Boston Marathon 2013

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Re: Boston Marathon 2013

Postby rambo999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Were they giving away the coveted Boston Marathon jackets for FREE after the race, or is this a case of looting during the chaos that ensued right after the bombings?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM7Ura6Q4w

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I don't know who I am more disgusted with - the people from the race just giving the jackets away or the people who thought it was okay to use the misfortune of others to grab an iconic symbol of the marathon.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

An arrest has been.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

I wonder if people are reselling these jackets on eBay...

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm

CNN reporting that an arrest has been made...let's hope it's true!!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:An arrest has been.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... vered.html

Boston Marathon bomb investigators believe they have pinpointed a suspect from security videos that show someone placing an object where one of the explosions took place and walking away, CNN and the Boston Globe reported on Wednesday, both citing unnamed sources.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I think CNN just backed off from their initial report that an arrest had been made.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I think CNN just backed off from their initial report that an arrest had been made.

CNN. The news organization that brought you Richard Jewell.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Cripes.

The twitterverse is abuzz! Oh CNN - shame.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Boston Police Dept.Verified account ‏@Boston_Police

Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.

https://twitter.com/Boston_Police
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Ken B wrote:I don't know who I am more disgusted with - the people from the race just giving the jackets away or the people who thought it was okay to use the misfortune of others to grab an iconic symbol of the marathon.

http://gawker.com/5994756/looting-tragedy-profiteering-reported-in-aftermath-of-boston-marathon-attacks

RayMan.2
Percy Williams

Postby RayMan.2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:52 am

Ken B wrote:I don't know who I am more disgusted with - the people from the race just giving the jackets away or the people who thought it was okay to use the misfortune of others to grab an iconic symbol of the marathon.

It's oddly out of context, this video...in my experience the jackets are purchased at the race expo, they are not available at the finish line or in the finisher's area.

I remember being quite shocked in 2010 when I visited the Adidas web site and realized that ANYONE could buy an iconic Boston Marathon jacket. So if Adidas (or a vendor) decided to give the jackets away I can't blame people for "looting" them.
Training for PEC Half-Marathon - Oct 2014 - Bunny time!

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:06 am

"You're in over your head Donny..."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 am

MrBond wrote:SOME good news out of all this:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/ ... medal.html

That's cool. I saw the story circulating on Facebook and glad they connected.

As it turns out they are giving the finishers medals to those who got turned away early. My friend Dean got his when he picked up his checked bag. I think it's totally deserved. He also said the BAA would be giving qualifying status to those who were on pace to qualify as of 40k (he wasn't), although I don't see anything official about that anywhere.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am

Were't they giving finishers medals to everyone as they came to pick up their bags? I thought that's what I read, but I could be mistaken. But I guess if you didn't check a bag...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 am

purdy65 wrote:Were't they giving finishers medals to everyone as they came to pick up their bags? I thought that's what I read, but I could be mistaken. But I guess if you didn't check a bag...

Yes indeed they were- they even had a mock finish line set up there. :)

According to the BAA's FB page, those who didn't check bags will be able to get theirs too in some way.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 am

Jwolf wrote:He also said the BAA would be giving qualifying status to those who were on pace to qualify as of 40k (he wasn't), although I don't see anything official about that anywhere.

This is just my personal opinion, and obviously the BAA doesn't have to listen to me, but I think that anyone that was turned away that had qualified to run for 2013 should automatically qualify and get priority to register for 2014 regardless of their pace, should the runner want to run it next year. Not everyone will want to register/pay again/run, but there are some that will want to cross that finish line officially. I think it would be good for the marathon - give those runners special bibs and the fans on the course would most likely cheer that much louder and harder for those runners.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am

Darth Tater wrote:
Jwolf wrote:He also said the BAA would be giving qualifying status to those who were on pace to qualify as of 40k (he wasn't), although I don't see anything official about that anywhere.

This is just my personal opinion, and obviously the BAA doesn't have to listen to me, but I think that anyone that was turned away that had qualified to run for 2013 should automatically qualify and get priority to register for 2014 regardless of their pace, should the runner want to run it next year. Not everyone will want to register/pay again/run, but there are some that will want to cross that finish line officially. I think it would be good for the marathon - give those runners special bibs and the fans on the course would most likely cheer that much louder and harder for those runners.

Couldn't agree more!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 am

Darth Tater wrote:

I agree- I think it would be the right thing to do to give those who didn't get the chance to finish first crack at registering for 2014.

On a related note, I think 2014 is going to be absolutley epic in Boston. From all the buzz on twitter, it seems like everyone wants to run there. Makes me wonder if I should try to sharpen up my BQ time before registration opens.........
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 am

Darth Tater wrote:

Interesting suggestion DT and that seems like a fare request. I'm not sure how the logistics would workout, but I'm in total agreement.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am

Darth Tater wrote:

That's a reasonable suggestion. Given that registration is still half a year a way, these sorts of decisions can definitely wait. One thing to keep an eye on: it is quite likely that demand for next year's race will be extremely high. The rolling registration windows will help ensure a fair process, but even the new BQ times might not be enough to get into the 2014 race. At the moment, my guess is that you might need to be 2-3 minutes under the cutoff to get in.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

Agree completely. As far as I'm concerned anybody who was stopped on Monday should get to run, maybe for free. I'd throw in an entry for Monday's first responders and volunteers as well.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby IronGoddess » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 am

Agree completely!!
IMC 2015

Return to “General Running Discussion”