FRIDAY FRIDAY

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

FRIDAY FRIDAY

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 am

FINALLY Friday -- I know it's been a short week, but just coming off holidays has made the week seem like it went on FOREVER :shock:

Will get in 12 km tonight with some faster (for me :oops: ) paces in there :D

Have a great Friday everyone!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Re: FRIDAY FRIDAY

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:30 am

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/1 ... igh&st=cse

Explains why I enjoy running to Dark Side of the Moon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a black light for beside the treadmill.

"Phys Ed: What Really Causes Runner’s High?
By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS

For decades, endorphins have hogged the credit for producing “runner’s high,” that fleeting sense of euphoria and calm that many people report experiencing after prolonged exercise. Who among us, after an especially satisfying workout, hasn’t thought, “ah, my endorphins are kicking in.” Endorphins are the world’s sole celebrity peptide.
Endorphins first gained notoriety in exercise back in the 1980s when researchers discovered increased blood levels of the substance after prolonged workouts. (Endorphins, for those who know the word but not the molecules’ actual function, are the body’s home-brewed opiates, with receptors and actions much like those of pain-relieving morphine.) Endorphins, however, are composed of relatively large molecules, “which are unable to pass the blood-brain barrier,” said Matthew Hill, a postdoctoral fellow at Rockefeller University in New York. Finding endorphins in the bloodstream after exercise could not, in other words, constitute proof that the substance was having an effect on the mind. So researchers started to look for other candidates to help explain runner’s high. Now an emerging field of neuroscience indicates that an altogether-different neurochemical system within the body and brain, the endocannabinoid system, may be more responsible for that feeling.
In a groundbreaking 2003 experiment, scientists at the Georgia Institute of Technology found that 50 minutes of hard running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bicycle significantly increased blood levels of endocannabinoid molecules in a group of college students. The endocannabinoid system was first mapped some years before that, when scientists set out to determine just how cannabis, a k a marijuana, acts upon the body. They found that a widespread group of receptors, clustered in the brain but also found elsewhere in the body, allow the active ingredient in marijuana to bind to the nervous system and set off reactions that reduce pain and anxiety and produce a floaty, free-form sense of well-being. Even more intriguing, the researchers found that with the right stimuli, the body creates its own cannabinoids (the endocannabinoids). These cannabinoids are composed of molecules known as lipids, which are small enough to cross the blood-brain barrier, so cannabinoids found in the blood after exercise could be affecting the brain.
Since that 2003 study, a flurry of research has been teasing out the role that endocannabinoids play in the body’s reaction to exercise. In some of Dr. Hill’s work, for instance, rats treated with a drug that blocked their endocannabinoid receptors did not experience the increase in new brain cells that usually accompanies running, suggesting that a well-functioning endocannabinoid system may be required for cognitive improvements from exercise. Other researchers have found that endocannabinoids may be what nudge us to tolerate or enjoy exercise in the first place. In an experiment published last year, groups of mice were assigned either to run on wheels or sip a sweetened drink. Running and slurping sugar previously were identified as pleasurable behaviors in animals. Now the researchers saw that both activities lit up and sensitized portions of the animals’ endocannabinoid systems, intimating that the endocannabinoid connection may lend both exercise and dessert their appeal.
But perhaps the most telling experiment was published last year by researchers in France who had bred mice with no functioning endocannabinoid receptors. Mice usually love to run, but the genetically modified animals, given free access to running wheels, ran about half as much as usual. Although the full intricacies of the endocannabinoid system’s role in motivating and rewarding exercise is not yet understood, it seems obvious, the researchers say, that the cannabinoid-deprived mice were not getting some necessary internal message. Typically, the endocannabinoid system “is well known to impact onto central reward networks,” the authors write. Without it, exercise seemed to provide less buzz, and the animals didn’t indulge as much.
Whether this accumulating new science establishes, or ever can establish, definitively, that endocannabinoids are behind runner’s high, is uncertain. As Francis Chaouloff, a researcher at the University of Bordeaux in France and lead author of the genetically modified mouse study, pointed out in an e-mail, rodents, although fine models for studying endocannabinoid action, “do not fill questionnaires to express their feelings related to running,” and runners’ high is a subjective human experience. Still, endocannabinoids are a more persuasive candidate, especially given the overlap between the high associated with marijuana use and descriptions of the euphoria associated with strenuous exercise. One recent review article described them: “pure happiness, elation, a feeling of unity with one’s self and/or nature, endless peacefulness,” and “inner harmony.” Ahhhh."

ETIA (Edited To Include Article)
Last edited by ratherBrunning on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louise

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 am

ratherBrunning wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/phys-ed-what-really-causes-runners-high/?scp=1&sq=runners%20high&st=cse

Explains why I enjoying running to Dark Side of the Moon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a black light for beside the treadmill.

I read that on the weekend but couldn't find a link. Interesting stuff. Explains why ultra-runners like pizza and candy at the aid stations! :wink:

I'm going to run 10k tonight.

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 am

SteveF wrote:
ratherBrunning wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/phys-ed-what-really-causes-runners-high/?scp=1&sq=runners%20high&st=cse

Explains why I enjoying running to Dark Side of the Moon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a black light for beside the treadmill.

I read that on the weekend but couldn't find a link. Interesting stuff. Explains why ultra-runners like pizza and candy at the aid stations! :wink:

I'm going to run 10k tonight.

