HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend Has Gone Dopey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:Good lord, what have I done... :roll:

someone's gone goofy on us!! ;)

or, rather Dopey, me thinks ... :shifty: :wink:

Wonder if La will enter in the kiddies 1 miler, so, to break 50 miles for the 4 day week(end) ?? :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Oh goodness.... I may be Dopey too :shock: I'm in!!

76% Full for the Dopey Challenge...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:Good lord, what have I done... :roll:

someone's gone goofy on us!! ;)

or, rather Dopey, me thinks ... :shifty: :wink:

Wonder if La will enter in the kiddies 1 miler, so, to break 50 miles for the 4 day week(end) ?? :shifty: :lol: :wink:

uh, no.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Sorta-kinda a prelude on what a lot of Dopey's will be running like during/after the marathon on the Sunday of WDW Race Weekend ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC7NpEISWxU

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am

The Run Disney Management Team must be laughing to the bank this year, with the 5K, 10K and Dopey selling out in the first few days ... and, the remaining events over 50% SOLD OUT now ... :shock:

Half Marathon - 61%
Full Marathon - 51 %
GOOFY - 55 %

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 am

For all you Future Dopey's out there ... here is Galloway's Training Plan ... ;)

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/training-programs/2014/DopeyChallenge14.pdf

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks, but, um, I think most of us are a bit more advanced than the target audience Galloway has designed this plan for.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Uhm.. No kidding.

What person in their right mind would be considering the Dopey, if you are beginning with 2 min run/1min walk.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend Has Gone Dopey

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

purdy65 wrote:What person in their right mind would be considering the Dopey, if you are beginning with 2 min run/1min walk.

The run/walk intervals given are not a starting point--they are what he suggests you do for ALL the long running including the race. Many people who do Galloway plan to do frequent walk breaks and train that way the whole time.

I'm not sure who that program is geared for. I assume "just to finish" people, but even so you think you'd do more running and walking days earlier in the program. Although it is a very LONG gradual program and I suspect some people would jump in in the middle already running/walking about 5 days/week.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:36 pm

I think it's geared toward people who are concerned about making the cutoff times for the half and the marathon.

It astounds me that the threshold for having to provide proof of time is 3.25 hours for the half and 6.5 hours for the marathon.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm

purdy65 wrote:Uhm.. No kidding.

What person in their right mind would be considering the Dopey, if you are beginning with 2 min run/1min walk.

You'd be surprise .. The multiple Goofy Instructor at my RR Location basically trained her entire group one year to walk the half and walk/run the marathon ... Their goal was just to finish ..... Which is usually the main goal for a lot of goofy people and I would suspect for Dopey this coming year ...

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Scarily enough there are lots! I am on a disney board to plan my cruise and they have a running page and there were a lot of people signing up for dopey who had minimal running experience. Their races really do cater to a whole different "running" population. When I finished goofy I was riding back to the hotel on the shuttle and people were shocked I ran both races. It seems to be pretty common to walk one of the races over the weekend.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Tori wrote:

Scarily enough there are lots! I am on a disney board to plan my cruise and they have a running page and there were a lot of people signing up for dopey who had minimal running experience. Their races really do cater to a whole different "running" population. When I finished goofy I was riding back to the hotel on the shuttle and people were shocked I ran both races. It seems to be pretty common to walk one of the races over the weekend.

So maybe there's a chance I can get a top 10 AG finish in the Dopey then! :D ;)

danielb
Johnny Miles

Postby danielb » Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm

For those of you who are Disney vets...

How much of a hassel is it to stay off site? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to park on race mornings, or is public transportation / cabs an option.

It wasn't originally in the plans, but I think we have shifted our next years vacation plans to a trip to Orlando in January and I actually think I am going to be able to sign up for Goofy! Our plan will be to stay in a condo or house close to disney and rent a car.

2013:
April: Mundy Pond 5k 22:39 (new PB)
May: New job on a new continent so who knows.
June: Mizuno 10 Miler Rio de Janeiro 1:23:36.
July: Rio de Janeiro Marathon 1:48:30 (new PB).

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 27, 2013 2:20 pm

danielb wrote:For those of you who are Disney vets...

How much of a hassel is it to stay off site? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to park on race mornings, or is public transportation / cabs an option.

It wasn't originally in the plans, but I think we have shifted our next years vacation plans to a trip to Orlando in January and I actually think I am going to be able to sign up for Goofy! Our plan will be to stay in a condo or house close to disney and rent a car.

In 2009 we stayed off site (barely) and drove in on race morning(s) without issue. It also means you don't have to get up at the @ss crack of dawn to catch the bus from the resort, and you can leave your post-race stuff in the car (and stay in the car until the last minute when you have to head for the corrals). I don't think I'd want to do it any other way!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 pm

La wrote:

In 2009 we stayed off site (barely) and drove in on race morning(s) without issue. It also means you don't have to get up at the @ss crack of dawn to catch the bus from the resort, and you can leave your post-race stuff in the car (and stay in the car until the last minute when you have to head for the corrals). I don't think I'd want to do it any other way!

My cousin lives in Florida and he also stays off site and drives in on race morning.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

danielb
Johnny Miles

Postby danielb » Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:

My cousin lives in Florida and he also stays off site and drives in on race morning.

