Getting Better With Age - Ed Whitlock

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Getting Better With Age - Ed Whitlock

Postby HCcD » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:34 am

Ed Whitlock setting a new world record for the half marathon in the 80+ category at the Milton Half Marathon earlier this morning. Ed's new world record is 1:38:11, beating his old time of 1:38:59 set at the inaugural Milton Half Marathon in 2012. Ed is 82 years young!

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Getting Better With Age - Ed Whitlock

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 am

I saw him yesterday, he's like a gazelle! He's such a nice man too.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Awesome.

Glad to see he is back running hard; he's had some injury issues over the past couple of years. Many more records to set if he can stay healthy for a complete season.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 pm

My new goal for the Army Half is beating Ed....

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Whenever my friends start complaining about being in their 50's and saying they're getting older and their bodies are too old for running I bring up Ed's name. He will continue to be an inspiration to me, for his perseverance through injury, running ability and character. Way to go Ed!!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:02 pm

All I am going to say is "WOW". It kind of makes me want to run with a bag over my head, when I barely break 2 hours in the half. :roll:
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 am

barebuns1 wrote:All I am going to say is "WOW". It kind of makes me want to run with a bag over my head, when I barely break 2 hours in the half. :roll:

Hehehe...I was thinking the same thing. I would love to be in an event with him, or even just be a spectator. He's some kind of special...it would be like seeing Roger Federer play tennis a few years back, you know your watching quite possibly the best ever. Others are faster, but my God this man is in his 80's and still doing this.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:11 am

getfit wrote:He will continue to be an inspiration to me, for his perseverance through injury, running ability and character. Way to go Ed!!

Same here!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am

getfit wrote:Whenever my friends start complaining about being in their 50's and saying they're getting older and their bodies are too old for running I bring up Ed's name. He will continue to be an inspiration to me, for his perseverance through injury, running ability and character. Way to go Ed!!

Well said!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

At that age, having the ability and desire to come back from injuries and get to where he was 4 or 5 years ago... astonishing. I wish I could do that, and I'm much less than half his age. He's very inspiring.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm

getfit wrote:Whenever my friends start complaining about being in their 50's and saying they're getting older and their bodies are too old for running I bring up Ed's name. He will continue to be an inspiration to me, for his perseverance through injury, running ability and character. Way to go Ed!!

Sorry, I don't completely agree.

I admire everything Ed has done, I really do, but comparing yourself to the very very best in the world isn't (IMO) productive or helpful. He's awesome and inspiring but saying things like "Ed can do it, why can't you" ends in sadness.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I find the middle and back of the pack even more inspiring than the front of the pack.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

I admire everything Ed has done, I really do, but comparing yourself to the very very best in the world isn't (IMO) productive or helpful. He's awesome and inspiring but saying things like "Ed can do it, why can't you" ends in sadness.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I find the middle and back of the pack even more inspiring than the front of the pack.

Interesting point.

I love the back of the pack runners and their stories. This weekend I ran with a woman who had lost 60 pounds and started running...I asked her why she had started on her running journey. She told me that she has two special needs children (both on the autism spectrum...both non verbal) and the stress of dealing with this had lead her to overeating and putting on the weight. Two years ago she decided that she needed to take care of herself and accept her children as they were. And voila...she is running the Army 5km this coming weekend...her first race! I love these stories...they inspire me.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 pm

The thing about Ed is that he's a front of the pack runner with a middle of the pack attitude. Running seems to be something that keeps him busy and happy but he's almost embarrassed by some of the attention it brings him. Accomplishments aside, it's that mindset that inspires me, especially when contrasted with the middle of the pack athletes with front of the pack egos.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:40 pm

ian wrote:The thing about Ed is that he's a front of the pack runner with a middle of the pack attitude. Running seems to be something that keeps him busy and happy but he's almost embarrassed by some of the attention it brings him. Accomplishments aside, it's that mindset that inspires me, especially when contrasted with the middle of the pack athletes with front of the pack egos.

