2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 am

Registration for the 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend is now open .... :)

http://www.runottawa.ca/races/register


Race
Ottawa Marathon - Sunday May 25, 2014 (Max 5,500)
Ottawa Marathon Walk - Sunday May 25, 2014
Ottawa 1/2 Marathon - Sunday May 25, 2014 (Max 11,800)
Ottawa 1/2 Marathon Walk - Sunday May 25, 2014
Ottawa 10k - Saturday May 24, 2014 (Max 10,500)
Ottawa 5k - Saturday May 24, 2014 (Max 9,500)

Ottawa 2k - Saturday May 24, 2014 (Max 3,600)
Ottawa Y Kids' Marathon - Sunday May 25, 2014 (Max 2,000)
Ottawa Wheelchair Marathon - Sunday May 25, 2014
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
Run26.2
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6231
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:53 am
Location: The Nation's Capital

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Run26.2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Just registered for the full.
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:30 am

fyi ....

All participants who sign up for the Ottawa Marathon race before Dec 1st will receive a complimentary 40th anniversary commemorative book written by Mark Sutcliffe.

The Magnificent Marathon

40 years running in Ottawa
By Mark Sutcliffe

On May 25, 1975, 146 runners gathered to run the first Ottawa Marathon. Little did they know that one day the race would be come the premiere distance race in Canada. On May 25, 2014 more than 6,200 runners are expected to participate in the 40th edition of what has become Canada's preeminent Marathon.

With a stunningly scenic course and outstanding runner experience with over 100,000 spectators, the Ottawa Marathon has grown rapidly as the flagship race of an annual running event that attracts more than 44,000 people to a world-class capital city. To celebrate this milestone year, Run Ottawa is producing a special commemorative book that will be available to all participants, past and present. Authored by Ottawa writer, broadcaster and iRun founder Mark Sutcliffe, The Magnificent Marathon will tell the story of Canada's biggest, best and most historic Marathon.


Image
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Half Marathon is at around 59% SOLD OUT now .... fyi ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
NMG
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby NMG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

HCcD wrote:Half Marathon is at around 59% SOLD OUT now .... fyi ....


:shock: :shock: :shock:

Geez, I guess I better decide what I'm running!

User avatar
jes
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7587
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: Farrhaven

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby jes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 am

Ok, signed up for the half!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

User avatar
Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2348
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:28 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am

I'll probably sign up for the marathon. Ed is thinking the marathon might be his goal race for the Spring. It would appear that we have a week or two to decide. ;)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31340
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: burlington, ON

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby deerdree » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 am

i will be in ottawa that weekend, but i don't think i'll be running. if i can get back to half-marathon shape (a girl can dream), i'm more inclined to go with the familiar, downhill mississauga course (which also happens to be cheaper), and save ottawa for cheering and fun.

that said, can someone describe the half course to me? i haven't done a race there in years and the current half map is completely unfamiliar to me (well, i recognize the streets, but not enough to know their elevation and such). hilly? windy? chance of shade if it's a hot day?

User avatar
NMG
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby NMG » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 pm

deerdree wrote:that said, can someone describe the half course to me? i haven't done a race there in years and the current half map is completely unfamiliar to me (well, i recognize the streets, but not enough to know their elevation and such). hilly? windy? chance of shade if it's a hot day?


It looks like it's the same course as last year. I would characterize it as pretty flat with not much shade. There are a fair number of trees along the first 4KM's, but nothing that would completely block the sun. The rest of the course is pretty wide open. Wind could be an issue at the mid-way point of the course for a few KM's when you are along the river on the Ottawa side. When you cross over into Gatineau there is some shelter from some of the buildings and such. Same goes for the rest of the course on the Ottawa side. There are also some small hills on the Gatineau side, but nothing that will hamper your run in the grand scheme of things. Overall, it is a very scenic course though and I think they do a great job of breaking up the race into different sections, each with a different "feel". I found that the race went by very quickly and I think allot of that is due to the variety of the surroundings. The crowd support is also excellent. Lots of people out cheering, playing music, etc.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31340
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: burlington, ON

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby deerdree » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

NMG wrote:
deerdree wrote:that said, can someone describe the half course to me? i haven't done a race there in years and the current half map is completely unfamiliar to me (well, i recognize the streets, but not enough to know their elevation and such). hilly? windy? chance of shade if it's a hot day?


