A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Lance banned from Chicago

Postby Dstew » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:01 pm

An interesting take from Amby Burfoot:

http://footloose.runnersworld.com/2012/ ... trong.html

I have to agree.

If he is running with his charity to raise money, just do not give him a timing chip.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Lance banned from Chicago

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 am

Agree with the article.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 am

Does seem like unnecessary piling on. What's next? He has wear a tracking bracelet rather than a livestrong?
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am

Totally agree with the article. I read it yesterday, and shook my head.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 am

I'll be the dissenting one here by supporting Armstrong's exclusion from the Chicago Marathon. He knew full well that there would be implications to his decision not to contest the charges against him. These stories feel like yet another publicity stunt and it's unfortunate that he is using his foundation as a hostage in this battle. Let Chicago be a day of celebration for clean sport and the 40,000 individual journeys to get there.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 am

ian wrote:I'll be the dissenting one here by supporting Armstrong's exclusion from the Chicago Marathon. He knew full well that there would be implications to his decision not to contest the charges against him. These stories feel like yet another publicity stunt and it's unfortunate that he is using his foundation as a hostage in this battle. Let Chicago be a day of celebration for clean sport and the 40,000 individual journeys to get there.

+1. Lance still seems to think the rules don't apply to him, that he's above the rules of sport.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 am

Perhaps, in light of his recent decision to not pursue the charges/allegations against him, and accepted the sanctions, as a result, he should just lay low for a bit and let the dust settle ....

It appears, as suggested above, that he is just seeking media attention, good or bad ... in the case of the Chicago Marathon, he had never even indicated his intention to participate in this year's race, as he had not even submitted a registration, per se, until this announcement was published last week, that regardless, he would not be permitted due to the sanctions placed upon him ...

If he is looking to enter races and events, I know of one local Promotions company that would likely allow him to participate in their races, both road races and multisport events ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Having said that, if he continues to play these media PR games, it will be interesting to see how public opinions shift ... in support of, or against him ??? :think: :think: :think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 am

It's total overkill.... Regardless of what you think Lance did or didn't do, this is overkill.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 am

HCcD wrote:Perhaps, in light of his recent decision to not pursue the charges/allegations against him, and accepted the sanctions, as a result, he should just lay low for a bit and let the dust settle ....

It appears, as suggested above, that he is just seeking media attention, good or bad ... in the case of the Chicago Marathon, he had never even indicated his intention to participate in this year's race, as he had not even submitted a registration, per se, until this announcement was published last week, that regardless, he would not be permitted due to the sanctions placed upon him ...

If he is looking to enter races and events, I know of one local Promotions company that would likely allow him to participate in their races, both road races and multisport events ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Having said that, if he continues to play these media PR games, it will be interesting to see how public opinions shift ... in support of, or against him ??? :think: :think: :think:

Bingo!

I've been a fence-sitter on the Lance issue for years, acknowledging both sides of the arguments.

But now I'm just getting sick and tired of the shenanigans.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 am

ian wrote:I'll be the dissenting one here by supporting Armstrong's exclusion from the Chicago Marathon. He knew full well that there would be implications to his decision not to contest the charges against him. These stories feel like yet another publicity stunt and it's unfortunate that he is using his foundation as a hostage in this battle. Let Chicago be a day of celebration for clean sport and the 40,000 individual journeys to get there.

yup, I agree.

It's not just Chicago- its any IAAF sanctioned event (in this case the national governing body, USTAF). It would set a bad precedent if he were allowed to be there.

Lance made his bed and now needs to sleep in it.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

Jwolf wrote:yup, I agree.

It's not just Chicago- its any IAAF sanctioned event (in this case the national governing body, USTAF). It would set a bad precedent if he were allowed to be there.

I think the point above needs to be stressed! This wasn't Chicago's choice, any more than it was WTC's choice to prevent Lance from doing Ironman.

The USADA judgement applies to any sport whose governing body has signed the World Anti-Doping Code. That is pretty much everything... unless he's interested in stoking up a baseball career.

Lance accepted their ruling knowing that was the case. He's the reason his "charity" is losing out, and only he is to blame.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 am

jonovision_man wrote:

I think the point above needs to be stressed! This wasn't Chicago's choice, any more than it was WTC's choice to prevent Lance from doing Ironman.

