Run-commuting

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Run-commuting

Postby Dstew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I would echo the word of caution about expecting too much from the commute.

I had stopped running for over a year due to a combination of burn out and chronic injuries. Work started to get crazy busy and I was putting in 12 - 14 hour days. Stressed out and too tired to do anything, something had to give. So I started to walk home. The walk then slowly evolved into a jog and then a run. Shower and locker and so would haul in work cloths and sometime even different running cloths. At times I would run with a lap top and some files if I were to work from home the next day. I considered the extra weight to be strength training.

The problems started when I went from having the run/ jog as a healthy way to exercise and for stress relief and started to use it as race training. Injuries and move to home office ended that experiment but if I were to it again, I would treat it more as a jog and healthy commute than race training.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:16 pm

I love the *idea* of run commuting but we don't have a shower at my office (and even if we did, I'd have to get there early enough to do shower, hair, make-up, the whole works... and somehow transport my clothes... and laptop.... lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

BJH
Lynn Williams

Run-commuting

Postby BJH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:45 am

runfbrun wrote:Picked up an Osprey back pack on the weekend. I've brought some toiletries and a towel to work. Will leave them here today. So, I'll just have to bring clean clothes, keys, wallet tomorrow.

It is not the backpack I was looking for, but it seems like it will do.

I was thinking about your towel (or towels in general) and thought that something that may be useful, for those that need to carry, to get a camp towel. They aren't as nice as wrapping yourself in a big fluffy towel as you exit the bath, but the are lightweight and absorbent.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Run-commuting

Postby BJH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 am

ultraslacker wrote:I love the *idea* of run commuting but we don't have a shower at my office (and even if we did, I'd have to get there early enough to do shower, hair, make-up, the whole works... and somehow transport my clothes... and laptop.... lol.

You have to do that stuff anyway and I find I'm faster at the gym than at home. I would belong to a gym anyway, but the monthly cost is lower than a transit pass. I carry business clothes, but can't help with the laptop. :) I remote into work so I don't carry a laptop.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 am

BJH wrote:I would belong to a gym anyway, but the monthly cost is lower than a transit pass.

That's an interesting way to think about it! It does help to justify those months that I use the gym as just a shower facility.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:55 am

I'd still have to buy a monthly bus pass because I need the seabus. :lol:

(and no nearby gym, that I know of!)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 am

First session of run-commuting done successfully. I was nervous the whole way through that I may have forgotten something, but so far so good. Have wallet, phone, swipe card, pants....its all good. The one thing I need to sort out is remembering what I put where in my back pack. So many little pockets!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Run-commuting

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 am

runfbrun wrote: The one thing I need to sort out is remembering what I put where in my back pack. So many little pockets!

Lol! I'm laughing because this is me. I've "lost" or "forgotten" my wallet or keys a few times only to realize later I had them the whole time.

Glad the commute went well.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 pm

RA. wrote:
BJH wrote:I would belong to a gym anyway, but the monthly cost is lower than a transit pass.

That's an interesting way to think about it! It does help to justify those months that I use the gym as just a shower facility.

Hmmm, yeah, hadn't thought about it that way. In the winter months (when I don't bike to work) my transit cost is only $26.50/week (assuming 10 trips/week), which is much less than a transit pass. My gym costs me $16.75/week (year-round).

The things I am most grateful for are:
1) That I live close enough that walking, running and cycling are all viable options, and that when I do take transit, it's not too painful.
2) That I have secure bike parking in my office building.
3) That I have multiple gym options near work and home that give me flexibility to get my workouts in regardless of my schedule.
4) That I have a flexible work schedule where I don't have to "punch a clock" and be here at specific times (days I'm teaching or if I have a meeting notwithstanding) so I can pop out in the middle of the day to go to the gym.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Run-commuting

Postby BJH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

runfbrun wrote:First session of run-commuting done successfully. I was nervous the whole way through that I may have forgotten something, but so far so good. Have wallet, phone, swipe card, pants....its all good. The one thing I need to sort out is remembering what I put where in my back pack. So many little pockets!

This is why I moved to a written checklist a while ago. I think I'm going to put it in a frame near the door as a more permanent thing.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

BJH wrote:
runfbrun wrote:First session of run-commuting done successfully. I was nervous the whole way through that I may have forgotten something, but so far so good. Have wallet, phone, swipe card, pants....its all good. The one thing I need to sort out is remembering what I put where in my back pack. So many little pockets!

This is why I moved to a written checklist a while ago. I think I'm going to put it in a frame near the door as a more permanent thing.

Or you could laminate it and attach it to the knapsack, like a luggage tag. Maybe have a back-up as a wallet card in case you use a different bag.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Run-commuting

Postby marymac442 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 pm

This is the biggest thing with run commuting or any kind of exercising enroute to work. I've been doing quite a bit of early morning swimming and bike commuting and transfer my gear between a couple of bags - so far I have forgotten a towel (luckily had a little camp towel) and my hairbrush (luckily have short wash & go hair). I need a checklist :).
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

Lesson learnt today - Do NOT leave swipe card in your jeans the previous day! I would have had to unpack my backpack to get at the swipe card out on the street. Luckily, my boss came to work at the same time and let me in.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:29 am

The more repeatable your habits are (i.e., always leaving pass card or keys in the same place), the less likely you are to forget something.

Speaking of checklists, I would think that you might need an at-work checklist (i.e., for when you're getting ready to leave for the day) and an at-home checklist (for when you're getting ready to run in). The items on those lists might be different.

Since I did a non-standard bike commute yesterday (left my bike at work overnight), I had to run through the logistics in my mind so that I didn't inadvertently leave anything at the office that I'd need at home (and vice versa). I almost left home this morning without shorts to ride home in, but I remembered as I was a few steps up the street, so still had time to go back.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:02 pm

La wrote:Speaking of checklists, I would think that you might need an at-work checklist (i.e., for when you're getting ready to leave for the day) and an at-home checklist (for when you're getting ready to run in). The items on those lists might be different.

That's a good point, I know pretty well what I need to have ready to bring to work the day before my run commute. But at the end of the work day I should have a check list too, because yesterday I forgot to leave my work cell at my desk. In the end it was not a real problem, but it is one thing less to worry about if it is at work.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:09 pm

marymac442 wrote:

This is the biggest thing with run commuting or any kind of exercising enroute to work. I've been doing quite a bit of early morning swimming and bike commuting and transfer my gear between a couple of bags - so far I have forgotten a towel (luckily had a little camp towel) and my hairbrush (luckily have short wash & go hair). I need a checklist :).

Good time to use that Sham-Wow you got for Christmas from your uncle a couple of years ago. They dry quickly.
I had to buy a shirt for work once. Have left my wallet and house keys at work. I have running and work clothes at work on my door. Always good to have Plan Bs.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:52 am

canalrunner wrote:
marymac442 wrote:

Good time to use that Sham-Wow you got for Christmas from your uncle a couple of years ago. They dry quickly.
I had to buy a shirt for work once. Have left my wallet and house keys at work. I have running and work clothes at work on my door. Always good to have Plan Bs.

The comical references to this post are hilarious, but I actually know someone (a co-worker as a matter of fact) that uses one of those doohickeys. They are pretty much the same as a camp towel.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “General Running Discussion”