NP: Why the HM is Becoming Canada's Most Popular Race

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

NP: Why the HM is Becoming Canada's Most Popular Race

Postby JoaniB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I like almost everything about the National Post's article except for that first line.

A swollen heel? Why not a black toe-nail or my stomach on breakfast after the race?
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: NP: Why the HM is Becoming Canada's Most Popular Race

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 am

I've never experienced a swollen heel. Does it grow that quickly?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:I've never experienced a swollen heel. Does it grow that quickly?

I suppose it depends on why the heel is swelling. Infection, bone bruise, overuse...
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 am

JoaniB wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:I've never experienced a swollen heel. Does it grow that quickly?

I suppose it depends on why the heel is swelling. Infection, bone bruise, overuse...

It's an awkward opener for an article.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 am

And who is Guy Noury...I thought Luc Frenette was the RD (or at least he was when I interviewed him back in April). :lol:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 am

AirForceRunner wrote:And who is Guy Noury...I thought Luc Frenette was the RD (or at least he was when I interviewed him back in April). :lol:

I thought that also! But then thought maybe Luc wasn't RD anymore.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
AirForceRunner wrote:And who is Guy Noury...I thought Luc Frenette was the RD (or at least he was when I interviewed him back in April). :lol:

Luc has a new assignment at the Embassy in Washington. Guy is the new Luc. Nice guy. Luc is with us. :D They are just working to confirm the course. Now that it is not on Terry Fox weekend, there is an option to go back to the old route. Heron Hump here we come???
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am

canalrunner wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:

Luc has a new assignment at the Embassy in Washington. Guy is the new Luc. Nice guy. Luc is with us. :D They are just working to confirm the course. Now that it is not on Terry Fox weekend, there is an option to go back to the old route. Heron Hump here we come???

oooh félicitations to Luc!
I'm sure Guy is just as nice as Luc was (is).

Return to “General Running Discussion”