Trackpad or flat routes in North Vancouver

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 pm

I will spend the next couple of days in North Vancouver near Mt. Seymour. Any suggestion for a flat running route or a track nearby?
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Trackpad or flat routes in North Vancouver

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am

Bebette wrote:I will spend the next couple of days in North Vancouver near Mt. Seymour. Any suggestion for a flat running route or a track nearby?

there's no such thing as flat in North Van, except right on a track. :)

I'm not aware of tracks in that area... which doesn't mean there aren't any, but I just haven't been to any. Windsor High School is at 931 Broadview Drive (just off of Mount Seymour Parkway) but their website doesn't seem to indicate whether or not they have a track.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 pm

I hunted down a track during a spring visit to Vancouver. I ended up googling websites for local track teams and they usually have a list of tracks on the webpage. I went to the one at the Minoru Aquatic Centre in Richmond.
Carm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:44 pm

carm wrote:I hunted down a track during a spring visit to Vancouver. I ended up googling websites for local track teams and they usually have a list of tracks on the webpage. I went to the one at the Minoru Aquatic Centre in Richmond.

There are several tracks in the city of Vancouver which would be closer than Minoru in Richmond. I can recommend one of those-- I just don't know of any in North Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure Holly has gone to one in North Van but it's not near Mt Seymour- in the lower Lonsdale area.

No really flat routes in the area near Mt Seymour, but if you can make your way down to Ambleside Park along the water, that's a really nice place to run (although not all that long on the path along the water).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Jwolf wrote:
carm wrote:I hunted down a track during a spring visit to Vancouver. I ended up googling websites for local track teams and they usually have a list of tracks on the webpage. I went to the one at the Minoru Aquatic Centre in Richmond.

There are several tracks in the city of Vancouver which would be closer than Minoru in Richmond. I can recommend one of those-- I just don't know of any in North Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure Holly has gone to one in North Van but it's not near Mt Seymour- in the lower Lonsdale area.

No really flat routes in the area near Mt Seymour, but if you can make your way down to Ambleside Park along the water, that's a really nice place to run (although not all that long on the path along the water).

there isn't one in lower lonsdale.

I've used three; the closest to Seymour would be the one at Sutherland School. It's just off of Grand Blvd, at 19th Street. The other two are further west. Sutherland would be quite easy/quick to get to if you have a car.

eta: oh and there is one on 23rd, just east of Lonsdale but it's not standard size.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks everyone for your input. According to our friends' son there is a dirt track around the football field at Windsor Secondary. This should do the trick for tomorrow's run. I want to run on terrain that mimics the flat Toronto Waterfront Trail where i usually run my temo runs.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:14 am

OR you could take advantage of the location and hit some of the awesome trails on lower seymour. :) it's a shame to be right here and then only run on a track.

(ps: welcome to paradise!! :)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:25 am

You are right Holly! The trail system is fantastic. We did a 2h walk in the trail closest to our friends' house the last time we were here. They live about 5 min frim the entrance to the trail...

I have an easy run schedule for tomorrow. I will definitively hit the trails for this one.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:

Return to “General Running Discussion”