:lol:
Louise

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 am

Went to the Club for my daily dose of the chair ... A rest day from running on the schedule for me tody ... 8)

From the weather channel this morning, they suggested that the winter storm from the United States may be remaining South of the Border, for the most part, except for London, and those around Southern Ontario ... :shock: :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 am

I ran three times this week. It's been a very very long time since I've done that. :D!

TGIF... !!!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 am

Marg wrote:I ran three times this week. It's been a very very long time since I've done that. :D!

TGIF... !!!

HEY! Me too! Yay for us!

Rest day today, except for the "mental" workout at work.

TGIF, indeed!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 am

Marg wrote:I ran three times this week. It's been a very very long time since I've done that. :D!

TGIF... !!!

:-bd :ar!

In my case, today is my third rest day this week (in past 7 days) ... can't remember the last time that I did that, without being injured / sick ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 am

ratherBrunning wrote:Explains why I enjoy running to Dark Side of the Moon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a black light for beside the treadmill.

I remember near the end of one of my runs quite a while ago, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, from Wish You Were Here came on the ipod and I thought how surprised I was that it was such a good song to run too (not your typical upbeat melody). This might explain it. :wink:

Rest day for me, so guess it will be a Floyd free day. A little physio appointment at lunch.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 am

Strider wrote:
ratherBrunning wrote:Explains why I enjoy running to Dark Side of the Moon. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get a black light for beside the treadmill.

I remember near the end of one of my runs quite a while ago, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, from Wish You Were Here came on the ipod and I thought how surprised I was that it was such a good song to run too (not your typical upbeat melody). This might explain it. :wink:

When I listen to music when I run (which isn't often) I usually go with mellow stuff rather than upbeat stuff. Grateful Dead works best for me, but I do specifically remember one run listening to Roger Waters' "In the Flesh" live album and thinking it was perfect.

Only 5K at recovery pace this morning. Had to keep it short so I coould get home in time for Mrs McD to get out for her run before I had to leave for work.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:38 am

I'm nursing a pain in my hip, so I didn't run last night, rest day today, and will likely rest tomorrow as well.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:59 am

14K in great Feb conditions, -1 with dry sidewalks! A bit windy, but great for the most part!

Now it's snowing like crazy. Glad I got that in!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:04 am

TGIF... !!!

Way to go Marg! That's awesome. Hopefully, the trend will continue. :D

Rest day today for me. I'm still focusing on strength and short runs until I can stabilize my left knee through strength improvements. Hopefully, I can finally get a handle on my ongoing knee and hip issues. I'm starting to feel more positive about it.

Happy Friday Maniacs!
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:09 am

It's really snowy out there.... I'm planning 5k and hoping I don't slip on any black ice. Guppy did 10k for the first time last night, and he was so stoked about doing it in under 60 mins that he called me on his phone from the end of the street during his warm-down, just because he HAD TO TELL SOMEONE. It was great to see him having something to smile about.

And I have a new running-partner-in-the-making: Ruby, the 11-week-old Labradoodle. Apparently, I can't take her on a 5k run until she's close to a year because running with her too early is bad for her joints, but you'd never know it from how she was running in the snow on our "walk" this morning!

We all need a little something positive in our lives, and I need it now more than ever, so, for me, a nutty little puppy is good for the soul.

Deanna
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 am

Deanna, congrats on Ruby! She is so sweet looking - have fun with her :D

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am

a-slow-5 wrote:

TGIF... !!!

HEY! Me too! Yay for us!

Rest day today, except for the "mental" workout at work.

TGIF, indeed!

Yay, Marg & Nancy!

When I left for the gym at 6:15AM it wasn't snowing (and there was nothing new on the ground), but when I left the gym at 8AM it was starting to come down... Snow, snow, stay away! :evil:

Ran 3.7 miles (~6K) in 36 minutes. About 5 minutes into my run my lower legs (from just above my knees to my ankles - basically, whatever skin on my legs was exposed) became really itchy! It was actually quite painful and distracting. :? It eventually subsided, but it took at least 10 minutes to go away. I did have little red marks on my skin, but it didn't really look like a rash, more like just "flushing" skin. Weird.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:42 am

DLS wrote: a nutty little puppy is good for the soul.

Truer words have never been spoken. :wink:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:51 am

Rest day for me today.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:55 am

Trail Child wrote:

She's adorable!

Tae-box at lunchtime and maybe a 25 mins run after work, I'll see how I feel.

Have a good day everyone!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:01 am

DLS wrote:We all need a little something positive in our lives, and I need it now more than ever, so, for me, a nutty little puppy is good for the soul.

Deanna

LOVE this -- what a cute puppy !! Enjoy!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 am

Got up early and ran 2hrs on the treadmill in the garage. Put incline at 7% for the whole run. Watched a movie to keep me company. Getting ready to pack the car and head to TO with my family and see my sis.

Have a great day everyone!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:40 am

10k run commute in the blowing snow. 8)

Trail Child wrote:

+1
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am

Yah! puppy!! awesome DLS!

and Yah! Marg and Nancy!

Last night - got over to the Y and did a run/walk on the treadmill of 5.1k. slowly getting back - all is well. Today - plan to walk home from work - but it's freaking frigid here (currently -26) -so it might be another trip to the Y instead.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:56 am

To the gym!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 am

DLS - wonderful picture & puppy!

Rest day for me - I just realized that, because of bumping around my schedule, I've run the last 10 days straight. No running for me today! Might do some upper body weights at the Y tonight, but I'm going to wait and see how I'm feeling.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Return to “General Running Discussion”