What do you do with your running memorabilia

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

swenard
Percy Williams

What do you do with your running memorabilia

Postby swenard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 pm

I am running my first 5k this weekend am looking forward to running many more races this summer. I would like to save memorabilia from each race and create something interesting with it. I am not even sure what type of stuff I can expect to get from each race, let alone what to do with it. However, I am curious to know what all of the other collectors like to collect and what they do with it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: What do you do with your running memorabilia

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm

medals go in a shadowbox. bibs go in a binder (in those clear plastic page covers, and I write the details of the race on the back of the bib). Tshirts either get worn or given away to the thrift store. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

a cousin of mr seuss decorated 3 walls in his home office with race bibs joined together by safety pins. started with one column but as time went by, it has taken on a life of it's own. looks very cool and the safety pins were a great touch. i think mr seuss is planning to do the same thing in the garage.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

This year my friend designed and helped make a quilt for me with t-shirts from 8 years of runs and dragon boat events (there is a picture in my journal - page 3, I think). Absolutely the best gift ever.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 am

marymac442 wrote:This year my friend designed and helped make a quilt for me with t-shirts from 8 years of runs and dragon boat events (there is a picture in my journal - page 3, I think). Absolutely the best gift ever.

I've seen this quit first hand and I can confirm it is a work of art!

Great idea to place your race bibs in a binder, as for the swag, my first race was a month ago at the Stanley Park St Paddy's day race, how do I place my souvenir glass in the binder? LOL!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:45 am

Metals hanging of a corner of my dresser- some christmas I will decorate the tree with them.

Race shirts in a bin- some day I will sew a quit.

Bibs all over the place... Found one in the medicine drawer today. Some are pinned up in front of the treadmill- only the ones from memberable races or numbers like 666 or 169.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 am

With the exception of my Boston Marathon medal (which is on a little display shelf in our kitchen/sitting area along with other non-running stuff) I take all the ribbons off the medals and have them in an onyx bowl on our counter in the same kitchen/sitting area. Keeps all the medals together...and I find that often guests "paw" through the bowl and ask about a particular race.

Bibs.....I kept my Boston Bib...and the three Relay races where our team name is on the bib...thowing a bib away that says..."Two Frogs and a Crabby Broad" ...can't do it :lol: :lol:
Other bibs have been tossed.

T-shirts...wear them or donate them.

I'm not much into "collection mode" these days. I had a Virgin Mary collection that simply got out of control...so I'm reluctant to start another one :lol: :lol:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 am

Every year, I throw away most of that year. If I keep anything, it usually goes when I move (which seems to be every few years).
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 am

I am not a big keeper of running memorabilia so I don't have any of my race bibs. I did put my first 1/2 marathon medal in a shadow box (that is sitting on the floor in the closet). My son actually likes to keep my medals and play with them. A lot of them are in his toy box. I had thought recently of ordering a Marathon sport hook and I could hang my medals up by the treadmill: http://heavymedalz.com/catalog.html.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:11 am

I staple my bib to the race results (complete for a shorter race, my page for the big ones because they are too long) and keep them in a binder. My medals go on a hookin my room but I'm changing that, as there are too many now for one hook. They have some great running hooks for sale but they are expensive so I'm thinking mabe a double towel bar instead to hang them on.

I use a permanent marker to write on the back of each medal my time and placements of the race too.

My daughter used to keep my medals too. But now that she's earned a few of her own (in her 1K's), she's given mine back lol.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 am

Annelizabeth wrote:Metals hanging of a corner of my dresser- some christmas I will decorate the tree with them.

I actually did this with my medals this year - took off the ribbons and hung them on the Christmas tree. It was MrBG1's suggestion, so I can't claim originality on that. It looked great! All my medals and some of my bibs were just sitting in various boxes in the basement, so it was nice to do something useful with them.

All my old cotton race shirts have likely ended up in a landfill (or Goodwill near you!), except for some that I still wear to sleep in or after a run, etc. Most recent races have tech shirts and I don't think they'd make very nice quilts. I'm not really a quilt person anyway.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 am

I keep them all - and the bibs are taped to the unfinished basement walls and the medals are hanging on nails down there too.

The more recent/cherished ones (IMC, Dave's Boston medal, IMWA) are sitting on the fireplace.

And i'm actually wearing one today - from the Nike's Womens Marathon last year - the two Tiffany necklaces I've received from running the half and then full are worn often.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

swenard
Percy Williams

Postby swenard » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am

Robinandamelia wrote:
I use a permanent marker to write on the back of each medal my time and placements of the race too.

