Around the Bay 30K & Relays SOLD OUT

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

carm
Bill Crothers

Around the Bay 30K & Relays SOLD OUT

Postby carm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm

Boo, the Around the Bay 2 person relay is sold out already! I was planning on doing this as a training run (15K + extra 5K) with my best friend in Toronto in preparation for Ottawa Marathon (my first). My tentative plan is to maintain LSDs of 10-14K for the next couple of months (I need an off-season after half-ironman training this summer) and then slowly ramp up for the marathon in January/February, running 4x/week plus a couple of days of cross-training/strength etc. The plan that I'm planning on following has me doing a 32K LSD in early May and then heading into taper.

A question for all of you who have done ATB before. Is the full 30K do-able as prep for Ottawa or is it too much too soon? It's 7 weeks out from Ottawa. What is your max distance leading up to ATB? Somewhere around 25K, including some hill work?

UPDATE:
Effective January 20th, the 30K run/walk is also sold out but folks always try to sell their bibs closer to the date.
Last edited by carm on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Re: Around the Bay 30K 2 person relay SOLD OUT

Postby jes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm

carm wrote:Boo, the Around the Bay 2 person relay is sold out already! I was planning on doing this as a training run (15K + extra 5K) with my best friend in Toronto in preparation for Ottawa Marathon (my first). My tentative plan is to maintain LSDs of 10-14K for the next couple of months (I need an off-season after half-ironman training this summer) and then slowly ramp up for the marathon in January/February, running 4x/week plus a couple of days of cross-training/strength etc. The plan that I'm planning on following has me doing a 32K LSD in early May and then heading into taper.

A question for all of you who have done ATB before. Is the full 30K do-able as prep for Ottawa or is it too much too soon? It's 7 weeks out from Ottawa. What is your max distance leading up to ATB? Somewhere around 25K, including some hill work?

Seriously? That's crazy!!

Many people doing a spring full will do ATB as a training run/race. I did it before my first. I was using the RR plan then, which I think had 26k scheduled for that weekend. A max distance of 25k before ATB is doable if you're running it as an LSD (i.e., I wouldn't try to race it)

Are you sure your plan only has one 32k run before Ottawa? What plan is it?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

jes wrote:Many people doing a spring full will do ATB as a training run/race. I did it before my first. I was using the RR plan then, which I think had 26k scheduled for that weekend. A max distance of 25k before ATB is doable if you're running it as an LSD (i.e., I wouldn't try to race it)

Are you sure your plan only has one 32k run before Ottawa? What plan is it?

It's the first-timer plan on a local run club website. I imagine that it's fairly conservative since the goal is to have the person complete the marathon uninjured. There is also an intermediate one for people with a time goal in mind, which has a 25K run scheduled on ATB weekend and more speedwork. I'm not sure which one I should follow yet or whether I should just do a hybrid of the plans that I've seen so far.

As for the full ATB, if I do it, it would definitely be an LSD.
Last edited by carm on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carm

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:57 pm

No, ATB is often most people's Spring marathon check point. Because of the hilly last 10k, its a good test - add an hour to your ATB time - as an indication of your marathon performance. Any last min training can go in there in April.

Ah hell, I signed up for the full just so I don't miss the boat. People are crazy signing up so fast. You used to be able to sign up in Feb or March even.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Last year it became evident that blocks of relay spots were bought up by companies that then sold spots in their clinics that included an entry. So if you wanted an entry you could get one by signing up for their clinics.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:30 am

Carm, I'm hoping to do the bus trip again this year...Jess, AndyM and I did it a few years ago and it was a blast. I think the signup for that is in the next month or so, if you're interested.

IMHO, a plan with one 32k run will get you to the finish line, but I think you're capable of a lot more than just getting there. You have a really good base with your half IM training....you just need to keep your long run base. Personally, I'd work at least a few 20k runs in over the next two months to give you a good starting point in January. There are a lot of good plans out there, and you've got time to shop around. Maybe a thread with a separate title here would get you some good suggestions.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:41 am

carm wrote:Boo, the Around the Bay 2 person relay is sold out already! I was planning on doing this as a training run (15K + extra 5K) with my best friend in Toronto in preparation for Ottawa Marathon (my first). My tentative plan is to maintain LSDs of 10-14K for the next couple of months (I need an off-season after half-ironman training this summer) and then slowly ramp up for the marathon in January/February, running 4x/week plus a couple of days of cross-training/strength etc. The plan that I'm planning on following has me doing a 32K LSD in early May and then heading into taper.

