Toronto flood from a runner's perspective

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Toronto flood from a runner's perspective

Postby La » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Last edited by La on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Re: TorontofFlood from a runner's perspective

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:15 pm

all good until the part about the rats... shudder.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm

"A bit later, he runs past a geyser of water spewing 15 or 20 feet high from a runoff culvert with a heavy steel cover. “Very cool!”"

I'm as reckless as the next XY, but at some point you have to realize you're making bad decisions and turn back.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm

turd ferguson wrote:"A bit later, he runs past a geyser of water spewing 15 or 20 feet high from a runoff culvert with a heavy steel cover. “Very cool!”"

I'm as reckless as the next XY, but at some point you have to realize you're making bad decisions and turn back.

Agreed! Why continue to push on when you can see it going to hell in a hand basket no time fast?
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Stampie wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:"A bit later, he runs past a geyser of water spewing 15 or 20 feet high from a runoff culvert with a heavy steel cover. “Very cool!”"

Agreed! Why continue to push on when you can see it going to hell in a hand basket no time fast?

Because he's likely a Type-A runner who had "15K run" on his schedule for the day. ;)

I can't speak for what happened in Calgary, but I think it's similar in that the flooding here happened very fast. And based on where he was running (Don Valley Trail), there aren't a lot of places to escape to once you reach a certain point. It's along side where the GO train got stranded.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Toronto flood from a runner's perspective

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:13 pm

The flooding definitely came on very fast, and most people would probably not anticipate that amount of water. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but I can see how this happened to him. Rats are gross... but did anyone see the video of the SNAKE on the GO train??! EWWWWW!!!!

My favourite part of this story is definitely when he says "I don't lose to guys in five fingers". :lol:
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Toronto flood from a runner's perspective

Postby La » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:34 am

QuickChick wrote:My favourite part of this story is definitely when he says "I don't lose to guys in five fingers". :lol:

I loved that part, too. :lol:

Return to “General Running Discussion”