My daughter used to keep my medals too. But now that she's earned a few of her own (in her 1K's), she's given mine back lol.

I like the idea of writing the results on the medal! Good idea. I also have a feeling that my daughter will end up wanting to play with my medals and they will never actually end up organized.

I've never collected anything except for trophies and trophies are just dust collectors, lol.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 am

I keep the bibs in a binder but do nothing with them.

We now have our personal wall of fame at our house. The top row are my medals bottom are my husband's. We need to add some nails since my last 3 medals are standing on the same nail!

I really like decorating the Christmas tree idea!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 am

The bibs from my most memorable races and medals are hanging in the office. All other medals are on a shelf on the bookshelf and all other bibs have been recycled.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

I was going to do a scrapbook and just started it, after four years of racing, but goodness it takes a lot of work. I'll likely finish what I started, but not do it again. If we finish the basement, wallpapering the walls with bibs would work for me.

I always take pictures, so I need a place for those.

Mine and Double BellyBuster's medals are hanging on separate shelves we had built by the Woodman - it has a shelf so you can put trophies or a shadow box on top and then about 6 pegs for the medals. Cost about $20 each and fits our space perfectly.

First marathon is framed. They gave me an extra medal, so I technically have two. The original one, however, is hanging up with all the others. That one was too special to ship off for framing and get potentially lost.

Before the scrapbook, the bibs, with race stats on the back, were hanging on a peg.

I took like the Christmas tree idea.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Some days I like to put on a track suit, wear all my medals and wander around downtown shouting 'I pity the fool' and 'quit your jibber jabber'. Its good for a chuckle.

I have all my bibs saved in order and I'm not sure what to do next - scrapbook?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Dr. S wrote:We now have our personal wall of fame at our house. The top row are my medals bottom are my husband's. We need to add some nails since my last 3 medals are standing on the same nail!

I love this....just the kind of thing I want!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

For my very first race, I threw away my bib. :doh: In my 2nd, 3rd and 4th race, I threw away my bibs. :doh: :doh: :doh: In my 5th race I got a medal so I starting saving everything.

Now they're all stuffed in my closet somewhere. :doh:

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Tori wrote:I am not a big keeper of running memorabilia so I don't have any of my race bibs. I did put my first 1/2 marathon medal in a shadow box (that is sitting on the floor in the closet). My son actually likes to keep my medals and play with them. A lot of them are in his toy box. I had thought recently of ordering a Marathon sport hook and I could hang my medals up by the treadmill: http://heavymedalz.com/catalog.html.

Those hooks are cool! CinC order these for the finished basement please! :lol:

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

I'd been toying with the idea of a medal display for the basement workout area, and finally told the family it's what "you're buying me for my birthday". 8)

I just started working with Joel at Allied Medal Displays http://www.alliedmedaldisplays.com/ on a custom hanger. I wanted my own wording and icon, and in less than a day, the design is almost complete! Their website has what I consider the basic designs, but the Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Allied-Running-Medal-Hangers/162015888492 gives examples of the completed customs.

In terms of the bibs, my kids love putting them on and racing around the house or yard. Keeps them happy, and out of trouble :wink:

bunsontherun
Bill Crothers

Postby bunsontherun » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 pm

All my medals hang on a post that is part of the ornamental railing between my living room and dining room. All my bibs I put into those photo magnetic sheets and keep in a binder with the entry form on one side and the bib on the other side. Any additional information, such as the race programme, results, any photos, etc, I punch 3 holes or put in a document protector that also goes in the binder. Now that is me, but I have also been accused of being a hoarder.
Professional Hugger.

Next Up: Other races!!!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 pm

bunsontherun wrote:... I have also been accused of being a hoarder.

No, you were accused of being a hugger.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re:

Postby Stampie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 am

turd ferguson wrote:Some days I like to put on a track suit, wear all my medals and wander around downtown shouting 'I pity the fool' and 'quit your jibber jabber'. Its good for a chuckle.

You will need to get your hair cut to get the true effect!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Re:

Postby seuss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 am

stampie wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:Some days I like to put on a track suit, wear all my medals and wander around downtown shouting 'I pity the fool' and 'quit your jibber jabber'. Its good for a chuckle.

You will need to get your hair cut to get the true effect!

good thing there are races with belt buckles!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Return to “General Running Discussion”