Boston Registration

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Boston Registration

Postby kaybee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:59 am

It's approaching! I won't be running it in 2012 but I know that some people here did qualify (yay!). Congratulations again!

I know there is doubt about how fast it will fill up but that's not going to stop you from registering and it shouldn't!

I know that if I had qualified I would have my registration date in my calendar but, just in case you haven't seen it, here is a handy little calculator from the BAA website that tells you when you can first register.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-maratho ... lator.aspx

Good luck to you all! Let us know how it goes. I don't post often but I am on here quite a bit following things. I am crossing my fingers for you all.

Karen

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Boston Registration

Postby purdy65 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I have September 19 marked on my calendar!

Fingers crossed that registration is still open at that point!

I know it's not first come first serve that week, but I'll probably still register early if it's open.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 am

purdy65 wrote:I have September 19 marked on my calendar!

I know it's not first come first serve that week, but I'll probably still register early if it's open.

Ditto that!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 am

Robinandamelia wrote:
purdy65 wrote:I have September 19 marked on my calendar!

Ditto that!

Ditto +1

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 am

I have a September 14th date. BQ -18
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:33 am

With Goofy Challenge and NYC Marathon already guaranteed for 2012 ... and, my itty bitty 38 second BQ ... I don't think that I am even going to bother to attempt to register ... :? :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:38 am

while the realist side of me if fairly certain that registration will be full before my reg date (Sept. 19th) I am going to be keeping an eye on things. A girl can dream right?

Good luck to everyone else. Hoping to see lots of Maniacs heading to Boston next spring.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 am

r4l wrote:while the realist side of me if fairly certain that registration will be full before my reg date (Sept. 19th) I am going to be keeping an eye on things. A girl can dream right?

Good luck to everyone else. Hoping to see lots of Maniacs heading to Boston next spring.

I thought you were coming to Ottawa in May, Cheryl ??? :shifty: :wink: :pray: :pray: :pray:

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

HCcD wrote:
r4l wrote:while the realist side of me if fairly certain that registration will be full before my reg date (Sept. 19th) I am going to be keeping an eye on things. A girl can dream right?

I thought you were coming to Ottawa in May, Cheryl ??? :shifty: :wink: :pray: :pray: :pray:

we shall see,,,,, we shall see,,,,,, think I could knock 5 mins off my time in Ottawa :shifty: ?
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am

r4l wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Yes, I will,,,,, Yes, I will,,,,,, I would knock 5 mins off my time in Ottawa :shifty: ?

fixed that for ya !! :shifty: :wink:

Heck, I could even pace you for a 3:40:xx - 3:45:xx :shifty: :wink:
Last edited by HCcD on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Registration

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 am

It will be interesting to see how registration goes and when it fills.
My guess is it won't be full by Sept 19 and they'll make the cutoff after the registrations come in that week.

I'll be watching keenly and hoping I'm in shape to train for 3:50-3:55 for the new BQ times...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 am

HCcD wrote:
r4l wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Yes, I will,,,,, Yes, I will,,,,,, I would knock 5 mins off my time in Ottawa :shifty: ?

fixed that for ya !! :shifty: :wink:

Heck, I could even pace you for a 3:40:xx - 3:45:xx :shifty: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: What are you going to piggy back me the entire way :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 pm

"If space remains after the first week of registration, you may submit your qualifying and registration information beginning Monday, September 19, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. ET, and continuing until Friday, September 23, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. ET."

I can't see myself registering. I'm not running and heavy.....what a waste...I'm sure I'll get another chance.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm

mcshame wrote:"If space remains after the first week of registration, you may submit your qualifying and registration information beginning Monday, September 19, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. ET, and continuing until Friday, September 23, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. ET."

I can't see myself registering. I'm not running and heavy.....what a waste...I'm sure I'll get another chance.

But if you got in, wouldn't that be good motivation to get training? You'd still have 7 months to get in shape.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm

La wrote:
mcshame wrote:"If space remains after the first week of registration, you may submit your qualifying and registration information beginning Monday, September 19, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. ET, and continuing until Friday, September 23, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. ET."

But if you got in, wouldn't that be good motivation to get training? You'd still have 7 months to get in shape.

Yah, I could. But I'm also thinking of the things my 3 kids are getting into this winter and that Michelle will be starting working...I'm not thinking the timing is right. Not to mention I won't likelybe able to register anyway!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

mcshame wrote:
La wrote:

Yah, I could. But I'm also thinking of the things my 3 kids are getting into this winter and that Michelle will be starting working...I'm not thinking the timing is right. Not to mention I won't likelybe able to register anyway!

Worry about the logistics if/when you get in. If it's important enough, you'll figure out a way to make it (and everything else) happen.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm

La wrote:Worry about the logistics if/when you get in. If it's important enough, you'll figure out a way to make it (and everything else) happen.