Excellent, thanks for the replies.

2013:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm

danielb wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:

Lots of people are coming from offsite. 2 times I have stayed on site and drove to the start so I could keep warm in the car and have breakfast. No issues getting to the parking lot. 2011 tried to do the same at goofy and the roads were a mess, I ended up turning around parking at my resort and walking to the race. The next morning I walked over again fom old key west to avoid the traffic.

Andy should have a good perspective for you, he has sayed offsite the last 5 years I believe.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Tori wrote:
danielb wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:

Lots of people are coming from offsite. 2 times I have stayed on site and drove to the start so I could keep warm in the car and have breakfast. No issues getting to the parking lot. 2011 tried to do the same at goofy and the roads were a mess, I ended up turning around parking at my resort and walking to the race. The next morning I walked over again fom old key west to avoid the traffic.

Andy should have a good perspective for you, he has sayed offsite the last 5 years I believe.

Did I hear someone mentioning my name ??? :shifty: :wink:

Yes, I have stayed off-site the past 2 times and again will be staying off-site again this time around .... If you plan on driving in, the key is to plan to drive to Epcot before 3:30-3:45am with 4:00am, the latest, as the traffic may be backed up considerably with the number of buses and cars entering the parking lot/area ... ... :shock: to avoid the traffic ... there are oodles of parking spaces available .... They have started to herd the runners from the runners staging area by 4:30am, as of late, as it is a good 30-45 minutes to walk to the starting corrals, with 20-25,000 other people on a very narrow and dark path ..., as the race starts promptly at 5:30am ... A word of advice ... as you reach the main entrance to the corrals, there will be oodles of port-a-potties and long line ups ... try to skip these and go straight to your corral area, as there will be a number of port-a-potties available, as well ... and, for the guys, and, even for the ladies .... there are a lot of trees beside the road to do you business, if you do not care for the line-ups to the port-a-potties ..... :shifty:

Also, to avoid the possible length of time standing outside in the potential extreme weather/elements, or just stay in your car, with an early arrival, I have always bought in the Race Retreat, which offers a weather controlled / tent to hunker down before/after the race(s) and offers a pre-post race meal along with port-a-potties, limited access to massage tables ($$), access to computers to check times, etc., ... really nice, as it enables you to start your recovery, in preparation for the next day, if you are running the Goofy and/or Dopey ... A bit pricey, for sure, but not that much more, when you add up all the $$$costs$$$ in your WDW plans ... :shifty: :wink:

danielb
Johnny Miles

Postby danielb » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm in for goofy! The kids are in for the 100 and 200 m kid's dash. I think they are more excited then I am. We ended up booking an offsite condo not too far from disney.

Based on what Andy said I am considering booking the race retreat, but I don't know if the extra $200 is worth it to me... I'll probably pass on it and end up kicking myself on race mornings. I guess you have to look at the entire thing as more of an experience then a race to justify the cost. There's nothing cheap about disney!

2013:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 am

danielb wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm in for goofy! The kids are in for the 100 and 200 m kid's dash. I think they are more excited then I am. We ended up booking an offsite condo not too far from disney.

Based on what Andy said I am considering booking the race retreat, but I don't know if the extra $200 is worth it to me... I'll probably pass on it and end up kicking myself on race mornings. I guess you have to look at the entire thing as more of an experience then a race to justify the cost. There's nothing cheap about disney!

Hard to say ... Sure glad that I had it in 2009 when they had that deep freeze, freezing rain/sleet, etc. -10C on race day / weekend ... Like this past year, with race weekend on the second week(end) of January ... it might be another hot one in the making, and having a temperature controlled conditions in the tent may be nice, just to avoid hangout outside in the elements ... Then again, if you are renting a vehicle, you could just go for an SUV or alike, and have more room to spread out in the back before the race, should you decide to stay in the car .... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

And, yes, in a way, by being in the Race Retreat, pre-race, one may miss all the pre/post races festivities out there along with the other 20,000+ participants ... but, I sure enjoy the comfort of the Race Retreat, personally ...

FYI ... From what I have heard/read, they plan to raise the Park Tickets after this weekend ... If you have access to a CAA or alike, it may be a good opportunity to buy your tickets now and save a few $$$ .

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 am

Still have time, Maniacs ..... :shifty: :wink:

MICKEY-95%
GOOFY- 85%

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 pm

If you are looking to stay onsite at any of the value hotels for race weekend, better start looking to book now. I just reserved a room for Jan 9 and 10 before my cruise and the cheaper value options were very limited. We ended up at our third choice (Pop Century) as the first two options were already sold out.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm

We're staying just off-site, but very close by. Can't recall the name of the resort.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 am

Tori wrote:If you are looking to stay onsite at any of the value hotels for race weekend, better start looking to book now. I just reserved a room for Jan 9 and 10 before my cruise and the cheaper value options were very limited. We ended up at our third choice (Pop Century) as the first two options were already sold out.

When are you flying/arriving in Disney World ??

Hopefully, we will be able to hook up for an M&G before you head off to your cruise ... :P

Return to “General Running Discussion”