It looks like it's the same course as last year. I would characterize it as pretty flat with not much shade. There are a fair number of trees along the first 4KM's, but nothing that would completely block the sun. The rest of the course is pretty wide open. Wind could be an issue at the mid-way point of the course for a few KM's when you are along the river on the Ottawa side. When you cross over into Gatineau there is some shelter from some of the buildings and such. Same goes for the rest of the course on the Ottawa side. There are also some small hills on the Gatineau side, but nothing that will hamper your run in the grand scheme of things. Overall, it is a very scenic course though and I think they do a great job of breaking up the race into different sections, each with a different "feel". I found that the race went by very quickly and I think allot of that is due to the variety of the surroundings. The crowd support is also excellent. Lots of people out cheering, playing music, etc.

thank you! that's very helpful.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Irongirl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:43 pm

So, I'm about to hit register - and, I notice that the HST is added to the fee.....

I can't find my registration e-mail from last year, but, I feel like normally the taxes were included in the fee.

So it's normally $80 + service fee = 86 or something.

NOW, I it's $80 + HST (11) + service fee (6.50) = $97.75!

Now, we know that they're going to sell out, so, obviously there's no point in complaining....but, could someone check last year's registration e-mail to see if I'm out to lunch or not?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31340
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: burlington, ON

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby deerdree » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 pm

I just went through Mississauga registration to see what the post-tax difference would be - surprising to see a "medal fee" line (even though it appears to be nil):

Entry fee: $ 65 CDN.
Event HST: $ 8.45
Medal fee: $
Discount: - $
Limited-Time Offers: $
Processing fee: $ 6.22
Total: $ 79.67 CDN.

Marg
Site Admin
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Marg » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:27 am

Irongirl wrote:So, I'm about to hit register - and, I notice that the HST is added to the fee.....

I can't find my registration e-mail from last year, but, I feel like normally the taxes were included in the fee.

So it's normally $80 + service fee = 86 or something.

NOW, I it's $80 + HST (11) + service fee (6.50) = $97.75!

Now, we know that they're going to sell out, so, obviously there's no point in complaining....but, could someone check last year's registration e-mail to see if I'm out to lunch or not?


For 2013:
Total Due : $81.22 (Taxes included, if applicable)
Paid Amount : $81.22
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 am

Marg wrote:
Irongirl wrote:So, I'm about to hit register - and, I notice that the HST is added to the fee.....

I can't find my registration e-mail from last year, but, I feel like normally the taxes were included in the fee.

So it's normally $80 + service fee = 86 or something.

NOW, I it's $80 + HST (11) + service fee (6.50) = $97.75!

Now, we know that they're going to sell out, so, obviously there's no point in complaining....but, could someone check last year's registration e-mail to see if I'm out to lunch or not?


For 2013:
Total Due : $81.22 (Taxes included, if applicable)
Paid Amount : $81.22


If you are a valid member of the Run Ottawa Club, you get a $5.00 (plus HST) discount :dance: :dance:

So, yeah ... $91.53 for a half marathon ...

eta: Kinda like it now, when some race directors put a flat rate fee on their site, that already includes all the fees and taxes, etc ., so to avoid any surprises on checkout ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Irongirl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:56 am

so, last year, HST was in fact included in the listed price. This year, it's not.

That's quite the difference!

off to note this on their twitter and/or facebook.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
NMG
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby NMG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm in for the 1/2 again!

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby La » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 am

I will have to wait until closer to the date (assuming the bib transfer option is available again) since I'm not signing up for any races in advance in 2014. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 am

HalfM is now 91% sold; FullM is 48% sold.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 am

HalfM is now 91% sold; FullM is 48% sold.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 am

Jo-Jo wrote:HalfM is now 91% sold; FullM is 48% sold.


crazy!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

newbie
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby newbie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 am

I just registered, I hate registering for races this far in advance though
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

newbie wrote:I just registered, I hate registering for races this far in advance though



I agree.
Because of the transfer fee charged by most races when bibs are sold to someone else I think it's a great additional revenue stream for races :roll: :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

User avatar
Pat29
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1370
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:42 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Pat29 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm

I am most likely in for the marathon again and will register soon.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run


My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

AND IT'S GONE

Postby canalrunner » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

Ottawa Marathon 50%
Ottawa Half-Marathon 100%
Ottawa 10K 51%
Ottawa 5K 26%
Ottawa 2K 32%
Ottawa Kids Marathon 7%
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: AND IT'S GONE

Postby La » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

canalrunner wrote:Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

I think the RR clinics are to "blame" for the rush on registrations. They push it very hard and encourage people to sign up early.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests