Wilting Wednesday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Wilting Wednesday

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 am

Today is race day (well, tonight) -- and they are calling for 42 degrees with the Humidex -- I will be wilting at the end of 10 miles, no doubt!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Wilting Wednesday

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:52 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:Today is race day (well, tonight) -- and they are calling for 42 degrees with the Humidex -- I will be wilting at the end of 10 miles, no doubt!!

Have a good race.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:42 am

It was cool this morning when I go out for my run - 14 degrees! It was fabulous. I did a modified speed/tempo run. I.e. I ran 2k, then walked hills and hit the lap on my garmin, then ran until the next hill, then walked, then ran another 2k, with each kilometer getting faster.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:54 am

Seriously, I'm a dripping mess when I get to work, even more of a mess when I get home. Thank goodness for AC!

The plan for tonight is a 6K tempo, but that might change depending on the weather. It might be simply a 6K "jog." :roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:04 am

That was a warm workout this morning- humidex was over 30° by the time I finished at 6am. 13.5km done, with 10 x 500m at 5K race pace.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:09 am

It was already a humidex of 35 when I got up at 4:50 this morning. Poked my head out the door and could hardly breathe with the humidity... scrapped the run plan for today and will do a strength workout after work instead. This is the kind of weather that makes me wish we had space for a treadmill...
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:00 am

Freakin' heat and humidity...
I may ride down to the RR tonight just to say hello, I do not feel like running.
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:10 am

Good morning! It feels like forever since I've posted in the daily thread. Let's see: took a planned rest day last Friday (out late on Thursday), ran 24 km on Saturday, rest day Sunday (except for a couple of hours of gardening/yard work), weights and core workout Monday, ran a slowish and sticky 13 km yesterday, and ran 7 miles on the treadmill today. I did briefly flirt with the idea of running outside this morning, but am glad I didn't. My plan was for a progression run, but in fact I managed very little progression and had a tough time just sticking to race pace. Even in the air conditioned gym it felt hotter and muggier than usual.

And I plan to skip Runpub tonight in favour of making up a missed belly dance class. Last chance before the current session is over, and in these conditions it is not a hard choice to make...! Been working crazy hours so I hope to make to class rather than being stuck at the office. Again.

Have a great day everyone. Sylvie: good luck tonight, that is going to be one tough slog.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am

I just went for a short 5.5 km this morning - it was all I could stand in the soup!

I came home and C gave me a big sweaty hug. She looked at my disgusted - "Mama - are you dirty? You wet!!!"
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

10k done - not as hot as yesterday, but still pretty darn warm and humid!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:26 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I just went for a short 5.5 km this morning - it was all I could stand in the soup!

I came home and C gave me a big sweaty hug. She looked at my disgusted - "Mama - are you dirty? You wet!!!"

Always find it amazing on how kids are so "Honest" and blunt, eh !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:34 pm

No run today. I am travelling to B.C. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Wilting Wednesday

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:29 pm

8k with 6 x 2 min repeats
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:52 pm

felt like 44 degrees here in Toronto with the humidity so just ran an easy 6 km.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Managed 7 times 1 & 1 on the TM. My left leg is still a mess (sore groin, hip & knee) but at least the right foot seems to be improving. Added 30 mins on the rowing machine. Frustration is not the word for it....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Just 5K on the treadmill for me, it's really hot even in my house, LOL.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 pm

It was way too hot for me to run with the RR tonight, and even now, at 10:11 pm apparently it feels like 38. Ugh. So I biked with my run buddy while she slogged through 5K, which worked well for both of us.
I was a bit taken aback to hear a run clinic group leader detailing the hill workout that was on tap for the group- it just seemed irresponsible. I mean maybe if you're a high level, experienced runner who is specifically looking for the benefit of heat training, maybe... but these people were definitely in the recreational camp and is it REALLY worth it to risk heatstroke to get in your hill workout? I'm not sure how many of them actually did the workout but I mentioned it to the manager after my friend and I got back. In my first marathon clinic, if the leader had told me to do a hill workout I probably would've done it- I was so paranoid about not finishing that I would've done whatever they told me to do, lol. I would just hate to think anyone had felt pressured to do something that was kind of dangerous (and this is ME talking... I love the heat usually!!).
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 pm

QuickChick wrote:I was a bit taken aback to hear a run clinic group leader detailing the hill workout that was on tap for the group- it just seemed irresponsible. I mean maybe if you're a high level, experienced runner who is specifically looking for the benefit of heat training, maybe... but these people were definitely in the recreational camp and is it REALLY worth it to risk heatstroke to get in your hill workout? I'm not sure how many of them actually did the workout but I mentioned it to the manager after my friend and I got back. In my first marathon clinic, if the leader had told me to do a hill workout I probably would've done it- I was so paranoid about not finishing that I would've done whatever they told me to do, lol. I would just hate to think anyone had felt pressured to do something that was kind of dangerous

I agree. That's what I dislike about the "Just do it" mentality; it's great if you're well-trained and know what you're doing...

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 pm

I would also agree. I can remember what it was like to be a new runner and I probably would have buckled to the pressure, especially in a group setting like that. It's damn hot out there and if you are a new runner and don't have a firm grasp on your own limits, tolerances and when "enough is enough", I think you could really do some damage out there.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Wilting Wednesday

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 pm

QuickChick wrote:It was way too hot for me to run with the RR tonight, and even now, at 10:11 pm apparently it feels like 38. Ugh. So I biked with my run buddy while she slogged through 5K, which worked well for both of us.
I was a bit taken aback to hear a run clinic group leader detailing the hill workout that was on tap for the group- it just seemed irresponsible. I mean maybe if you're a high level, experienced runner who is specifically looking for the benefit of heat training, maybe... but these people were definitely in the recreational camp and is it REALLY worth it to risk heatstroke to get in your hill workout? I'm not sure how many of them actually did the workout but I mentioned it to the manager after my friend and I got back. In my first marathon clinic, if the leader had told me to do a hill workout I probably would've done it- I was so paranoid about not finishing that I would've done whatever they told me to do, lol. I would just hate to think anyone had felt pressured to do something that was kind of dangerous (and this is ME talking... I love the heat usually!!).

I agree- not sure the RR always sends the right message.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Great open water clinic tonight, we probably covered around 1800m in a hour. Did some side by side swimming and close chasing to get used to the crowding that will happen in tri starts.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Jwolf wrote:
QuickChick wrote:It was way too hot for me to run with the RR tonight, and even now, at 10:11 pm apparently it feels like 38. Ugh. So I biked with my run buddy while she slogged through 5K, which worked well for both of us.

dehydrated and overheated clinic members buy more water belts. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 pm

about 8km tonight with my evening trail run group. We went on an adventure to the Big Trees. :)

"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:42 am

ultraslacker wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

dehydrated and overheated clinic members buy more water belts. :lol:

:lol:

I would probably feel the same pressure.

Today I had a short nap.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 am

As a clinic instructor, I nixed the tempo run tonight, and told them easy pace, so did the marathon clinic leader.

Speaking of which - 6K easy pace tonight!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”