Running Story about a liar liar pants on fire.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey gang, rambo999's question reminded me of a great story about a Rosie Ruiz type character that I once worked with...the interesting thing is that at least Rosie ran some of the races she illegitimately won.

It all started during an interview a while back wherein one of the interviewers, who would later become my peer as I was got the job, asked me about the marathons which appeared on my resume. I answered the question in typical interview fashion saying career success and earning trust was much like running a marathon – you had to run a steady pace to achieve success. (Cheesy but effective) I followed my answer with a question of my own: Are you a runner yourself? She replied yes and almost in an atypical boastful manner claimed to have completed 16 marathons – two of which were in Boston. As everyone knows, none of us boast about our achievements – we are proud of them but we also recognize that we are still slow pokes compared to Reid, Kara, Ryan and Meb.

Time went on and my colleague and I would chat from time to time about running. She always claimed to run a daily 5 miler after waking at 4:30am…nothing unusual there. One day she said she would be participating in the Scotia Waterfront 5K on the Saturday as part of the Marathon weekend races. I wished her well. The Saturday morning shortly after the race finished, she emailed me with a short note “nailed it – 19:54”. I was very impressed...mainly because she never spoke of her times. I don’t know what prompted me to look but I went on sportstats.ca to look for her time/ placement. She wasn’t on the board at all…in fact had she raced a 19:54 she would have placed 3rd overall. Now I was skeptical and curious. Why would she lie? Maybe I misunderstood? – Nope she definitely wrote 19:54.

I searched the sportstats results 57 different ways for her past results. Nothing showed up except for one half-marathon in 1999 that she ran in 1:58. Now, that is a very respectable time but it is far from lightning fast. I searched – marathonguide.com - again high and low and nothing showed up. A Google search yielded no results. ..except for a 1999 half marathon result of 1:58 of course. At least I confirmed the Google search worked.

A short month later, she claimed to have been caught up in the 2007 Army 10 Miler Heat wave which claimed one runner’s life. She said it was horrible but they got through it by picking up discarded water cups and sipping what they could. Of course, I empathized for what they endured. No, her name didn’t show up in the results.
In the end, I never did ask her about her lies – after all, I knew what I knew and what could I possibly gain by outing her? It did cause me to be very careful around her – what I did and said was always guarded.

Crazy chick! :shock:
It's never too early to taper or to carbo load !

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Running Story about a liar liar pants on fire.

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:43 pm

could she have another last name that she uses?

or could she be running as a bandit?

There are people who chronically lie like that, but there may be another explanation. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Wow- never heard a story quite like that. Makes Paul Ryan look good.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I routinely race under my maiden name, so if someone met me today, they wouldn't know to look under (or even know) that name. Could it be that type of situation?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm

jes wrote:I routinely race under my maiden name, so if someone met me today, they wouldn't know to look under (or even know) that name. Could it be that type of situation?

That and, there is another person with your name, which could lead to a bit of confusion at times, I would suspect ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:54 pm

HCcD wrote:
jes wrote:I routinely race under my maiden name, so if someone met me today, they wouldn't know to look under (or even know) that name. Could it be that type of situation?

That and, there is another person with your name, which could lead to a bit of confusion at times, I would suspect ... :wink:

That's why I stick with my maiden name (usually - sometimes I forget and register with the 'wrong' name)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 pm

HCcD wrote:

No - she was never married and her name was a short simple one that would not be subject to spelling errors. Despite that one can check the results using example P Smith, Paul Smith etc... Even if it was mispelled and didn't show up, what are the chances of that happening 16 times? Also, that would not account for the 2 specific races she claimed to have run with her name not showing up in the results at all.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Wasn't there someone on here that registered with different names as well? Sometimes parts of their first and parts of their last name?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 pm

yeah I'm sure some people don't want to be as easily traced as the rest of us suckers... it's amazing how much you can find out about a person through race results!

example: one time I met this guy I liked; upon meeting him, all I knew was his first name and that he had run Victoria marathon. I texted RA about him. By the time I got home she had already tracked down his full name, age, photos, linkedin profile, race times, etc. It's kind of scary, really. :P

(not meaning to make RA look like a creepy stalker! hahaha... I've done the same thing multiple times!)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

I dunno- would people really go that far to hide their race results online? I know lots of runners, most of whom aren't all that active on social media, yet they love being able to see their results online.

People put info on sites like linked-in and Facebook because they want to connect. I don't see how it's scary.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I used Sportstats to catch a guy I had dated in a lie - about his age!! He told me he was 47 (this was a few years ago, making himjust 2 years older than I was at the time). And the subject of age actually came up a couple of times in conversation, and he always referenced that he was 47. After we stopped dating, I looked up his race result for the Chilly Half since he'd told me he was running that race. When his result came up, it placed him in the 50-54 age category. I clicked on his name to see his other results and he'd been in the 50-54 AG for quite a few years! I figured that he was actually 53, not 47. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Would ya look at that! All the posters here are from the summer 2005 vintage! Just noticed that's all.