The USADA judgement applies to any sport whose governing body has signed the World Anti-Doping Code. That is pretty much everything... unless he's interested in stoking up a baseball career.

Lance accepted their ruling knowing that was the case. He's the reason his "charity" is losing out, and only he is to blame.

jono

Amazingly as it might seem to one or two members on the Dark Side section, I agree with all of this. It's due process.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Amazingly as it might seem to one or two members on the Dark Side section, I agree with all of this. It's due process.

I didn't realize the above points made by jono and jen.
What sports aren't covered by this Code??
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:59 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
Mark 2.0 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

WWE :shifty: :lol: :wink:

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 am

HCcD wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Mark 2.0 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

WWE :shifty: :lol: :wink:

=))
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:26 am

$470 million raised for Cancer research. For some reason that statement overshadows anything else I read in the media, I say let the guy run with a jetpack strapped to his back if he wants.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 am

Jo-Jo wrote:I didn't realize the above points made by jono and jen.

Aren't? I think it's only the NHL, NBA and MLB... maybe NASCAR? I'd have to check that last one (but I don't think it's in Lance's area of interest!).

jono
Visit my blog!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
Mark 2.0 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

According to the internets he's racing a non-sanctioned 70.3 this weekend in California.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 pm

New York Marathon Race Director:

"We will go to USATF and the IAAF (international track federation) formally and ask for a clear ruling on whether the USADA settlement applies to participation in our event," Wittenberg said. "We know USATF rules apply to the professional part of the field. We are not sure how they apply to the participatory part of the sport."

The strange thing is that I went onto to USATF website. Chicago is a USATF certified course but not a USATF Sanctioned event. Malibu and Seattle are two other such events. I noticed Portland was neither.

From the USATF website as to why to sanction your event:

What is a "sanction"?

A USATF sanction is an official designation issued by USATF, through a local Association, which approves and licenses the holding of a competitive track & field, long distance running or race walking event in the United States. The sanction is also a contract, which evidences the event's commitment to follow national and international rules and regulations of the sport and to provide a safe environment for the participants and spectators. Once the event has satisfied the sanction requirements, the event's application for sanction is approved.

Benefits of sanctioning your event:

Sample USATF Sanctioned Event LogoIncreased Prestige - For many events, the USATF sanction improves the event's public perception. A sanction tells athletes that an event is being run according to applicable competition rules. Sanctioned events have the ability to use the USATF event designation logo to promote the fact that the governing body has sanctioned the event.
Liability Insurance - Most governmental entities including cities, counties, state highway departments, parks and community centers require general liability insurance for all events. The cost of a sanction is very inexpensive compared to the prices of most event insurance policies. It is important to know that events that are already insured may choose to waive the insurance coverage and pay a lower sanction fee. More info (PDF)
Medical Insurance for Athletes - Any athlete who is a USATF member and is injured while participating in a sanctioned event will be eligible for secondary medical insurance coverage for the injury. This insurance not only provides valuable coverage to USATF members, but it serves as a valuable deterrent to lawsuits.
Calendar Promotion - Sanctioned events will be included in the USATF online calendar and be highlighted to distinguish them from non-sanctioned events.
Records - In general, a sanction is required for a record to be set. There are some exceptions to this rule, however.
Special Offers and Discounts - view offers & discounts available to sanctioned events
Resolving Disputes - If requested, USATF will act as an arbiter in disputes between athletes and sanctioned events.
Other - Each Association may provide additional benefits to its sanctioned events. Please contact your local Association for more details.

As there does not appear to be any magic as to what is or is not a sanctioned event and that Lance can participate in a number of marathons, should he be banned as a participant as well as a professional in sanctioned events? The sanctions do allow a exception to be made by the USADA in order to participant so I wonder if a major marathon wants that headache or are content to ban Lance even though he did nor any of his representatives approached Chicago or New York to run.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Dstew wrote:The strange thing is that I went onto to USATF website. Chicago is a USATF certified course but not a USATF Sanctioned event.

Hmm, that's at odds with this:
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/sports/a ... hon/543345

The marathon is sanctioned by USA Track and Field, and Armstrong’s ban prevents him from entering any events organized, authorized or sanctioned by federations that follow the World Anti-Doping Agency’s rules. Ironman France barred Armstrong for similar reasons after USADA filed doping charges against him in June.

