A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

9 year old to run Antarctic Marathon

Postby purdy65 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 pm

9 Year od to run Antarctica Marathon

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/runner-a ... n-18534713

Good idea?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Re: 9 year old to run Antarctic Marathon

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think it's a good idea for a 9 year old to run a marathon anywhere.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm torn...I don't think I'd let my kid do it...but he seems to be under the care of many doctors, who have way more information on his training, nutrition, fitness and well being than we do. So I don't think it is my place to judge.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:09 pm

It's a tricky issue and it made the news out here last year when the PEI marathon institued an age limit, largely in response to having had a nine-year old run it in 2011. There are a lot of areas of life where our society trusts the judgement of parents to make appropriate decisions for their children and thus far, this has tended to be one of them. Personally, I like the rolling age/distance limits instituted by some races (e.g. 16 for the marathon, 14 for the half), along with the advice that younger runners should use cross country and track competitions to build their running foundation, but this compromise position doesn't really address the core issue about where the ultimate decision rests. It's one thing if one particular race chooses to impose age limits, but we're really asking whether all races should be compelled to do so.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 pm

He's actually looking to run a marathon on each of the 7 continents as a charity fundraiser ... I suspect that portion of the funds raised will be used to offset his travelling expenses ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 pm

HCcD wrote:He's actually looking to run a marathon on each of the 7 continents as a charity fundraiser ... I suspect that portion of the funds raised will be used to offset his travelling expenses ??

Nope.
From his website (which is really good... http://www.nikrunstheworld.com/the-cause.html )
How does my donation help?
Operation Warm is very proud to inform donors that 97 cents on every dollar goes to the national coat program. Three cents of every dollar raised goes to the overhead expenses associated with running this important nonprofit. Every dollar helps and one new coat changes the life of one child.

The website also answers questions like "Is it okay for Nikolas to run marathons at his age?"

It sounds like they have thought it out pretty well.

He actually already ran the first marathon in December.
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 am

Seems to me that running marathons and running a marathon in Antarctica are entirely different questions. :/
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 am

ultraslacker wrote:Seems to me that running marathons and running a marathon in Antarctica are entirely different questions. :/

I agree.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:I don't think it's a good idea for a 9 year old to run a marathon anywhere.

Fully agree. Why not wait 10 years, when he will be done growing? The charity thing is great, but I doubt he fully realizes the physical risks. Plus, Antarctica? That's the closest you can get to he** on Earth IMO. They'll be lucky if he ever wants to see his running shoes again after that.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am

QuickChick wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:I don't think it's a good idea for a 9 year old to run a marathon anywhere.

...I doubt he fully realizes the physical risks.

Which are? Bearing in mind of course that he's jogging a 6hr marathon pace - not much faster than walking.

Kids are a lot tougher than we think. Heck, I used to run all day when I was his age, playing soccer, rugby, and whatever else in the park. Did I run a marathon? Nope, but I ran and ran and ran. All day. You all did too. Let's not get all caught up in being surrogate parents and start the high minded tsk, tsk, tsk on this - it's not that big a deal.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

Which are? Bearing in mind of course that he's jogging a 6hr marathon pace - not much faster than walking.

Kids are a lot tougher than we think. Heck, I used to run all day when I was his age, playing soccer, rugby, and whatever else in the park. Did I run a marathon? Nope, but I ran and ran and ran. All day. You all did too. Let's not get all caught up in being surrogate parents and start the high minded tsk, tsk, tsk on this - it's not that big a deal.

Yeah I agree.

When I see my son literally run and run and run all day, it doesn't seem unreasonable that he could run/walk a slow marathon. I definitely didn't do that, by the way, and I don't see same thing with all other kids. But many kids could.

I think his parents and his doctors are well-informed and can make a good decision about this. It's not like he's planning a marathon every day or anything. His first one was in December and I'm not sure when the next one is planned.

And... It's warmer in Antarctica now than it is in many parts of Canada. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

That's kinda what I was thinking.

I know that during any given indoor soccer game my boy played this winter he ran about 5k on avg. He played as much as 3x/week and had 2-3x basketball as well each week. On his off evenings he'd go to the gym to run around and kick balls with his friends, on weekends he swims for 2-3 hours. These are typical 9-12 y/o activities. And he still has time for Cadets and video games!

Aren't we all reading how kids need to be more active these days? If the parents are working with a team of healthcare professionals, don't you think they've carefully weighed the pros and cons?

