Re: Why women shouldn't run

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Why women should run:

- the awesome feeling of strength after a run
- the emotional peace that comes with the easy footfall
- bone strength - My DR is highly supportive of me running for his reason alone
- the awesome social scene in running - never had more friends in my life
- self-esteem
- yes - weight management - but it's only PART of weight management.

If I weren't so busy I'd keep going, but that will have to do for now. Feel free to add to the list! :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Ken B wrote:I have only an argument for why women should run. Because I like to run with them. ( Men as well) Why cut down on possible running partners??

I am with Ken on this.
Please don't stop running. The second running boom is fuelled by women running. It has changed the sport especially the half marathon. I would loose a good portion of my pace groups, and I would be very sad.

Why men should run:
-because women run
-the other stuff :D
Last edited by canalrunner on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

purdy65 wrote:Why women should run:

- self-esteem

If I weren't so busy I'd keep going, but that will have to do for now. Feel free to add to the list! :D

my biggest thing is stress relief and clearing my head. vitamin d. fun. being able to see things I wouldn't otherwise get to see (because of remote locations).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
purdy65 wrote:Why women should run:

- self-esteem

my biggest thing is stress relief and clearing my head. vitamin d. fun. being able to see things I wouldn't otherwise get to see (because of remote locations).

Great list Lisa. And agree with Holly...I can have the most rotten day at the office...and a run will lift my spirits.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Running allows me to eat more without gaining weight; therefore my intake of essential nutrients, essential trace elements and other essentials are increased and I am afforded better nutritional health.
My BMI is 20 and remarkably stable regardless of my mileage and I don't follow any particular diet other than making sure it is good for me and varied (and gluten free).
As well, running keeps me from being depressed, it works better than any drug could hope to.
It keeps me outside where people belong, enjoying the world and meeting new friends and neighbors.
I know my thighs will be strong when I am old, so I will be able to sit and get up from the bathroom by myself. As well my muscular strength will improve my balance and make me less prone to falling and breaking something.
My bones will be strong from the stress of running thereby reducing my risk of an osteoporosis related fracture.
My blood vessels will remain open and my heart capable of coping with stress. All these things will keep me independent as I age.
Most of all, I love the running side effects, I feel strong and well.
I don't care what some misogynistic, condescending dweeb says about women running, I've been doing it for 36 years and I'm going to continue until i cannot anymore.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

kab wrote:I don't care what some misogynistic, condescending dweeb says about women running, I've been doing it for 36 years and I'm going to continue until i cannot anymore.

...and I vote this best post of the day on RM :lol: :lol: :wink:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
kab wrote:I don't care what some misogynistic, condescending dweeb says about women running, I've been doing it for 36 years and I'm going to continue until i cannot anymore.

...and I vote this best post of the day on RM :lol: :lol: :wink:

It gets my vote too :D

I can't believe it, but I have been running for 10 years. I couldn't possibly list here how much running has given to me. All of the things people have mentioned above and so much more. I just turned 50, an age when a lot of women start thinking about their lost youth. When I'm out for a run I feel like I'm in my 20's and I love that feeling :D Just like kab said above, I'm going to continue until I cannot anymore. Hopefully that will be a very long time away.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 am

Maybe the thread title needs to be changed. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 am

I finally read the article. Here are my thoughts:

1) He's writing from the perspective of someone who trains people in "physique" competitions. Their definition of what a "good" body looks like is very different from mine.
2) He's citing lots of research, most of which I don't have the time, interest, or appropriate background knowledge to read and understand fully. Lots of people cite "research" that is flawed.
3) By the title of the article he accomplished what he had hoped: to drive traffic to his site. If you read into the article, he says men shouldn't run, either. He's also pointing the finger at ANY cardio done at 65% of your max or higher, not just running.
4) Anecdotally, I have to agree with some of his claims, which is that I believe my metabolism has slowed down and I don't burn as many calories while running as I used to. Part of that is due to age, but I think part of it is due to my body being much more efficient at burning calories when I run. Do I "blame" running for that, not really. But I do think it's a factor.
5) It also sounds like his target audience for this rant isn't people like us who have other reasons for running; it's targeted at those people who think that endless hours of cardio will help them get and/or stay thin. For some people it will, but for others it won't (for me, what I put in my mouth has WAY more impact on my body weight/fat than how much cardio I do).

Overall, I say "meh." The article doesn't really affect me one way or the other. There really should be a :meh: emoticon. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 am

La wrote:I finally read the article. Here are my thoughts:

1) He's writing from the perspective of someone who trains people in "physique" competitions. Their definition of what a "good" body looks like is very different from mine.
2) He's citing lots of research, most of which I don't have the time, interest, or appropriate background knowledge to read and understand fully. Lots of people cite "research" that is flawed.
3) By the title of the article he accomplished what he had hoped: to drive traffic to his site. If you read into the article, he says men shouldn't run, either. He's also pointing the finger at ANY cardio done at 65% of your max or higher, not just running.
4) Anecdotally, I have to agree with some of his claims, which is that I believe my metabolism has slowed down and I don't burn as many calories while running as I used to. Part of that is due to age, but I think part of it is due to my body being much more efficient at burning calories when I run. Do I "blame" running for that, not really. But I do think it's a factor.
5) It also sounds like his target audience for this rant isn't people like us who have other reasons for running; it's targeted at those people who think that endless hours of cardio will help them get and/or stay thin. For some people it will, but for others it won't (for me, what I put in my mouth has WAY more impact on my body weight/fat than how much cardio I do).

Overall, I say "meh." The article doesn't really affect me one way or the other. There really should be a :meh: emoticon. ;)

My thoughts exactly - no particular misogyny or sexism; no need for anyone to take offence unless they want to.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 am

Mark 2.1 wrote:
La wrote:I finally read the article. Here are my thoughts:

My thoughts exactly - no particular misogyny or sexism; no need for anyone to take offence unless they want to.

I'm not offended...I do love the word dweeb though...must incorporate into my vocabulary. 8) :wink:

La makes some good points. :D

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I loved reading the posts about why women *should* run. So very true...

I know I shouldn't rise to the bait as easily as I do but when I read the title of this thread, my blood started to boil. Sigh... :roll:
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am

Jwolf wrote:There certainly is a lot of excess fat on these women. :roll:

Makes me want to avoid the treadmill at all costs. ;)

where is that gym and how do i get there??

Return to “General Running Discussion”