So, umm, since you were planning on running 20K anyways, why not just run the first two legs of the 3 person relay? or, the last 2 legs? :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 am

I did ATB before my first marathon in Ottawa, and that was back when the ORW was two weeks earlier. I think seven weeks out is perfect timing. I'll be doing it again in 2012 in prep for my London marathon four weeks later.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:30 am

I think it's a great training run for a spring marathon. I did it last year before Ottawa and the year before Mississauga (15th) and it was fine. Plan on doing it this year too, in prep for Boston, which is only 3 weeks away.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I think it's a great training run for a spring marathon. I did it last year before Ottawa and the year before Mississauga (15th) and it was fine. Plan on doing it this year too, in prep for Boston, which is only 3 weeks away.

Me too! I will need to run it as a slower training run though. For some reason, (guessing the hills) ATB takes me longer than a hard run marathon to recover from, so I want to be careful.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I think it's a great training run for a spring marathon. I did it last year before Ottawa and the year before Mississauga (15th) and it was fine. Plan on doing it this year too, in prep for Boston, which is only 3 weeks away.

If I recall, ATB usually falls around the same time as the first 30K-32K lsd run for the RR Clinics that are training for ORW ... :think: :think: :think:

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 am

purdy65 wrote:

Me too! I will need to run it as a slower training run though. For some reason, (guessing the hills) ATB takes me longer than a hard run marathon to recover from, so I want to be careful.

+1
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 am

jes wrote:Carm, I'm hoping to do the bus trip again this year...Jess, AndyM and I did it a few years ago and it was a blast. I think the signup for that is in the next month or so, if you're interested.

IMHO, a plan with one 32k run will get you to the finish line, but I think you're capable of a lot more than just getting there. You have a really good base with your half IM training....you just need to keep your long run base. Personally, I'd work at least a few 20k runs in over the next two months to give you a good starting point in January. There are a lot of good plans out there, and you've got time to shop around. Maybe a thread with a separate title here would get you some good suggestions.

Does the bus trip involve accommodations too? I probably wouldn't need them since my friend lives in West Oakville and lives pretty close to the start. I was planning on flying using Air Miles but if a big gang of Maniacs is taking the bus, it might be fun.

I think that you're right, jes. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world to complete a program where I strive to just complete the marathon, I have higher standards for myself and would want to race it to the best of my ability. Based on your feedback on the K2J clinic, I may go with that route afterall, although I will need buddies to do my Sunday LSD's with! I've decided to put the triathlon goals on the back-burner and just bike and swim for fun. That simplifies things a lot and will allow me to focus on my marathon.

Andy: My friend wanted the challenge of doing the last 15K of the course so she probably wouldn't want to do only 10K of the 3p relay.

Looks like I will probably be doing the full ATB! :)
Carm

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:33 am

carm wrote:
jes wrote:Carm, I'm hoping to do the bus trip again this year...Jess, AndyM and I did it a few years ago and it was a blast. I think the signup for that is in the next month or so, if you're interested.

Does the bus trip involve accommodations too? I probably wouldn't need them since my friend lives in West Oakville and lives pretty close to the start.

I think that you're right, jes. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world to complete a program where I strive to just complete the marathon, I have higher standards for myself and would want to race it to the best of my ability. Based on your feedback on the K2J clinic, I may go with that route afterall, although I will need buddies to do my Sunday LSD's with! I've decided to put the triathlon goals on the back-burner and just bike and swim for fun. That simplifies things a lot and will allow me to focus on my marathon.

Andy: My friend wanted the challenge of doing the last 15K of the course so she probably wouldn't want to do only 10K of the 3p relay.

It is a bus/hotel package, based on double occupancy rate .... we've had two bus loads the past several years ... having said that ... if there are any open seats left at the end, and, if you ask the Orangizer nicely, they may offer a Bus Only option ..... :wink:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 am

carm wrote:
Does the bus trip involve accommodations too? I probably wouldn't need them since my friend lives in West Oakville and lives pretty close to the start. I was planning on flying using Air Miles but if a big gang of Maniacs is taking the bus, it might be fun.

Yes, the bus trip includes hotel. Andy, do you know when the email will be sent with the details?

I'm going to be training for Ottawa too, so we can hook up for runs whenever. Marg says she'll run up to 25k (but not a step further), so she'll likely be in for some too.

I think you'll like the K2J group. You'll find the speedwork really beneficial for sure! Their ATB clinic starts mid January....