As usual, we don't have all the information, so who are we to judge?
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 am

Jwolf wrote:
And... It's warmer in Antarctica now than it is in many parts of Canada. ;)

Right now, Antarctica would be a semi-tropical vacation for me. ;)
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:44 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

If I could get someone to sponsor and pay for all my expenses to travel all all 7 continents to walk/run a marathon, regardless of age ... Hell ya !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am

HCcD wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

If I could get someone to sponsor and pay for all my expenses to travel all all 7 continents to walk/run a marathon, regardless of age ... Hell ya !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

Andy where does it say he had sponsors paying for his expenses? I am pretty sure his family is paying.
The donations go directly to the charity.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 am

Jwolf wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

Andy where does it say he had sponsors paying for his expenses? I am pretty sure his family is paying.

His parents are his sponsors ?? :shifty: :wink:

Having said that, he does have a bunch of corporate sponsors, et al .. which may be providing financial assistance/subsidies ???

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

Which are?
A little googling turns up this article which says, in effect, no more than for adults. Hmm. I always thought long distances were hard on fast-growing bodies but I may be wrong.

I also found this which has some vague warnings but is also over 20 years old.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:A little googling turns up this article which says, in effect, no more than for adults.

That was a good read.

While I'm hesitantly OK with the project of the 9 year old of this thread, it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that it would be hard for anyone to defend a viewpoint which didn't acknowledge some significant gray area somewhere. To show what I mean, I'll put a devil on both shoulders:

If you believe that it's nobody else's business what a child does for exercise...
... do you remember the story about the boy in India who began running marathons at the age of 3? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budhia_Singh) The younger the child, the less capable they are of providing some sort of autonomous consent to their activities and the more of an obligation there should be on the parents to err on the side of moderation.

If you believe that society has an obligation to protect minors from potentially harmful activities...
... then what about other sports? Scores of children, often younger than 9, spend countless hours practicing and playing organized sports like hockey, basketball, football, etc. These sports have well-documented rates of injuries (concussions, separated shoulders, broken bones, torn ligaments) far more serious than running injuries, as well as substantial participatory attrition rates into adulthood. The "it can wait until they're older" suggestions would seem to be particularly applicable here.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Mark 2.1 wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

His parents are his sponsors ?? :shifty: :wink:

Having said that, he does have a bunch of corporate sponsors, et al .. which may be providing financial assistance/subsidies ???

Just checked the cost of this adventure ... almost, $6,000+ per person ... :shock:

White Continent in Antarctica $5,085.00
•All prices per person, basis sharing double/twin. Includes all air and land.
•Single Room Supplement $385.00.
•International airfare from USA - Punta Arenas NOT included - contact us for air travel from your home town to Chile.
•A reciprocity tax is charged on arrival for passports holders of the US ($160 USD), Canada ($132 USD).
•Any new tax imposed by any government agency. All taxes are subject to change.
•USA-international air fare available; ask for details.
RATES ARE PER PERSON based on 2 people per room and 20 paying people.

http://kathyloperevents.com/whitecontinent/prices.html

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm

There have been other talented younglings, like the Welsch sisters, who have apparently paved the roads already ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/welsch-sisters-10-12-controversial-endurance-stars-204323168.html

eta: As others have said, ultimately, it's the Parents / Guardians responsibilty to ensure the health and welfare of thie children .. and, as long as their Doctors and Medical Team and taking the interest of these kids in mind, who are we all to judge otherwise ... :what:

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm

ian wrote:...it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that it would be hard for anyone to defend a viewpoint which didn't acknowledge some significant gray area somewhere.

Find me one issue (that isn't illegal) that doesn't have "some significant gray area somewhere" when discussing raising/nurturing/parenting/guardianship of children. Welcome to parenting.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 pm

ian wrote:... it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that it would be hard for anyone to defend a viewpoint which didn't acknowledge some significant gray area somewhere...

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines - Emerson
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 pm

purdy65 wrote:9 Year od to run Antarctica Marathon

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/runner-a ... n-18534713

Good idea?

I think it is a great idea. What an incredible experience for this family. What a great way for father and son to bond. He is supporting the charity his grandfather started.

Personally I think this is all much healthier than the parents I see at the local rink pushing their children to the brink thinking they are going to be an NHL star, yelling at little johnny to "take out" his opponent.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:Seems to me that running marathons and running a marathon in Antarctica are entirely different questions. :/

I agree.

I forgot it's summer in Antactica.
The forecasted temperature of 35 degrees Farenheit changes my opinion about the location.
It won't be that cold!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

I agree.

I forgot it's summer in Antactica.
The forecasted temperature of 35 degrees Farenheit changes my opinion about the location.
It won't be that cold!

Even in the summer, it's subject to some pretty serious and dangerous storms. At VIMFF last week there was a presentation by an ultrarunner who nearly died while running in Antarctica, because a nasty storm blew in suddenly and she was alone in the middle of nowhere. Sure it was an ultra so she was further away from other people than one would be in a marathon, but the storm danger would still exist. :/ I just can't imagine that the reward is worth the risk... why not wait until he's old enough to make informed decisions for himself?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”