Top 10 running fashion faux pas

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

BabyWolf
Tom Longboat

Re: Top 10 running fashion faux pas

Postby BabyWolf » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 pm

trixiee wrote:we can see the same sorts of faux pas in the cycling world.

if you hold up your shorts and can see through them, so can the cyclist behind you! :roll: Butt crack is not sexy, whether you're a plumber or a cyclist. YMMV.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guilty of the color matching myself...I've bought most of my tech gear to match the running shoes I had at the time, and while getting new shoes in different colors is just a fact of new models I still cannot say I will ever go out in a pair of pair of shorts that don't match my shirt if I happen to know that the shorts that do match aren't *that* dirty...
I've wasted precious time on this. :?

...and too late I've noticed this thread go blushable :oops: :lol:
Last edited by BabyWolf on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm guilty of the short shorts and shorts over tights (often both at the same time).

I don't understand what's wrong with short shorts. They're running shorts. It's not like I'm going to an orchestra concert.

As for shorts on top of tights: If it's cold enough to have to wear tights, it's cold enough for my junk to completely disappear and retreat into my abdomen. The shorts are just there so nobody sees my distinct lack of bulge.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:30 am

I'm a supporter of shorts over tights. I have horrific memories of my high school principal walking through school in x-country ski tights with his junk showing. He was not a good looking old man. I would have paid him to wear shorts over top. :shock:
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 am

Serial matcher here: hat, singlet, shoelaces, and handkerchief usually go together for races.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 pm

I am occasionally guilty of the loose-hair thing (see avatar), and I do wear a little makeup for races (photos). If I go for a run at lunch or after work, I'll be in full makeup, but hey, it beats skipping a run. I wear a water belt for long runs, too... it's not a fashion show.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:29 pm

sometimes I forget to wash my makeup off after work and before my group runs... but I hate it because by the end of the run I have raccoon eyes. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I wear shorts over tights. Wearing only tights would make this old lady look silly.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

EmilZatopek
Johnny Miles

Postby EmilZatopek » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 pm

I can't wear tights with shorts over them (just wrong for a guy), I think girls could get away with it. I saw a guy running in a half marathon with an all blue one piece tri suit, and matching blue calf guards, he scored big time on the running fashion faux pas.
If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not you'll find an excuse.

5k - 18:40
10 - 39:02
Half - 1:29:11

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 am

Meh, I just wear what I feel like wearing. Can't be too bothered about what other people think....

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 am

AjaxRunner wrote:Meh, I just wear what I feel like wearing. Can't be too bothered about what other people think....

this

not just when running but any other time where I am not required to be smart ( work )
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 pm

A good bulge means you're a good runner (for men). Leave the shorts for the summer!

Besides that's more of a pre-run meeting problem. When I'm running I'm not looking at anyone's bodies.

Matching isn't bad. I think most people wear things that complement the rest of their outfit. I guess my real pet peeve is when people were things like Basketball shorts or other gigantically loose clothing. Not so much with the people I run with but you see them in a race or on the streets.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:45 pm

My shorts over tights aren't to cover my junk for dignity, they're to keep my junk a bit warmer on cold days. Also to give me pockets to carry key, phone, gels (because my tights don't have pockets but my shorts do).

As long as we're on matchy-matchy - does anyone else thing about matching manufacturers? I think about it sometimes when I'm wearing Nike shoes, deFeet socks, Pearl Izumi tights, Lululemon shorts, REI shirt, Puma shirt, Adidas hat.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm

I have never considered it strange to mix brands! I figure as long as stuff "goes" it's all good.

Guys... what about wind pants over the tights for the extra layer of warmth?

Also, I wonder if anyone has considered making men's tights or tight shorts with padding- not to enhance (haha White Goodman!!) but to sort of tone things down a bit? Like lined bras for women that tame the nipp-ons? That could eliminate the need for the shorts over tights look. Hmmm, hello Dragon's Den...
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm

turd ferguson wrote:As long as we're on matchy-matchy - does anyone else thing about matching manufacturers? I think about it sometimes when I'm wearing Nike shoes, deFeet socks, Pearl Izumi tights, Lululemon shorts, REI shirt, Puma shirt, Adidas hat.

I think about it when I am wearing my lulu skirt with my lulu tank and lulu underpants and lulu socks. Sadly, their bras don't work for me.

I top it all off with a Sugoi visor, but lulu has a visor in their "we made too much" section. I am tempted...

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 pm

With my current running gear, I don't think I could step out all in one brand even if I wanted to. My gear is a mish-mash of Saucony(shoes), Nike (most of my tech shirts), Adidas(most shorts), Puma (most socks), Oakley and an assortment of hats.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:35 pm

AjaxRunner wrote:Meh, I just wear what I feel like wearing. Can't be too bothered about what other people think....

Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I have favourite brands for different items of clothing, so it's usually a mix (though like FP, I'm guilty of wearing ridiculous amounts of lulu! It's so comfortable!).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:30 am

QuickChick wrote:
Also, I wonder if anyone has considered making men's tights or tight shorts with padding- not to enhance (haha White Goodman!!) but to sort of tone things down a bit? Like lined bras for women that tame the nipp-ons? That could eliminate the need for the shorts over tights look. Hmmm, hello Dragon's Den...
That's why I always wear boxer briefs underneath - one more layer for dignity and the extra length to avoid VPL!

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 am

Darth Tater wrote:

They told me they weren't going to post that on the interwebz...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 am

I don't usually pay much attention to this stuff but today on Kits beach I saw a woman running in a hot pink shirt, matching hot pink running skirt, and bright neon orange running shoes. She looked a bit silly. And she was using headphones and neither of us waved. :p
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am

mccully wrote:I'm a dork in all other areas of my life so it seems fitting that I'm a dork in the running world too ;) And I wear a fuel belt. I've also been known to wear a fanny pack. I'm the coolest.

Right on! \M/

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't usually pay much attention to this stuff but today on Kits beach I saw a woman running in a hot pink shirt, matching hot pink running skirt, and bright neon orange running shoes. She looked a bit silly. And she was using headphones and neither of us waved. :p

Clearly her central governor was broken
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 am

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I don't usually pay much attention to this stuff but today on Kits beach I saw a woman running in a hot pink shirt, matching hot pink running skirt, and bright neon orange running shoes. She looked a bit silly. And she was using headphones and neither of us waved. :p

Clearly her central governor was broken

I couldn't tell if she had taken any pseudoephedrine.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Run2Be
Johnny Miles

Postby Run2Be » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm not really fussy with what I wear and don't really care what others wear. Running stuff is expensive and I rather see people out running in whatever they can afford or feel comfortable in then stay at home scared of what the "real runners" will think.

Many people are afraid to try new things because they fear they will not fit in or look silly, I think articles like this, encourage people to believe that. It may be tongue in cheek but judging people on appearance is wrong.

(Off soap box now)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Run2Be wrote:I'm not really fussy with what I wear and don't really care what others wear. Running stuff is expensive and I rather see people out running in whatever they can afford or feel comfortable in then stay at home scared of what the "real runners" will think.

Many people are afraid to try new things because they fear they will not fit in or look silly, I think articles like this, encourage people to believe that. It may be tongue in cheek but judging people on appearance is wrong.

(Off soap box now)

I agreed with you completely back on page 1 and I still agree with you. This can be the sort of thing that keeps people on the couch - fear of being judged.

Return to “General Running Discussion”