“The code is very clear regarding the ineligibility of sanctioned athletes to compete in other sports,” USATF spokeswoman Jill Geer said in an email. “USATF is a signatory to the WADA code, and we confirmed with the US Anti-Doping Agency that Mr. Armstrong’s ban extends to track and field, road running and all of our sport’s disciplines.”

Also on their site:
http://www.chicagomarathon.com/CMS400Mi ... px?id=5045

The Bank of America Chicago Marathon follows, and participants are subject to, the rules specified by USATF and IAAF. Please visit usatf.org and iaaf.org for additional information concerning the rules mandated by the governing bodies for the sport.

I would think that compliance includes enforcing any relevant bans.

jono
Visit my blog!

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm

HCcD wrote:It appears, as suggested above, that he is just seeking media attention, good or bad ... in the case of the Chicago Marathon, he had never even indicated his intention to participate in this year's race, as he had not even submitted a registration, per se, until this announcement was published last week, that regardless, he would not be permitted due to the sanctions placed upon him ...

Err, wouldn't one conclude he is not the one seeking attention based on this. Clearly if these articles were written before he even tried registering, then the media itself are the ones who started this.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 pm

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/searchRe ... mit=Search

USATF website when I did a search of sanctioned events because I was curious. These are events that are certified but not necessarily sanctioned.

But why would it be clear if Lance is involved. :D

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:23 pm

jamix wrote:
HCcD wrote:It appears, as suggested above, that he is just seeking media attention, good or bad ... in the case of the Chicago Marathon, he had never even indicated his intention to participate in this year's race, as he had not even submitted a registration, per se, until this announcement was published last week, that regardless, he would not be permitted due to the sanctions placed upon him ...

Err, wouldn't one conclude he is not the one seeking attention based on this. Clearly if these articles were written before he even tried registering, then the media itself are the ones who started this.

The problem is that the first release came from the PR firm representing Lance Armstrong. The Chicago Marathon was forced to respond o their release with 1) he never even tried to register and 2) even if he did he would not be allowed.

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm

RobAllen wrote:
jamix wrote:

The problem is that the first release came from the PR firm representing Lance Armstrong. The Chicago Marathon was forced to respond o their release with 1) he never even tried to register and 2) even if he did he would not be allowed.

Ah okay.

Sounds strange to me they'd do this. I wouldn't think such exposure would help his foundation but I guess even bad press can be helpful.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:07 am

Hah, take that you s*ckers .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Lance Armstrong continues to compete despite ban
By: Cycling NewsPublished: September 13, 22:13, Updated: September 13, 22:14
Edition:First Edition Cycling News,
Friday, September 14, 2012Do you like this?

Nearly one month on from being banned from any sanctioned events for life, Lance Armstrong is preparing to race again this weekend at the Alpine Odyssey in Crested Butte, Colorado. The race is a qualifier for the Leadville 100, a race Armstrong won in 2009 and is expected to compete in again in 2013.

Armstrong was given a life ban and was stripped of all of his professional cycling results since August 1, 1998 after refusing to fight charges by the US Anti-Doping Agency, which accused him of doping to win his seven Tours de France and engaging in a widespread doping conspiracy with his team manager Johan Bruyneel and team doctors and trainers.

He has been banned from participating in the Ironman triathlons and the Chicago Marathon, as both types of events are run under federations which are signatories to the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

Because the Leadville Race Series is not sanctioned by any such federation, race organiser Karen Jayne Leinberger of Life Time Fitness sees no problem with his participation, but denied statements from someone she called "a race volunteer" that Armstrong was invited to get more press coverage and boost the race's image.

"From the Leadville Race Series perspective, Lance - just like any other participant who registers for one of our events - is welcome at any time. You see, our organization is passionate about promoting cycling and hosting great events to further the sport. Is this event sanctioned? No. Many of our Leadville Race Series events are not. In fact, this is true across our Athletic Events portfolio. No special treatment or consideration was given here. It’s going to be a beautiful day in Crested Butte with hundreds of racers. One just happens to favor yellow."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-continues-to-compete-despite-ban

Return to “General Running Discussion”