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 am

jes wrote:
carm wrote:

Yes, the bus trip includes hotel. Andy, do you know when the email will be sent with the details?

I'm going to be training for Ottawa too, so we can hook up for runs whenever. Marg says she'll run up to 25k (but not a step further), so she'll likely be in for some too.

I think you'll like the K2J group. You'll find the speedwork really beneficial for sure! Their ATB clinic starts mid January....

Details on their website .... http://www.inawire.com/atb/

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 am

jes wrote:I'm going to be training for Ottawa too, so we can hook up for runs whenever. Marg says she'll run up to 25k (but not a step further), so she'll likely be in for some too.

That's great, jes. I would love to run with you and Marg. I sent Judy an email to touch base about the clinic but I will likely be registering. Now I wish that they would get a move-on with that bridge.
Carm

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:01 pm

:( This is something I was hoping to do with my best friend. We would've had to have some kind of ridiculous contest to determine who would do the hilly part- would've been a good excuse to do something stupid. :lol:

This is just way too early to be committing to something in the winter, so in all likelihood, I'm out. I won't do the Chilly Half for the same reason.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:54 am

Email just sent out from the Organizer ....

There are limited single occupancy rates / options and seats ONLY available, though you would need to contact Ross directly, as his bus(es) are based on rooms, etc ... I usually stick with single rate occupancy, as I do not sleep well the night before a race ... so, there should be at least one or several bus tickets available ... :shifty: :wink:

Recommendation is to register for ATB Race, sooner than later ...

f your interested in 'The 2012 Around the Bay bus trip', I'm now taking registrations.
Note: Please register for the race ASAP.

You can get all the details about the bus trip on my website:
http://www.inawire.com/atb/
Please download the PDF form <http://www.inawire.com/atb/118thAroundTheBayBusTrip_2012.pdf> and mail one copy per person to me with your cheque.
Please post date your cheques for Jan 10th, 2012 (note the year!)
I'll send two reminders to all registered before I cash them :) so you don't need to worry about reconcieling your cheque book (for those who do).

If you have questions, please email me at ross@inawire.com <mailto:ross@inawire.com?subject=ATB%20Question&amp;body=I%20have%20a%20question%3A> with the subject line ATB Question

Regards
Ross MacLachlan

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for starting this thread and getting my butt in gear to register. Done! This will be the 6th year in a row.

IMHO, it's a great training run/fitness test for a spring marathon. Three weeks out from Boston is perfect timing, and it's also well-positioned for ORW training. In fact, it was doing ATB for the first time in 2007 that convinced me I was ready to do my first marathon in Ottawa that May. Last year I ran ATB four weeks out from Vancouver and that also worked out very well.

See you all there! Love meeting up in Copps after the race :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:01 am

I just registered for the 30K run. Didn't want to forget and miss out.

My spring race season is now set: Chilly Half, ATB 30K, London Marathon.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:Thanks for starting this thread and getting my butt in gear to register. Done! This will be the 6th year in a row.

IMHO, it's a great training run/fitness test for a spring marathon. Three weeks out from Boston is perfect timing, and it's also well-positioned for ORW training. In fact, it was doing ATB for the first time in 2007 that convinced me I was ready to do my first marathon in Ottawa that May. Last year I ran ATB four weeks out from Vancouver and that also worked out very well.

See you all there! Love meeting up in Copps after the race :)

Just registered, as well .. via the RR site, as it was $0.50 cheaper to register with them w/online fees, but got a $10.00 gift certificate back ... :shifty:

So, you gonna pace me to a sub 2:20:xx this time around, JB ??? :shifty: :P

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:34 am

I was thinking of going for Sub 2 but that's probably pretty difficult... (2:11 guy)

Maybe I should aim for a 2:05 first.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:45 am

ahhh I walking the fence on this one.
Kinda hate the race, but like hanging out there.
Was going to do two person with nonrunnerhusband.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:48 am

QuickChick wrote::( This is something I was hoping to do with my best friend. We would've had to have some kind of ridiculous contest to determine who would do the hilly part- would've been a good excuse to do something stupid. :lol:

This is just way too early to be committing to something in the winter, so in all likelihood, I'm out. I won't do the Chilly Half for the same reason.

I thought we were your Best Friends, Lisa ... :shifty: :wink: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is your no longer than 2 hour training / races policy, still in effect for 2012 ?? :? :wink:

Return to “General Running Discussion”