Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby deerdree » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 am

Double post.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Re: Boston Marathon 2013

Postby CAW » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 am

I love that missed Maniacs (those who don't come here often or just lurk occasionally now) are coming back to check in. It is so nice to see some familiar names that we don't hear from anymore posting their concerns.

I hate that it takes a tragedy to bring people back, but I love that people know they can come back to check on old friends. As Holly said earlier, it really speaks to our sense of community here.

*waves at Dani, Midge, DLS, ratherawkward, and others (too many to name)*
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am

deerdree wrote:
Doonst wrote:
canalrunner wrote:This is a sick and heinous act at what is the mecca for many marathoners. The reasons why will be discovered. They will never be justifiable reasons. I have run Boston 3 times so I got lots of calls and emails yesterday asking me if I was there. I was not, and hadn't planned on running Boston again. Now I feel I want to go back next year, to send a message that the joy and fullness of life that running a marathon symbolizes isn't going to be stopped by whatever dark and pitiful lives sparked this event.

I hear what you're saying, and have crossed that famed finish line with great joy myself. I have heard a lot of runners say they want to run it next year. Still, after reading about the 8 year old boy who died waiting to see his father finish, and his sister who lost a leg, and mother with a brain injury, if people will still want their families in the crowd. We may end up affected in spite of our best wishes.
No offense intended.

I agree. I love cheering at the Boston Marathon - both times have been indescribably inspiring. And in general, I've cheered at more races than I've run. But this will affect me. Normally I can put these things in perspective, but something about this is different for me.

Are you back home now, Dee?

What a terrible experience for you. :cry:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:57 am

CAW wrote:I love that missed Maniacs (those who don't come here often or just lurk occasionally now) are coming back to check in. It is so nice to see some familiar names that we don't hear from anymore posting their concerns.

I hate that it takes a tragedy to bring people back, but I love that people know they can come back to check on old friends. As Holly said earlier, it really speaks to our sense of community here.

*waves at Dani, Midge, DLS, ratherawkward, and others (too many to name)*

orange blood never gets diluted :)
This forum is special, always was, always will be
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am

The Joggler had a nice piece in Reps Magazine (he's the editor): http://www.repsmag.com/extra-reps/the-t ... -marathon/
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 am

I am very glad all the Maniacs are safe and accounted for. I was following most on the tracker and/or facebook. My friend/neighbour was at the 500 metre mark (from the finish) when the first bomb went off - I had been tracking him and it stopped at the 40 km mark at exactly 2:48 pm. It was a very long 3.5 hours until I finally heard he and his wife were safe. I told him just before he left that seeing as I would never qualify, I would have to live vicariously through him and wished him good luck.

I too have been super emotional and feel a strong desire to get out there and run...which I will do at the Toronto Marathon on May 5th and the Sporting Life on May 12....however am conflicted about having family come and see me. My 13 year old daughter is registered to run the 10 km with me. I have to say I feel super anxious about it.
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 am

La wrote:The Joggler had a nice piece in Reps Magazine (he's the editor): http://www.repsmag.com/extra-reps/the-t ... -marathon/

Great article...thank you for this.
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

fabrun
Percy Williams

Postby fabrun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am

My heart breaks for those killed and injured. What a senseless, horrible act of violence. Thankful so many are ok, sad for those who are not.

Friederike

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm

tgilpin wrote:I am very glad all the Maniacs are safe and accounted for. I was following most on the tracker and/or facebook. My friend/neighbour was at the 500 metre mark (from the finish) when the first bomb went off - I had been tracking him and it stopped at the 40 km mark at exactly 2:48 pm. It was a very long 3.5 hours until I finally heard he and his wife were safe. I told him just before he left that seeing as I would never qualify, I would have to live vicariously through him and wished him good luck.

I too have been super emotional and feel a strong desire to get out there and run...which I will do at the Toronto Marathon on May 5th and the Sporting Life on May 12....however am conflicted about having family come and see me. My 13 year old daughter is registered to run the 10 km with me. I have to say I feel super anxious about it.

My experience was similiar - after spending a joyous afternoon tracking friends & celebrating their PBs, I heard this dreadful news. It took a long time to make sure everyone was safe. Today I can't seem to shake this feeling of emptiness & sadness. Boston - all marathon finish lines - have always been a symbol of pure happiness for me. I couldn't even find the motivation to run today and that's not like me at all. And it's a beautiful day out there. So I gave myself the day off. I'll run again when my heart doesn't feel so heavy. Soon, I hope. It certainly puts it all in perspective.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:26 pm

I was so relieved when I found out everyone was okay! My heart goes out to all those affected by this tragedy.

Yesterday was spent busy in Toronto and it wasn't until early evening when I was on the subway that I caught wind of what happened. A blurb on the scrolling marquee read something of an evacuation at the Boston Marathon. My thoughts immediately went to all those I know who are/were there and how whatever this 'evacuation' was about may have affected them. When I reached my car, I just sat and listened in stunned silence to the conflicting coverage on the radio. I heard something about a ~70 yo man injured around the 4+ hr mark and naturally concerns set in about Ken! The short trek home on the 401 felt very long - shock, worry, anger - as I tried to process what was going on. Raced home, didn't even drop my jacket until it was confirmed that everyone I knew was fine.

