DougG
Jerome Drayton

Re: Pistorius charged with murder!

Postby DougG » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm

jgore wrote:What Holly said.:smile:

Thank you Jim & Holly. :D
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm

DougG wrote:
jgore wrote:What Holly said.:smile:

Thank you Jim & Holly. :D

DougG I knew what you meant and yes I agree it was semantics. I just wanted it to be clear to others.
The Summer of Eng is over.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

erinmcd wrote:The plot thickens- steroids were allegedly found at his house.

Sadly, this will probably enrage people more than the death of the woman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... urder.html

Interesting to hear this and the Legal Team that he already have to represent him ... Also, now wondering if "Temporary Instanity" due to Alchohol and/or Drugs and/or Roid-Rage will be one of his defence claims used to argue "pre-meditated" / "first-degree" murder charges against him ??

In one of the articles, it indicated that he called his father and/his best friend on what he had done, and, I would assume his lawyer, and did not bother to contact 9-1-1 / EMS, and that it was his neighbours who called called the authorities ... :shock: :?

As well, in a previous article, one of his-Ex Girlfriend(s) was reported to have called the Police and charge him with "assault", but later dropped the charges against him .... if I recall ????
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm

jonovision_man wrote:...once people decide someone is a "hero" it takes quite a lot for some to come to terms with the truth.

Agreed. I have been travelling quite a bit lately and listening to talk radio. I was listening the day Pistorius was arrested and for a half day no one could get off that it must have been a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong. There have many cases in the opposite direction since then. One is the dude accused of the racial slur and slap of a child on a plane.

- The guy who appears to have had very very poor control on a flight was ruined as soon as the accusation from an upset parent hit the news.

- Pistorius had a dead body taken from his house but it must have been an illusion.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:...once people decide someone is a "hero" it takes quite a lot for some to come to terms with the truth.

Agreed. I have been travelling quite a bit lately and listening to talk radio. I was listening the day Pistorius was arrested and for a half day no one could get off that it must have been a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong. There have many cases in the opposite direction since then. One is the dude accused of the racial slur and slap of a child on a plane.

- The guy who appears to have had very very poor control on a flight was ruined as soon as the accusation from an upset parent hit the news.

- Pistorius had a dead body taken from his house but it must have been an illusion.

The "hero" who knows he is beloved is further dangerous - See Lance ruining many or Rogers Clemens ruining Brian McNamee.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:44 am

I think it's natural for people to give hero status to people who have overcome odds or adversity to achieve greatness in some area. And once we've done that, it's hard to let go and accept that the person is, actually, human and fallible (and not always very nice - we tend to equate overcoming odds with being a "nice" person, and that's not always the case).

What I believe is that WE don't want to think that our heroes have done bad things because it makes US "wrong" for having idolized them in the first place. In my case, it started with OJ (not that I idolized him, but generally liked him as a player and personality at the time), then Lance. What I'm feeling is really not "about" them, it's more about me.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 am

Apparently, his defence is that ....

Having had previous death threats, Pistorius said he slept with a 9-mm pistol under his bed in his plush Pretoria home in the heart of a well-secured gated community.

He and Steenkamp went to sleep on Wednesday night - the eve of Valentine’s Day - shortly after 10 p.m., he said.

However, in the middle of the night, he awoke in pitch darkness and thought an intruder had climbed through the window of his bathroom, Pistorius said.

He climbed out of bed without putting on his prosthetic legs and went towards the closed bathroom door, not realizing Steenkamp was behind it, he said. He then fired several shots into the door, before shouting to Steenkamp to call the police.

Realizing she was not in bed, he grabbed a cricket bat to beat down the bathroom door and found her slumped on the floor.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/19/blade-runner-pistorius-shot-girlfriend-through-door-prosecutor

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Pistorius charged with murder!

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 am

La wrote:I think it's natural for people to give hero status to people who have overcome odds or adversity to achieve greatness in some area. And once we've done that, it's hard to let go and accept that the person is, actually, human and fallible (and not always very nice - we tend to equate overcoming odds with being a "nice" person, and that's not always the case).

