When I've gone to the Dr and all tests are good, I remind myself - oh yeah! The running thing! :lol: :lol:

Perspective is right!

Jogging is not an offensive word to me!

Keep jogging!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 am

It is easy to lose perspective when we are amidst endurance athletes who do such mega-mileage and time. The amount we do to train for endurance races goes well beyond simple fitness exercising.

At the same time, I think the doctor should have taken your complaints about low energy more seriously. I assume you mean that you feel tired during the rest of the day, not that the running is "tough." That amount of running should leave you refreshed, not tired, if you are in good health. Have you had your iron checked? Thyroid? How is your sleeping? Etc.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 am

When we enter into the world of fitness, running and triathlon we sometimes forget that this is a very unique sub-group, so we are not comparing ourselves to the general population. As mas_runner said, you gain perspective when you compare yourself to yur former un-fit self.

Also, our society tends to glorify "athletes" who excel at team sports, whether that's at the professional level, or the recreational level (you know, "that guy" who can belt the ball out of the park with ease in your Tuesday night softball league, or the guy who can make all the 3-pointers in a game of two-on-two). So as a mid/back packer, we look at all those "fitter" and "faster" people ahead of us and get down on ourselves. We really shouldn't.
Jwolf wrote:At the same time, I think the doctor should have taken your complaints about low energy more seriously. I assume you mean that you feel tired during the rest of the day, not that the running is "tough." That amount of running should leave you refreshed, not tired, if you are in good health. Have you had your iron checked? Thyroid? How is your sleeping? Etc.

Agree.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

danielb
Johnny Miles

Postby danielb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:58 am

DougG,

Thanks for writing this, sometimes we runners need to remind ourselves to pat our own back every now and then.

Like mas_runner, when I need a good reminder of why I run I like to compare myself not to others, but to my former self who started running by going 3k around a lake and having to take a half-dozen walk breaks to my current self who, 18 months later, has completed half marathons and is getting ready to starting training for a full this fall. The idea of my former self doing this was laughable. I've got to remember to congratulate myself for how far I've come...

2013:
April: Mundy Pond 5k 22:39 (new PB)
May: New job on a new continent so who knows.
June: Mizuno 10 Miler Rio de Janeiro 1:23:36.
July: Rio de Janeiro Marathon 1:48:30 (new PB).

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Had a similar story. Hurt my back lifting weights a couple of years ago and ended up with a partially numb left big toe as a result. Finally got to see a Neurologist last week (somehow got put on her "routine" list - over 20 months wait!) and she said that I had L5 damage with some impact to L4, and basically would have to live with a numb toe. As she talked on about how surgery is not recommended, yada yada it occurred to me we were talking about a fairly serious injury here. So I asked her why if it was so serious I was only really in pain for a week or so, and the numbness didn't occur until a month later. She said that it was due to being in such good shape, and that an average person my age would likely have been in rough shape for months and probably required surgery. She also said that normally she would prescribe PT and other such things, but that I should just keep on doing what I'm doing unless I get a recurrence (and avoid heavy squats).

Again, I'm no star athlete and not particularly fast. But I get more exercise than the average 49 year old and it's good for me, despite the odd injury (which was caused by stupidity more than the exercise itself).

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks Doug.

I marvel everyday at how I am healthy and fit. You see, I KNOW most of my 50 something peer group are waaaay out of shape, very weak and on medication.

But the thing that is very different seems to be I love working out so much that I do it consistently. Most people fight a battle with lethargy and eventually lose. I fight with food, but not motivation. I love running. That is what I marvel at. Working very steadily, I'm better than years ago. Nothing spectacular, just the daily deed.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Very well put, Doug!

I'm not even up to the middle of the pack, and I'm still way healthier than when I started running. I keep reminding myself that, at mid-life, I'm moving faster and more than I ever have. And that's a huge accomplishment.

I, too, impressed my MD at my last appointment. Think how happy a doctor is to see a patient who is taking such a pro-active approach to his/her own health.