Such a disturbing and tragic occurrence. I still feel unsettled by it all today and greatly feel for those involved while becoming increasingly pi$$ed with the perpetrators. I know this event will have an emotional toll and stay with us for some time. I'm so thankful that all those we know and their families are physically well. Tragedies like this cannot be undone but we can decide how we deal with them. Please take care everyone; heal well and in a healthy manner. Midge is right - carry on running - and run with peace and love.

(((Hugs to everyone)))
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

TurtleLuc
Tom Longboat

Postby TurtleLuc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Relieved to read that there were no Maniac runners or family members/friends physically injured from this very sad event. The emotional scars may never go away, but be lessened by the sense of community from this site as well as from being involved in the running community. Deep sadness can not be shaken for the poor souls who lost their lives or have been injured in one form or another. My first thought was "What has this world become?", but now it is let's work together to make it what we want it to be as has been demonstrated by the good humanitarians following the senseless act. God bless.
Luc

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 pm

I was heading out for my run commute home when I saw the news report. I was stunned. I am relieved to know no one here was injured though the shock and stress of the situation is huge to deal with. A friend of a friend was in the crowd and suffered leg injuries. The ER doctors removed metal balls from her leg..... not sure what her status is now.
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

I am still struggling with this today. When I think of the dozens of races my family has come out to watch me finish, it sickens me to think those out cheering on their loved ones (or strangers) were deliberately put in harms way.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 pm

msdesigner wrote:I was heading out for my run commute home when I saw the news report. I was stunned. I am relieved to know no one here was injured though the shock and stress of the situation is huge to deal with. A friend of a friend was in the crowd and suffered leg injuries. The ER doctors removed metal balls from her leg..... not sure what her status is now.

That's horrible. I hope she's going to be okay.

Ruteger
Johnny Miles

Postby Ruteger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Glad everyone is OK. My mind is still reeling from this.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:28 pm

This made me feel a bit better:

On Facebook, Patton Oswalt wrote:Boston. **** horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt/p ... 0800582655

run mom run
Tom Longboat

Postby run mom run » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Checking in after a long absence. This is still so unbelievable. As a runner and as a support to other runners, that sense of community is so important. I hope this doesn't scare people away from participating and cheering at major events, but I understand how it might. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives, those who were injured, and those who saw things yesterday that they can never un-see.

Ar
Do or do not, there is no try -- Yoda

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:12 pm

55 yo Joan Benoit Samuelson ran an ag record of 2:50.xx. Cr@p that is freaking fast!!!!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Spirit wrote:55 yo Joan Benoit Samuelson ran an ag record of 2:50.xx. Cr@p that is freaking fast!!!!

WOW...very cool.
When I was in Boston in 2008 the Women's Olympic Trials were run on Sunday...I (along with my Maniac entourage) went to watch and she was running in the Trials...she got loud cheers each time she ran by (it was a looped course).
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Saw a great quote ""If you're trying to defeat the human spirit, marathon runners are the wrong group to target."
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Checked in here to make sure all our maniacs are okay. I am so glad that everyone is okay and it seems no family members were injured. I can tell you that the true scope and horror wasn't apparent to those of us who were stopped about 1/2 a mile from the finish. We were informed only that an emergency had occurred at the finish line. After about 5 minutes the policemen received a radio message and told us the two explosions had occurred and that there were injuries. By this time dozens of police and other vehicles were racing past us and even dozens of police on foot were running to the finish area. After about 20 minutes I left the course and had to take a circular route to get to the Prudential Center Mall where Bonnie was waiting . I knew that she would be worried. It was also fortunate that we had changed our meeting spot to the mall from a hotel close to the explosions. As we don't have cell phone, we had to wait until we arrived back in our hotel to find out the true horror. We were an hour and half commuter rail line and car ride back to our hotel. I wish I could have let you guys know earlier that we were safe. I knew that many of you would see my times and realize that I would be close to the finish at the wrong time. Fortunately some breathing problems and the hills slowed my progress. I will run Boston again next year and dedicate it to all the victims and their families.
The comments here are pretty much what some of the runners that I have chatted with since have expressed. I still have difficulty taking in the whole situation controlling my emotions. I think that everyone there will have to take some time to get over the experience.

Thanks again for all your kind thoughts and comments.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Kelodie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:03 am

Thinking of you, Ken, and all the runners/spectators in Boston on Monday. I can't imagine the fear, anger, sadness and shock you all must feel.
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 am

Thinking of you Ken and all who were in Boston for sure. Horrific for us watching from here so can't imagine how it feels for those that were involved in any way.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 am

fyi ...

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino have announced the formation of The One Fund Boston, Inc. to help the people most affected by the tragic events that occurred in Boston on April 15, 2013. http://onefundboston.org/pdf/theonefundboston.pdf

http://onefundboston.org/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:23 am

There are lots of false charities popping up, so just beware before sending any money (I'm not saying that one is, just that there are).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “General Running Discussion”