NY Marathon cancelled

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

DougG
Jerome Drayton

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby DougG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm

I just heard that the marathon has been cancelled because of the storm damage.Sports net reported this, NBC first reported it.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Re: NY Marathon cancelled

Postby ceileigh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I am still shocked ... glad I did not go. So sorry for those who did and are out the $. I understand cancelling but the timing could have been better

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Crazy, they should have done this before people started heading over there! :?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/olympics/st ... d-concerns

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 pm

debacle
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm

In a way it gets the mayor the best of both worlds. The runners, for the most part, are there and stuck now. They will spend the money in town that he said would be such a help.So he gets that part of what he wanted. And he cancels the marathon which gets him the respect from the locals who wanted that too and avoids the antagonism.

The correct decision would have been to cancel this Monday or Tuesday and allow runners to re group and save the expense and prevent the stress and antagonism in the first place.

Sorry Mr Bloomberg, I am really not impressed.

So so sorry for my fellow maniacs who are already in New York City.

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Wow! Been following it all week, and although I feel it was a good decision, it should have been done last Monday or Tuesday. I was shocked to hear it a few minutes ago so late in the day. Even now, there isn't an official posting on the NYC Marathon site.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Wow, that is one quick about face. This morning Bloomberg is on record as saying the race will go on and now, cancelled. The decision is a right one, but should have been made earlier IMHO.

I feel sorry for the participants who have vest training time, travel and money into this weekend. And what happens to those people who deferred there entry to next year at the last minute? (i.e. Andy)
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Wow. I think I'll go with the "worst of both worlds", as many runners and locals are undoubtedly going to be incensed with the waffling. To be fair, this was probably a no-win situation and had the storm been a few days earlier or later, the decision would have been clearer. Nevertheless, count on hundreds of thousands of people willing to try to get in to next year's race.

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Just heard this news while driving my girls home from swimming and my heart sank :(. So sorry for all of you who have travelled to NY, knowing your experience might be different than first anticipated, but still expecting to run a marathon. I feel especially sad for those of you who would be running your first - that just sucks! It's hard to accept things that are beyond our control but that's what we do and we move on, of course. I know it's just a marathon (things can always be worse and are for those living through the storm's destruction) but it was still such an important and meaningful goal/milestone for so many people.

Thinking of you all at this "crappy" time and hoping you can still embrace the excitement and energy that defines NYC. Take care.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Wow. Was not expecting that, although they kept saying it could still happen.

And still no official update on the marathon webpage.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Reading some Twitter feeds, it seems that Mary Wittenberg NYRR has gone on to say the race will not be rescheduled.

What a mess. I can't think of a worse scenario right now.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Wow, this has everything to do with $$$s. Should have been cancelled days ago. Shameful!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:09 pm

ceileigh wrote:In a way it gets the mayor the best of both worlds. The runners, for the most part, are there and stuck now. They will spend the money in town that he said would be such a help.So he gets that part of what he wanted. And he cancels the marathon which gets him the respect from the locals who wanted that too and avoids the antagonism.

The correct decision would have been to cancel this Monday or Tuesday and allow runners to re group and save the expense and prevent the stress and antagonism in the first place.

Couldn't have said it better, ceileigh. This should have been done with enough time for people to cancel their travel arrangements and not be out the bucks.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm

WOW!!!
IMC 2015

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

NY Marathon cancelled

Postby purdy65 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Wow. I'm going to try to not be cynical and just say that Bloomberg mad a bad... Very bad decision earlier in the week and cost the runners thousands I feel so bad for them
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

The only bright side - if everyone is pissed off, it might be easier to get in next year... :?

Too soon?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Tisha wrote:
ceileigh wrote:In a way it gets the mayor the best of both worlds. The runners, for the most part, are there and stuck now. They will spend the money in town that he said would be such a help.So he gets that part of what he wanted. And he cancels the marathon which gets him the respect from the locals who wanted that too and avoids the antagonism.

Couldn't have said it better, ceileigh. This should have been done with enough time for people to cancel their travel arrangements and not be out the bucks.

How I feel.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

URG
Johnny Miles

Postby URG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

The FB NYC marathon page and official website just posted a cancellation notice.

I just hope something good comes out of this who fiasco....perhaps lots of out of town volunteers over the wknd to help clean up.

Here's a thought....if you have a race bib, frame it...makes a nice souvenir of the biggest running race event that never was-

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:40 pm

This decision should have been made early this week.

It is the right decision but was left too late. There is no way the mayor should have considered trying to pull this event off when he still has citizens without power, water, food, housing. It would have been a slap in the face of all those who are suffering. The manpower and resources are needed elsewhere right now.

I am sorry for those runners who have made the trip for naught.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 pm

I am shocked. All that training. As other said, they should have cancelled it earlier.

Actually, I blame Andy. He decide to defer, then they cancel the marathon. Are they cancelling the Goofy too...
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 pm

ChrisL wrote:I am shocked. All that training. As other said, they should have cancelled it earlier.

Actually, I blame Andy. He decide to defer, then they cancel the marathon. Are they cancelling the Goofy too...

Oh, now that would be somethin' .... :wink:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:04 pm

City of New York and New York Road Runners Announce Race Cancelation
The City of New York and New York Road Runners announce that the 2012 ING NYC Marathon has been canceled. While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division. We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event -- even one as meaningful as this -- to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to help New York City recover from the storm. New York Road Runners will have additional information in the days ahead and we thank you for your dedication to the spirit of this race. The Expo will remain open tomorrow.

Visit my blog!

oink

Postby oink » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Sorry for those that have made the trip, but when you read the quote below from the New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg r in regards to the cancellation:, you kind of see that it makes sense

The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it.

We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event — even one as meaningful as this — to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track

Also, with many people still without power and needing manpower to restore crucial services, tying up resources that would be needed for the race instead of being used in recovery efforts was perceived by many to be an insult and waste of effort.

Oh...Goofy is not till January though

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm

oink wrote:Sorry for those that have made the trip, but when you read the quote below from the New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg and New York Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg r in regards to the cancellation:, you kind of see that it makes sense

The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it.

We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event — even one as meaningful as this — to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track

Also, with many people still without power and needing manpower to restore crucial services, tying up resources that would be needed for the race instead of being used in recovery efforts was perceived by many to be an insult and waste of effort.

But they also say this...
While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort

And sprinkle their statement with words like "perceived" - basically saying they wouldn't have diverted resource so it's just optics that resulted in the cancellation?? That makes it worse!

jono
Visit my blog!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm

I just read a quote from Mary Wittenberg saying that they had to cancel before everyone traveled there tomorrow.

Huh? All the international participants are already there or on their way!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Return to “General Running Discussion”