What I believe is that WE don't want to think that our heroes have done bad things because it makes US "wrong" for having idolized them in the first place. In my case, it started with OJ (not that I idolized him, but generally liked him as a player and personality at the time), then Lance. What I'm feeling is really not "about" them, it's more about me.

I hear you on all that but take the complete opposite view.

I guess I assume that elite sports is so competitive, the drive it takes to be the best of the best, means that most I the people who succeed are deep down jerks. In the same way it's been postulated that many CEOs are sociopaths.

As Green Day said, Nice Guys Finish Last.

Of all the lance allegations, the only one that never bothered me was that he was an arrogant, entitled, jerk. I would have assumed that from all the winning.

I distinguish between sports heroes and real heroes. An A-hole who can throw a ball isn't a hero, and we shouldn't be surprised when he turns out to be an A-hole.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:44 am

HCcD wrote:Apparently, his defence is that ....

Having had previous death threats, Pistorius said he slept with a 9-mm pistol under his bed in his plush Pretoria home in the heart of a well-secured gated community.

He and Steenkamp went to sleep on Wednesday night - the eve of Valentine’s Day - shortly after 10 p.m., he said.

However, in the middle of the night, he awoke in pitch darkness and thought an intruder had climbed through the window of his bathroom, Pistorius said.

He climbed out of bed without putting on his prosthetic legs and went towards the closed bathroom door, not realizing Steenkamp was behind it, he said. He then fired several shots into the door, before shouting to Steenkamp to call the police.

Realizing she was not in bed, he grabbed a cricket bat to beat down the bathroom door and found her slumped on the floor.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/19/blade-runner-pistorius-shot-girlfriend-through-door-prosecutor

That's a pretty lousy defence, even if it's true.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 am

jonovision_man wrote:
HCcD wrote:Apparently, his defence is that ....

That's a pretty lousy defence, even if it's true.

jono

As someone once said, "He doesn't have a leg to stand on..." with that defence ... :shifty:

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:I think it's natural for people to give hero status to people who have overcome odds or adversity to achieve greatness in some area. And once we've done that, it's hard to let go and accept that the person is, actually, human and fallible (and not always very nice - we tend to equate overcoming odds with being a "nice" person, and that's not always the case).

I guess I assume that elite sports is so competitive, the drive it takes to be the best of the best, means that most I the people who succeed are deep down jerks. In the same way it's been postulated that many CEOs are sociopaths.

Of all the lance allegations, the only one that never bothered me was that he was an arrogant, entitled, jerk. I would have assumed that from all the winning.

I distinguish between sports heroes and real heroes. An A-hole who can throw a ball isn't a hero, and we shouldn't be surprised when he turns out to be an A-hole.

exactly!

Is anyone surprised that either of the Williams sisters throw a snit fit when they lose a tennis match? No.

So why, then, are we surprised when other "nastiness" is revealed about other elite athletes?
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

It's one thing to be upset in a competition - it's another thing to be a jerk to other people in your life.

I don't think it's a prerequisite for elite competitive athletes to be jerks. There are plenty that aren't- we just don't hear about them. Just like there are plenty of successful actors and actresses that don't sleep around and politicians the aren't involved in sex scandals. They just don't make the news.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am

CAW wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

exactly!

Is anyone surprised that either of the Williams sisters throw a snit fit when they lose a tennis match? No.

So why, then, are we surprised when other "nastiness" is revealed about other elite athletes?

I guess what I mean is the "hero" label being applied to people who overcame greater-than-usual odds to reach the elite level. And the media certainly do a good job of sucking us into only seeing the good side of those folks to start.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 am

CAW wrote:Is anyone surprised that either of the Williams sisters throw a snit fit when they lose a tennis match? No.

For the record, it's only one of the sisters (Serena) that has a history of poor sportsmanship. The other one (Venus) is widely regarded as a complete class act. Ditto for their parents: the father tends to be a well-meaning boor while the mother has a wonderful sense of humanity and perspective.

