MEC races

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

MEC races

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 am

Anyone been doing them? A few guys from work are doing the 5k this weekend so signed up for the 10k (Toronto one).

$15, chip timed - is this what races should really cost?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: MEC races

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:29 am

Bryan (Stampie) did one of the ones here in June and Cheryl (chunky...) has some some others. Both said really good things about them. They have some longer ones here now with half-marathons and I'm probably doing the one on November 16.

The races are not chip timed (just hand timed) and are not certified distances, but a great value for $15. Great value. :) You also get to go to MEC at a special time in the week after the race for a discount on most things in the store.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:21 am

Ah OK, the results had a chip time but it looks like it's always the same as the gun time!
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 am

It would be hard to offer chip timing for that cheap. Another way they save money here is by having the races on park paths and trails (sometimes paved, sometimes gravel but not technical trails), so they don't have to get road closure approval from the city. They still have to have event insurance but they keep everything else bare bones. So they are essentially self-sponsored and can use their existing event infrastructure. As I see it, everyone wins- MEC gets promotion and runners get a low-cost race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:55 am

They held an event in June at which the 5K was manually-timed, but the longer events were chip-timed. At the event in July, all were manually-timed. They may have decided chips were too expensive.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:10 pm

jgore wrote:They held an event in June at which the 5K was manually-timed, but the longer events were chip-timed. At the event in July, all were manually-timed. They may have decided chips were too expensive.

Ah OK, maybe that's where I got the idea they were chipped.

By manual, you mean that machine where they enter the number and get a formal time as you cross? That's precise enough I figure!

jono
Visit my blog!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

MEC races

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:18 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
jgore wrote:They held an event in June at which the 5K was manually-timed, but the longer events were chip-timed. At the event in July, all were manually-timed. They may have decided chips were too expensive.

By manual, you mean that machine where they enter the number and get a formal time as you cross? That's precise enough I figure!

jono

Manually-timed usually means people are hand-recording bib numbers and times. Often there is one person who writes down only the times as people cross and another person collects tabs from people's bibs with the bib number. Racers are told to "stay in order" as they leave the finish chute, and times are matched with bib numbers (which are later matched with names). This is how small races always used to be done. No machines, but an official clock showing the time.

Note that "chip-timed" doesn't always mean there will be a different gun time vs net time, because some small races use chips for convenience but only have one timing mat at the finish.

Obviously as races get bigger it becomes more and more difficult to hand-time, but many races even with a couple thousand people were still doing this even less than ten years ago. People seem to expect "chip timing" now even for small events, but it's really not necessary (or fool-proof).

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Manually-timed usually means people are hand-recording bib numbers and times. Often there is one person who writes down only the times as people cross and another person collects tabs from people's bibs with the bib number. Racers are told to "stay in order" as they leave the finish chute, and times are matched with bib numbers (which are later matched with names). This is how small races always used to be done. No machines, but an official clock showing the time.

Note that "chip-timed" doesn't always mean there will be a different gun time vs net time, because some small races use chips for convenience but only have one timing mat at the finish.

Obviously as races get bigger it becomes more and more difficult to hand-time, but many races even with a couple thousand people were still doing this even less than ten years ago. People seem to expect "chip timing" now even for small events, but it's really not necessary (or fool-proof).

Jen, the term "manually-timed" rarely refers to the old pen, paper, and stopwatch method. It's now used to refer to either standalone timing machines with built-in clocks or computers with buttons attached or timing keys assigned for recording accurate times. Finishers are kept in order in the finish-chute until the tear-offs are collected from the race bibs.

Chips are often used for recording times without providing net-chip-time. In most cases, net-chip-time is provided simply as a courtesy to runners, because awards are based on gun-time. Basing awards on net-chip-time turns an event into a time-trial rather than a race. With most systems, providing net time also costs more.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

MEC races

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I guess I've done some pretty old-school races then. :)

But thanks for the info because I didn't know there was anything in between.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 am

It's chip timed! All distances.

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:35 am

OK just got back.

The good:
- Price
- Chip timed
- Nice crowds
- Friendly staff and volunteers
- Free bag thing with race kit

The bad:
- 10k was 9.5k
- Route marking was confusing in a couple places
- No Gatorade on course? At least from the aid station I try to get it at... this was a 21.1k/10k/5k, so that's rough

I'd have been kind of pissy about "the bad" if it had cost me much more than $15. :) So all in all still good value. Bring your own snacks.

jono
Visit my blog!

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Hey, I wonder if our paths crossed today - I was one of many non-MEC racers who just happened to be incorporating the Spit into Sunday's long run. If you remember seeing a short woman wearing black shorts, black tank top, bright pink hat and carrying a water bottle, running with a taller woman wearing a similar outfit, the short one was me. :)

(I hope you didn't see me during one of my "this headwind is sucking the life out of me" walk breaks!).

It looked like a pretty well-organized event and I'm glad you found more goods than bads.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Return to “General Running Discussion”