STWM Course change!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

STWM Course change!

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am

Uggh...

Up University to begin! Other than that, not bad.

NOT easier though by any means!

http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.co ... -marathon/
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Run928
Percy Williams

Re: STWM Course change!

Postby Run928 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

The Port Lands is stil there and they cut the Beach section in half. A small step forward, but I'm sure a lot of work with the Ford folks at City Hall to get this positive change.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm

I do like the fact that they are getting rid of that hill on Queen street at the 34k mark....that killed me every time!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 pm

I guess they won't be able to claim FLAT FAST and Festive (well maybe still festive) anymore!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 pm

I think that's still pretty flat! University is a grind (I can imagine) at the 40K mark of a marathon, but it's really a barely noticeable incline, and at the beginning, no problem IMO. I like the changes- I think it will be cool to see more of the city during the race.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I do like the fact that they are getting rid of that hill on Queen street at the 34k mark....that killed me every time!

? I think you are confused. It's always been Eastern Ave. That IS the hill. But its not at 34k, its more like 40k (even worse!)

Edit - Actually I think I know what you mean, when you return up on Queen - the mini rollers near the turn around. Well some of those are gone as it doesn't go as far East to Vic Park. But I think the 40k hill is far worse.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 am

It certainly brings the marathon more into the city for the first 10k which will be nice. Interesting landmarks such as Queens Park, U of T, ROM, Bloor Street etc... makes it more appealing and the course more accessible to spectators. It was isolated to the southern rim before. Only in a marathon as flat as Scotiabank would the out and back undulation at the end of Queen street and the swaggle over the DVP on the Eastern Parkway be considered hills, but substituting some elevation changes to go up to Bloor in the first half is likely a good thing. Will miss running all of the Beach. Not sure if the race promoted the turnaround at Neville Park as a Hill, until they made the change to eliminate it from the course, only then did it become big. :D
Last edited by canalrunner on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 am

fingerboy wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:I do like the fact that they are getting rid of that hill on Queen street at the 34k mark....that killed me every time!

? I think you are confused. It's always been Eastern Ave. That IS the hill. But its not at 34k, its more like 40k (even worse!)

Edit - Actually I think I know what you mean, when you return up on Queen - the mini rollers near the turn around. Well some of those are gone as it doesn't go as far East to Vic Park. But I think the 40k hill is far worse.

Yes that's what I mean. When you hit the turnaround at the beaches before, it was a sharp turn and a gradual incline up and it was hard. Last year it was straight into that horrible headwind. I know about the big hill over the highway but quite frankly I found the one at the end of Queen rougher, especially last year in the wind. I find that point in a marathon a tough part for me so turning up that hill was rough. This is what they say about it on their site

The East end turnaround will be on Queen at Beach Avenue, allowing the race to cut the tough hill and nasty u-turn at Neville Park, that came at the 34km mark previously

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

STWM Course change!

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 am

Robinandamelia wrote:This is what they say about it on their site

The East end turnaround will be on Queen at Beach Avenue, allowing the race to cut the tough hill and nasty u-turn at Neville Park, that came at the 34km mark previously

How are they going to avoid a u-turn at Beech? At least at the old turnaround people could run around the streetcar loop. Unless the course goes down to the water and back, that will be a really sharp turn. And if it goes back up from the water, there will be as much of an incline as there was on Queen.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 am

I think there will still be a u turn but at Beach rd.

The 34k mark I didn't mind because I do a lot of my long distance training that ends half way at the filtration plant there, well all the way down right to the pier there at the bottom (10mi). Then it's turn around, run steep uphill from the lake up Vic Park to Kingston Rd. then more uphill to Donora park. So mentally I'm ready for it.

Frankly. I'd rather do those new sections of the city at the end of the race. A) it'd be more exciting for spectators, b) Who really cares about the first 5km? c) If it is more exciting, again, better to distract you at the end of the race rather than the beginning.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 am

Whoa, just want to say good on you for running up Vic Park at 34K of your long run! That's hard core!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:09 am

It looks like a U turn on Queen Street--just earlier than before, avoiding the slope at the end of Queen sT. No jog into the neighbourhood. In previous years, Found the turnaround quite tight with lots of runners taking any momentum and cadence you have out of the race for a moment. Don't anticipate that will change. The Queens Park, Bloor etc.. would have been fun nearer the end but they probaby didn't want to add the elevation gain in the second half of race. If the Queen car turnaround is a hill then going up to Bloor Street would be a mountain. IMHO All in all a better course.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am

canalrunner wrote:It looks like a U turn on Queen Street--just earlier than before, avoiding the slope at the end of Queen sT. No jog into the neighbourhood. In previous years, Found the turnaround quite tight with lots of runners taking any momentum and cadence you have out of the race for a moment. Don't anticipate that will change. The Queens Park, Bloor etc.. would have been fun nearer the end but they probaby didn't want to add the elevation gain in the second half of race. If the Queen car turnaround is a hill then going up to Bloor Street would be a mountain. IMHO All in all a better course.

It might also have been due to having to close roads. Much better to do that super early on Sunday (7-8AM) than later in the day.

I still think someone should try to plan a race that goes through the mayor's neighbourhood. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

La wrote:I still think someone should try to plan a race that goes through the mayor's neighbourhood. :lol:

+1

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:46 pm

La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:It looks like a U turn on Queen Street--just earlier than before, avoiding the slope at the end of Queen sT. No jog into the neighbourhood. In previous years, Found the turnaround quite tight with lots of runners taking any momentum and cadence you have out of the race for a moment. Don't anticipate that will change. The Queens Park, Bloor etc.. would have been fun nearer the end but they probaby didn't want to add the elevation gain in the second half of race. If the Queen car turnaround is a hill then going up to Bloor Street would be a mountain. IMHO All in all a better course.

It might also have been due to having to close roads. Much better to do that super early on Sunday (7-8AM) than later in the day.

I still think someone should try to plan a race that goes through the mayor's neighbourhood. :lol:

On his road, not through the park though. And don't allow any TorStar reporters to cover it.

I agree that sending the runners up to Bloor early is more to do with road closures than any concern with the elevation gain. It looks like a good route. I'm toying with the half, depends how NYCM training is going. I may want a 21.1k race pace run about then.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

I think its pretty cool having those extra sections in it, taking in Bloor, Bathurst, Church (I think) and a few other spots. Toronto has some nice streets that should be seen more often in races! Places like College Street, Queen West would be nice too add in too - more of a city feel to it. The first half (more or less) of the Goodlife marathon is great (leaving aside the downhill which obviously is excellent), and its nice to see all those neighbourhoods around Yonge, ForestHill etc. This change brings a little of that kind of thing into the 'Waterfront' marathon.

Theres obviously a reason for everything, but I really dont see why they cant get rid of those two stupid hairpins in the docklands area. They are awful. I'd probably be asking too much to take out Commissioners aswell???

Return to “General Running Discussion”