Not meant to be a slag on Ed at all. I just want to be realistic about who I aspire to be when I'm 80, and I'm probably more Ed Asner than Ed Whitlock.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

I understand what your saying, and your right, I don't really compare myself to anyone when running, and frankly if you beat me by 2hrs in a race I'm happy for you as well. I think my competitive streak ended when I was about 22 and my Univ basketball days were coming to an end. My inspiration from Ed comes from the fact he is still fit and strong at 82, and its something to strive for. Not to be as fast, but to be active, smart and fit. The times are impressive, but there's no way I want to be him. For context I also find Fauja Singh quite inspiring as well, and he's quite slow, but he's still plodding away at over 100.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm

ian wrote:The thing about Ed is that he's a front of the pack runner with a middle of the pack attitude. Running seems to be something that keeps him busy and happy but he's almost embarrassed by some of the attention it brings him. Accomplishments aside, it's that mindset that inspires me, especially when contrasted with the middle of the pack athletes with front of the pack egos.

I was volunteering near the stage area at the TO Waterfront Marathon in '09, when he missed a new half marathon record by seconds (but still received a lot of formal recognition). Long after the place had cleared out, it was the cliche scene of a bunch of people sweeping up and disassembling stuff. The old, tiny man was just quietly walking around by himself (I think trying to find the underground parking) and it just struck me as the ultimate distance running image. If you didn't know who he was, you'd never guess.

I love that he runs in his simple club singlet. He's easily the most recognizable runner in a city of 5+ million... I'm sure he could get an endorsement for the latest nutrition drink/bar or be displayed like a prop at race expos, but he seems so pure and old school.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 pm

dgrant wrote:

I was volunteering near the stage area at the TO Waterfront Marathon in '09, when he missed a new half marathon record by seconds (but still received a lot of formal recognition). Long after the place had cleared out, it was the cliche scene of a bunch of people sweeping up and disassembling stuff. The old, tiny man was just quietly walking around by himself (I think trying to find the underground parking) and it just struck me as the ultimate distance running image. If you didn't know who he was, you'd never guess.

I love that he runs in his simple club singlet. He's easily the most recognizable runner in a city of 5+ million... I'm sure he could get an endorsement for the latest nutrition drink/bar or be displayed like a prop at race expos, but he seems so pure and old school.

I remember your posting about that after that race.
I know...I've said this over and over again...I still regret not saying hello to him when he was standing behind me in line at CTRR 2006 post race lunch.
Yes...I confess...I think I have a bit of a crush on this guy. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:27 am

A nice article posted on Athletics Illustrated .... Ed Whitlock a relunctant hero

http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/ed-whitlock-a-relunctant-hero/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:13 am

turd ferguson wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I think what I'm getting at is the fact that if Ed at 82 yrs old can do what he does, it gives the rest of us hope that yes, maybe age is a relative term. I would never say to my 81 yr old mother, hey Ed is older than you and he can run marathons, why can't you? I don't even compare myself to Ed, I would jump for joy if I could run even a 2:10 1/2 marathon. But he inspires me and makes me think that yes, maybe I do have a lot of good years still left to run and chase down those race goals.

On a side note, I met Ed a few years ago while he was working in his front garden. My friend and I stopped to chat with him during our run and he was a lovely man, who was much more interested in hearing about our training and upcoming races, than talking about his own. In a world of sports heroes that fall from grace, I'm glad there are people like Ed in this world.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:37 am

Personally, I find inspiration in excellence. I can aspire to it without being unrealistic. If breaking records at 82 is possible, then certainly we can all aspire to a fit and healthy life at that age.

When I was 30, I got my butt thoroughly kicked during kendo practice by a 76 year old man. He did it again at 80 when I saw him next. He continued to practice into his 90s before he passed. This guy was a kendo legend and I will never be as good as he was, but nevertheless he has inspired me to keep practicing and improving, with the goal of kicking a few younger butts myself when I am in my 70s.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 am

getfit wrote:On a side note, I met Ed a few years ago while he was working in his front garden. My friend and I stopped to chat with him during our run and he was a lovely man, who was much more interested in hearing about our training and upcoming races, than talking about his own. In a world of sports heroes that fall from grace, I'm glad there are people like Ed in this world.

Yes! I heart Ed.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 am

I'm getting better with age, too. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

La wrote:I'm getting better with age, too. ;)

Just like great wines! LOL
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Return to “General Running Discussion”