Run on, run on! 8)
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 pm

At the same time, I think the doctor should have taken your complaints about low energy more seriously. I assume you mean that you feel tired during the rest of the day, not that the running is "tough." That amount of running should leave you refreshed, not tired, if you are in good health. Have you had your iron checked? Thyroid? How is your sleeping? Etc.

Actually Jen, they took several vials of bloood and checked my heart etc. When taking my blood, the nurse said "don't worry, I'll leave you some". :lol:
I get my results in 2-3 weeks.
Last edited by DougG on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm

I needed that reminder. I've been getting down on myself because I'm just getting back to running after a couple month break due to some health issues.
I have to remind myself that even though I haven't been able to run I've still been walking/hiking with the dog, don't take the elevator at work, etc.

Compared to most people my age (late 50's) I'm probably more active than most.

Jog on :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:37 pm

DougG wrote:

Actually Jen, they took several vials of bloood and checked my heart etc. When taking my blood, the nurse said "don't worry, I'll leave you some". :lol:
I get my results in 2-3 weeks.

Ah, ok. Glad they did the standard blood workup. From the sound of the doc's reaction, it sounded as though he was dismissing your comments about low energy simply because you could run.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:46 pm

next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Doug! I need to be reminded of this too. I'm a very back of the pack runner. But I have endurance and long runs in the +/- 20K range. Most of my non-running friends can't even imagine that.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

I always thought of myself as the front of the middle of the pack. For this year at the very least, I am not even a part of the pack. Hell, I am not even running and have embraced jogging and power walking. Nordic walking to be tried next.

I am reminded by what running as part of an overall fitness routine has done for me and I say matter of fact when asked where I work and what is the commute like and I will mention I enjoy walking the 7.5 K home and see the looks of shock and amazement in their eyes.

Having achieved some fairly modest accomplishments and participating in sites such as this, it has been very easy for me to get upset or even depressed at the fact training for a race is just too hard on the body. And then I remember why I started to run in the first place. Boston was not even a dream as I had absolutely no clue about that race. I never even imagined any mortal could enter so I did not even think about something I could never do. Win age group series titles or finish top three in a year were not on my radar as my goal was first to finish and then not be completely embarrassed a 10 K race. The real goal of the race was to add a little some excitement to my training and all of the ritual and fuss of the race day added some spice to a hobby with health benefits.

If I never run again, it would not bother me because I went out way too fast, too hard and maybe even too often or too far but I grabbed the brass ring and would not trade my memories for anything. And there is an added benefit to "jogging" in that I would run around the Glenmore resevoir always worried about my stride or my pace or my heart rate or my breathing. Always looking at the 10 or 20 feet of pavement in front of me and had a nice walk/jog the other day and took in the beauty of that special place. And I even stopped here and there to really take in the sights.

Doug, a great post.

candlerun
Bruce Kidd

Postby candlerun » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you for this post as it could not have come at a better time for me.

I am slowly getting back in to the grove again and my 1/2 time two weeks ago was very slow (according to me as I am the back of the pack) and I have to realize that even though I was second last to cross that line, I came back and did it. Did the time bug me? A bit but it was more important to me as I finally returned to jogging and made it injury free in a winter half and finally earning that medal I have always wanted...

Perspective indeed. I am slow yes, but I am out there doing it.
Hypohalf - Check
Sask Half Marathon - PB 2:23:09
Bridge City Boogie 5k - 33:19 and a broken leg...
Mogathon 5k (in wheelchair) - Had a Blast!
Queen City Half Marathon
Nike Womens Half Marathon - in memory of my Grandma, MIL Natalie, my cousin Gary, many others, and most recently my Uncle Allan and my Great Uncle Paul.
Wishes
Edmonton Derby Half - not going to happen due to break
To sign up for a few smaller ones along the way - maybe some late fall small ones

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. ~John Bingham

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:22 pm

the fact that we can get out and run should not be taken for granted. middle of the pack, end of the pack or whatever of the pack - how many people that can't run would trade with us in a heartbeat? that's enough perspective - i have intervals to do.

Return to “General Running Discussion”