Ottawa Group Run This Weekend- Lac Phillipe

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Ottawa Group Run This Weekend- Lac Phillipe

Postby dgrant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Just putting it out there to see if anyone would be interested... The snowshoe trails are well marked in that sector of the park and they make a fun (very easy) trail run from the P19 parking lot. (Winter gates are closed, so you can't get closer to the beach than that.) I go out there once in a while... it's a pretty neat environment to see a gorgeously barren area where you're used to seeing huge summertime crowds. Totally silent, gorgeous lake, the geese have been gone long enough that their poop was mostly gone (as of yesterday).

I don't know... might be fun to get a group going (hopefully with carpooling) for intro-difficulty trail running until the snow flies... then continue the same route with running snowshoes. I made a rocket stove that boils water/milk in minutes for hot chocolate, just sayin'!

This Saturday? Sunday? Anyone?

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Re: Ottawa Group Run This Weekend- Lac Phillipe

Postby Tori » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Can't this weekend but will definitely want to go over this winter again. A few of us had some great adventures up there last winter sliding down the trails on our butts. :lol: So I am sure you will be able to recruit some people to run with again (cough cough Marg, Sherry, Carrie).

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Drats -- I can't this weekend either, but if you plan on doing this next Sat, I'd be all over that, for sure.....

Keep us posted!!!! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 pm

This weekend is bad for us too, but I could be a strong maybe for next Saturday :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Okay, maybe next Saturday, weather permitting. The cool thing about running along the (soon to be) snowshoe route there is it skirts the lake for a couple kilometres. No services other than the outhouses, but of course Wakefield is virtually around the corner from P19 as well.

For those interested, the Gatineau Park parkways are closed now for the winter, so until the snow comes you can log an ultramarathon's worth of running on pristine, car-free asphalt too. Such a gem!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 pm

I'll keep an eye on this thread this upcoming week -- sounds like good fun!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

I will keep looking too to see what's happening. I could be a "maybe" for either weekend. Good idea!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am

Love the idea, but I find the Drive to and from P19, from Kanata a little too long. I like running Wolf, or from P15 (SS trails 70,71,72) in the winter. Let you know when I am heading there. Come on snow.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:50 am

Strider wrote:Love the idea, but I find the Drive to and from P19, from Kanata a little too long. I like running Wolf, or from P15 (SS trails 70,71,72) in the winter. Let you know when I am heading there. Come on snow.

How far is it? I have no idea!

AndyM, if you're in, we should car pool!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:57 am

Winter Trail Map

Best to do a "Right-Click" "Save As" and then open it. Better for zooming and scrolling.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks Dave.

I can't find P19 on the map though. What is it near on the map?

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

I'm a maybe for next weekend too.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:45 am

jes wrote:Thanks Dave.

I can't find P19 on the map though. What is it near on the map?

The P's are hard to read, you really have to zoom in. P19 is at the left side of Lac Philippe, which is on the Left of centre side of the map, so basically on the look/pan/zoom centre left :)

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

Wow, that is crazy far away! Dave, I suggest something closer for those of us already coming from the boonies.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:43 am

jes wrote:Wow, that is crazy far away! Dave, I suggest something closer for those of us already coming from the boonies.

Dave's P15 suggestion is a good one (about 15min less driving each way than P19), and Wolf Trail is a gem (but holy moly, people can snowshoe that? Whoa!). With the interior parkways closed for the winter, everything at Gatineau Park is a bit farther to access than usual.

For you west end Boonhemians, there's a snowshoeing at Stony Swamp as well. I'd be happy to explore those trails!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am

dgrant wrote:
jes wrote:Wow, that is crazy far away! Dave, I suggest something closer for those of us already coming from the boonies.

Dave's P15 suggestion is a good one (about 15min less driving each way than P19), and Wolf Trail is a gem (but holy moly, people can snowshoe that? Whoa!). With the interior parkways closed for the winter, everything at Gatineau Park is a bit farther to access than usual.

For you west end Boonhemians, there's a snowshoeing at Stony Swamp as well. I'd be happy to explore those trails!

Ah whatever. If I'm already out, I might as well make a day of it :D Whatever the masses decide on is ok with me :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:36 am

jes wrote:
dgrant wrote:

Ah whatever. If I'm already out, I might as well make a day of it :D Whatever the masses decide on is ok with me :lol:

Also, will be keeping my eyes on this .. though, have my final back-to-back lsd runs next weekend, unfortunately ...

And, perhaps, after 2+ years, I may actually get to use my Dion's this winter .. :pray: :pray: :pray: Or, at least, unwrap them .. :shock: :lol: :wink: :? :oops: :oops: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Wolf trail is very snow shoeable in the winter, It is actually better than summer. I've done up to 4 loops, the downhills are a hoot.

Trails (70,71,72) from P15 are hands down my favourite in the area for snowshoeing.

If you want something fun but not too long Sugarbush loops and 60/61 from the visitors centre are a great early season option.

I haven't tried Stony Swamp for snowshoeing (run through there a lot in the summer), but have done Pine Grove and 50/51/52 at the end of Walkley (stupid close to work)

of course all this needs snow which we haven't got, so at this point it would just be a trail run.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm totally interested (running or snowshoeing) but am losing track of what is being decided in the way of date ...
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Keep me posted on what gets planned! I'm more of a snowshoeing walker than a runner, but do hope to get out there this winter!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Trail Child wrote:I'm totally interested (running or snowshoeing) but am losing track of what is being decided in the way of date ...

I think we're now looking at next Saturday (?)

And I'm more of a runner. Period. I have snowshoes, but I'd rather go for a run :D

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:50 pm

I vote for the P15 idea for next Saturday. (P15 is just a stone's throw past Wakefield.) Snow or no snow that's good spot, as there are snowshoe trails or running trails (mostly wide ones... carriage trails.)

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Just seeing this now!

I was thinking up going up tomorrow. Are you still going Dave?

I'm up for next weekend also. :)

P16 Valée Meech is another great starting point as is P7 Kingsmere.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Sorry Dave, P17 is just past Wakefield. P15 is just off Cross Loop. I should be good for then, as much I am enjoying this down time I am itching to play in the forest. If there is no snow we could make it P16 which is the Ski Trail, or make it even easier and go from P11. We should wait and see what is on the ground and make the decision then.

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm

dgrant wrote:

And in Kanata Lakes - Trillium Forest. LOVE it there! Great for running, snowshoeing and xc skiing (might want to wear rock skis - I scratched my good ones there last year... and did the splits for the first time ever! Ha!!!
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Return to “General Running Discussion”