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm

La wrote:I used Sportstats to catch a guy I had dated in a lie - about his age!! He told me he was 47 (this was a few years ago, making himjust 2 years older than I was at the time). And the subject of age actually came up a couple of times in conversation, and he always referenced that he was 47. After we stopped dating, I looked up his race result for the Chilly Half since he'd told me he was running that race. When his result came up, it placed him in the 50-54 age category. I clicked on his name to see his other results and he'd been in the 50-54 AG for quite a few years! I figured that he was actually 53, not 47. :lol:

Men! :roll:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm

The type of person who would would race under a pseudonym for anonymity would not be the type of person to offer up details of their accomplishments.

Earlier this summer, I was made aware of perhaps the most bizarre story I've ever read about a runner: Kip Litton. (Google it.)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:50 pm

ian wrote:Earlier this summer, I was made aware of perhaps the most bizarre story I've ever read about a runner: Kip Litton. (Google it.)

I think there is a thread on here somewhere about that. Truly a bizarre story! He didn't just make up race results for himself, he made up entire races!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Windy :)

I read about Kip Litton. That was incredibly weird.

A race or two missing I can understand, the results aggregators do one grab and results can be updated afterwards. Boasting about non verifiable results seems odd.

I've run into the same thing as La, more than once. :lol:
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

hey wind-hater - we're all still here - wondering where you've been! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:03 pm

My name is Doonst B. Creepy, and I'm 55 and a half years old. Look me up maybe! http://doonst.com/
Last edited by Doonst on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I can't even remember your maiden name...
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:07 pm

For a while there I kept coming across another Lisa Purdy. If you check Sportstats, you'll see. Eerily close in times too. She's from Niagara though, and I'm from North York.

I carefully verify my chip at each race to make sure I'm not getting hers. Sometimes the do the bib numbering alphabetically, so it could happen!

Haven't seen her around lately though.

Windy - very strange story.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Lisa...I don't have a common last name...yet there's a Joanne Gunning from Rhode Island who runs and enters races :D :D

I recently met someone who entered a local race under a different name than he entered a race I know he ran in Ottawa.
I have no clue why he did this.
Maybe he's a top notch secret agent and wants to fly off the radar :D :D

As for Kip Litton...totally strange. He's a dentist...yep I'm gonna really trust his advice regarding any suggested treatment plans :? :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 pm

That's so weird....I guess maybe because she's not a runner she didn't realize that the results are published online and available for everyone to see? I had that sort of happen, someone I know told me he ran a race in a certain time, and when I looked it up, the time was not as fast as he claimed. I thought to myself why lie? Who cares? I find it all very odd....

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:That's so weird....I guess maybe because she's not a runner she didn't realize that the results are published online and available for everyone to see? I had that sort of happen, someone I know told me he ran a race in a certain time, and when I looked it up, the time was not as fast as he claimed. I thought to myself why lie? Who cares? I find it all very odd....

Odd indeed. There are a lot of people who associate positive atttributes to those who run or run marathons - perserverance, discipline, dedication, etc... She likely hoped there would be some reputational benefit to her tales. Another thing I didn't mention was every year our team ran the Scotiabank rat race together - she always had an excuse as to why she couldn't run it.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm

wind-hater wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:That's so weird....I guess maybe because she's not a runner she didn't realize that the results are published online and available for everyone to see? I had that sort of happen, someone I know told me he ran a race in a certain time, and when I looked it up, the time was not as fast as he claimed. I thought to myself why lie? Who cares? I find it all very odd....

Odd indeed. There are a lot of people who associate positive atttributes to those who run or run marathons - perserverance, discipline, dedication, etc... She likely hoped there would be some reputational benefit to her tales. Another thing I didn't mention was every year our team ran the Scotiabank rat race together - she always had an excuse as to why she couldn't run it.

The plot thickens :shock: :D

Now you can understand why I wasn't thrilled when Scotiabank bought us. Filled with creeps...I knew it... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

La wrote:
ian wrote:Earlier this summer, I was made aware of perhaps the most bizarre story I've ever read about a runner: Kip Litton. (Google it.)

I think there is a thread on here somewhere about that. Truly a bizarre story! He didn't just make up race results for himself, he made up entire races!

That's not a bad idea! Did I ever tell you guys about the year that I won the Goodlife Ottawa Waterfront Marathon?
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Return to “General Running Discussion”