From my perspective, there's a lot of truth both to what Lesley and Mike wrote. I'm in the middle somewhere. There are dozens of athletes that, time and time again, have conducted themselves with the utmost class, and as such, I find them easy to root for. I'm also open-minded enough to recognize that I can't know everything about another person (be they an athlete, a co-worker, a neighbor, etc.) and that my impressions can and will change in the future based on events or information that I don't know right now.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 am

ian wrote:
CAW wrote:Is anyone surprised that either of the Williams sisters throw a snit fit when they lose a tennis match? No.

For the record, it's only one of the sisters (Serena) that has a history of poor sportsmanship. The other one (Venus) is widely regarded as a complete class act. Ditto for their parents: the father tends to be a well-meaning boor while the mother has a wonderful sense of humanity and perspective.

From my perspective, there's a lot of truth both to what Lesley and Mike wrote. I'm in the middle somewhere. There are dozens of athletes that, time and time again, have conducted themselves with the utmost class, and as such, I find them easy to root for. I'm also open-minded enough to recognize that I can't know everything about another person (be they an athlete, a co-worker, a neighbor, etc.) and that my impressions can and will change in the future based on events or information that I don't know right now.

Wise as always, ian.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

La wrote:
ian wrote:

Wise as always, ian.

I agree.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Interesting piece in the Star today: Why Oscar Pistorius will likely get off.
What do you think? I can't imagine living in a country that is under such paranoia all the time, so I'm not sure I buy it. The case will surely be interesting, though. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of what it's like to live in South Africa?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah, someone broke into Pistorius' house to rob and kill him and his girlfriend, but first he went into the bathroom for a quick dump and maybe read the paper. Of course I would never possibly think that it was my girlfriend in my bathroom so I would pump 4 bullets in the door before I asked who was in there. I suppose when you are caught, you have to grasp at whatever straws you can reach. I wonder how his defense team will try to explain why his girlfriend was in the bathroom with the lights off and did't turn on the lights to go to the bathroom either?
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 am

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

QuickChick wrote:Interesting piece in the Star today: Why Oscar Pistorius will likely get off.
What do you think? I can't imagine living in a country that is under such paranoia all the time, so I'm not sure I buy it. The case will surely be interesting, though. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of what it's like to live in South Africa?

Huh, the article has been removed.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Tisha wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Interesting piece in the Star today: Why Oscar Pistorius will likely get off.

Huh, the article has been removed.

Still there, just link changed:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... kelly.html

His version of events:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... vents.html

I am not convinced he could have thought with any kind of certainty that there was a burglar behind that door. And you'd also have to believe that he shouted at the "burglar" but his girlfriend who was actually behind the door chose not to respond. If my significant other was yelling to me outside the bathroom door that there was a burglar in the house, I'm pretty sure I'd yell something back!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:45 pm

There was an interesting piece in today's Globe, written by a Canadian journalist who lives in So. Africa, who says that the media depiction of the culture of fear in So. Africa is overblown.

The South Africa being described in court is not the country I know

Already some foreign observers are assuming that volleys of gunshots are just a normal part of life in this country, and that Mr. Pistorius reacted like any typical South African to the fear of crime. It’s an assumption that’s tempting but wrong.

Of course most middle-class South Africans take plenty of precautions against crime. Security alarms, barred windows and doors, high walls, electric fences and motion detectors are all popular. Yet even in the most dangerous cities, gun-wielding paranoia is not nearly as common as outsiders believe.

I’ve lived in Johannesburg, the most crime-ridden city in South Africa, for the past four years. I have dozens of friends in the city, and some have been victims of home invasions or burglaries, but none keeps a gun under the bed, let alone feels any desire to blast bullets through doors at the slightest sound.

Studies suggest that 12 per cent of South Africans own guns. It’s a relatively high percentage by global standards. But it still means that the vast majority of South Africans prefer not to have guns in their houses – mostly for safety reasons, since they realize how often guns can be stolen, misused, or accidentally fired.

[Continues]

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

OOOooopps , apparently it may have just been herbal supplements and not steroids and/or drugs found in the house ... A possible faux pas by the Prosecutor/Police, perhaps leading the way for "doubt" in the handling of evidence and information being released to the media ?? :?: :help: :?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57570297/oscar-pistorius-case-prosecution-admits-error-over-testosterone-testimony/?tag=socsh

Return to “General Running Discussion”