+1

Especially since you live within driving distance. Funny how even though driving is super-inconvenient, the fact that it's an option always gives me confidence that everything will work out.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
La wrote:Worry about the logistics if/when you get in. If it's important enough, you'll figure out a way to make it (and everything else) happen.

+1

Especially since you live within driving distance. Funny how even though driving is super-inconvenient, the fact that it's an option always gives me confidence that everything will work out.

Not worried about the actual weekend, thinking of the time commitment for marathon training with hockey, irish dancing, skating , tournaments, feis', 2 parents working for the 1st time, homework, etc...followed by Bye, I'm off for my 3 hour run.
Don't thing this winter would be a good year for family sacrifice (selfish) pursuits. Anyhow, we'll see

Edward
Tom Longboat

Postby Edward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:18 pm

McShame,

Do you remember how happy you were when you finished in Niagara? That feeling that you qualified and were going to Boston? We tend to easily forget how much work we put in GETTING that BQ.

Register, train when you can, go to the race, jog it for fun if you have to, kiss the girls at the college 8) , get that medal. Boston is an unbelievable race, one that is not to be missed. The whole experience is something else. Don't worry about the future, things will sort themselves out. You may regret it otherwise down the line.

Just my two cents.
Edward

January 2012- New Year`s Day Marathon and Run4Rkids 6 Hour Ultra
February 2012 - Melbourne Beach Marathon
March 2012 - Around the Bay
April 2012 - Paris to Ancaster Cycling Race and the "No Wimp" Challenge 21k and 50 k in Michigan
May 2012 - Sulphur Springs 50 k
June 2012 - Niagara 100 k -first ever DNF
July 2012 - Badwater Ultramarathon (crew member)
August 2012 - Beast of Burden 50 Miler
September 2012 - Run for Heros Marathon
October 2012 - Vulture Bait 50 k
November 2012 - Road2Hope Marathon and JFK 50 Miler
December 2012 - Have to find a race to make it an even dozen.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Edward wrote:McShame,

Do you remember how happy you were when you finished in Niagara? That feeling that you qualified and were going to Boston? We tend to easily forget how much work we put in GETTING that BQ.

Register, train when you can, go to the race, jog it for fun if you have to, kiss the girls at the college 8) , get that medal. Boston is an unbelievable race, one that is not to be missed. The whole experience is something else. Don't worry about the future, things will sort themselves out. You may regret it otherwise down the line.

Just my two cents.

I agree.
I had a terrible clock time in Boston because of an unanticipated accident 10 days pre race...but wow...I am so glad I went.
I hope you do try and register...and hope even more that you get in! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:43 pm

"I did it!! I'm goin' to the show!!"
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:09 pm

love love love that photo.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Scotia Half - June 25th
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Can we put this to a vote?

I did Vegas on virtually no training because of my daughter's birth and ICU trip (OMG, that was FOUR YEARS AGO). If anything being underprepared allowed me to enjoy the experience - there was no pressure to perform, I hung around at the expo, went out for a couple of beers the day before the race, tried to get Andy even more high-strung, went to the Star Trek Experience the night before the race.

I say if you can get in, go do it. Train a bare minimum and take the opportunity to take it all in, kiss every coed on the course, take photos, enjoy the experience.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

LadyVo2
Johnny Miles

Postby LadyVo2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey McShame,
As one who has qualified for Boston just once, who will most likely never qualify again and who ran Boston in 2012(with a lousy time: 4:44, but that is another story :| ), I have to add my voice to the chorus...
what have you got to lose...you register...you may or may not get in
if you don't get in, you will know that you at least tried - no harm done
if you do get in, you still have 6 months to figure out and decide what you want to do...
training for Boston - well, that part is not easy, but it is special...and running Boston is special too
so you have some weight to lose - can't be worse than some participants in Biggest Losers who did run the race - of course, you are a competitive guy, a great runner and want to run at your best - but whatever your best is on April 2012, that is what you can give...and it will be worth it
Go for it!
AKA Lady V
Races in 2013:
Course populaire Lasalle - registered, Not done
Scotia 21.1K Montreal - registered, Not done
My first race sine April 2012: Defi Gerard Coté - May 2013 - 5K - 25:41
Others to be added

KBO
Ben Johnson

Boston Registration

Postby KBO » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:51 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Can we put this to a vote?

I did Vegas on virtually no training because of my daughter's birth and ICU trip (OMG, that was FOUR YEARS AGO). If anything being underprepared allowed me to enjoy the experience - there was no pressure to perform, I hung around at the expo, went out for a couple of beers the day before the race, tried to get Andy even more high-strung, went to the Star Trek Experience the night before the race.

I say if you can get in, go do it. Train a bare minimum and take the opportunity to take it all in, kiss every coed on the course, take photos, enjoy the experience.

Yes four years ago... Seems like yesterday. Running and friends make for good memories.

Return to “General Running Discussion”